DeAngelo vs. Smith

Smith is a professional and being that 2008 will be his first year with the Falcons, I have no doubt that he'll get along with Deangelo.

Will Deangelo Hall get along with Smith? That's an entirely different question. I'm willing to bet that after the Petrino reign, all of the veteran players will appreciate Smith greatly.

josiah (1/23/2008)
Smith is a professional and being that 2008 will be his first year with the Falcons, I have no doubt that he'll get along with Deangelo.

Will Deangelo Hall get along with Smith? That's an entirely different question. I'm willing to bet that after the Petrino reign, all of the veteran players will appreciate Smith greatly.

I'm hoping Smith can combine the player-friendliness of Mora with businesslike attitude of Petrino. Not a martinet, but not necessarily the players' close buddy either.

fan since 1968 (1/23/2008)
josiah (1/23/2008)

I'm hoping Smith can combine the player-friendliness of Mora with businesslike attitude of Petrino. Not a martinet, but not necessarily the players' close buddy either.

i wouldnt mind smith being their buddy as long as they produce on the field.

I hope his first order of business with Hall is to issue him a roll of duct tape and tell him to use it whenever he even thinks about speaking about anything related to himself or shutting anyone down. His second order of business should be to set out a chart of fines for his antics before they ever start. This way he'll have it on paper how much it will cost him before he even thinks about doing anything stupid.

I believe Smith can gain Hall's respect. I remember a lot of Hall's complaints about BP were centered around him being so distant from the players. You had to go through several different coaches just to get a message to him. There was little or no direct contact with the HC. From comments on other posts from Smith's current players, he is hard nosed and demanding, but at the same time he is accessible to his players. I think the players, Hall included, will respond to this leadership style.