Rivals moves Florida to #1 in recruiting

Headshot

CrimsonKat (1/23/2008)
Great close to this class for Florida. Alabama is lurking at #3, and with a strong finish could overcome the Gators for the top spot.

How many guys are you going to add to this class? I thought "Bama already had 26 committed.

As far as I'm concerned the recruiting numbers mean jack to me. Until they get on the field and contribute, I take the rankings with a grain of salt. Production speaks louder than speculation. Name the school that's had the most consecutive top 10 recruiting classes in a row please? That's right UGA. What does that mean? Nothing. We have a few SEC Championships to show for it, but no National Championships. The rankings mean jack to me. Give me production and I don't care if you have the 100th ranked class.

Go Dawgs!

popcornplaya (1/23/2008)
As far as I'm concerned the recruiting numbers mean jack to me. Until they get on the field and contribute, I take the rankings with a grain of salt. Production speaks louder than speculation. Name the school that's had the most consecutive top 10 recruiting classes in a row please? That's right UGA. What does that mean? Nothing. We have a few SEC Championships to show for it, but no National Championships. The rankings mean jack to me. Give me production and I don't care if you have the 100th ranked class.

Go Dawgs!

Right on point there. It always help to have "better athletes" show up on campus, you can't really deny that; but how well they are coached and how coachable they are matters much more. Especially in football.

I agree that recruiting ranking dont mean a thing until its proven on the field but I cant but notice that Rivals had DeAngelo Tyson as the No.1 DT in the nation and a 5 star recruit for a long time at one point. As soon as the rumors came out that Omar Hunter, who was a 4 star recruit for awhile, was seriously considering the Gators, Rivals bumps him from a 4 star to a 5 star and moving him from the No.4 or 5 spot to the No. 2 spot. Then they turn around and drop Tyson from a 5 star to a 4 star and moving him from the top spot to the No. 4 slot.

xnex (1/23/2008)
CrimsonKat (1/23/2008)
Great close to this class for Florida. Alabama is lurking at #3, and with a strong finish could overcome the Gators for the top spot.

How many guys are you going to add to this class? I thought "Bama already had 26 committed.

We do have 26, a couple were back-counters. One is more than likely a pro baseball signee. And there are some academic concerns with one or two prospects. With that said, I expect Alabama to sign about four more in this class.

CrimsonKat (1/24/2008)
xnex (1/23/2008)
CrimsonKat (1/23/2008)

We do have 26, a couple were back-counters. One is more than likely a pro baseball signee. And there are some academic concerns with one or two prospects. With that said, I expect Alabama to sign about four more in this class.

Well I think you guys need to back off on Harbin and also maybe suggest to Quinn that he stay in state and play with SC. That's what a good "conf. mate" would do anyway.:cool:

xnex (1/24/2008)
CrimsonKat (1/24/2008)
xnex (1/23/2008)
CrimsonKat (1/23/2008)

Well I think you guys need to back off on Harbin and also maybe suggest to Quinn that he stay in state and play with SC. That's what a good "conf. mate" would do anyway.:cool:

You need to pull for us to get Quinn -- if we get Quinn, Harbin will not have a firm offer and Harbin will be a Gamecock. In fact, with us slowplaying Harbin a bit, I think he may end up a Gamecock either way.

freakyfalcon (1/24/2008)
I agree that recruiting ranking dont mean a thing until its proven on the field but I cant but notice that Rivals had DeAngelo Tyson as the No.1 DT in the nation and a 5 star recruit for a long time at one point. As soon as the rumors came out that Omar Hunter, who was a 4 star recruit for awhile, was seriously considering the Gators, Rivals bumps him from a 4 star to a 5 star and moving him from the No.4 or 5 spot to the No. 2 spot. Then they turn around and drop Tyson from a 5 star to a 4 star and moving him from the top spot to the No. 4 slot.

We will see who the #1 DT was this year in a few years and I know who my money will be on. DeAngelo Tyson had a great all-star game as well and is a freaking awesome prospect. AJ Green dropping to #17 was a joke. He is a top 10 player in the country period. When two of the guys who handle the rankings were asked about AJ Green's dropping they couldn't say one reason why it happened. UGA's class is awesome this year. We got some great cbs, lbs, rbs, oline, dline, safeties, wrs, and one of the best tight ends in the country and one of the best kickers in the country. UGA filled EVERY NEED plus some. I will be posting a roster by class after signing day showing how deep and talented this team is. I am loving it right now. Great to be a Dawg fan.

SacFalcFan (1/24/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/24/2008)

We will see who the #1 DT was this year in a few years and I know who my money will be on. DeAngelo Tyson had a great all-star game as well and is a freaking awesome prospect. AJ Green dropping to #17 was a joke. He is a top 10 player in the country period. When two of the guys who handle the rankings were asked about AJ Green's dropping they couldn't say one reason why it happened. UGA's class is awesome this year. We got some great cbs, lbs, rbs, oline, dline, safeties, wrs, and one of the best tight ends in the country and one of the best kickers in the country. UGA filled EVERY NEED plus some. I will be posting a roster by class after signing day showing how deep and talented this team is. I am loving it right now. Great to be a Dawg fan.

Nothing against Tyson or Hunter but Ive seen them all and Marcus Forston is the best by a long shot. He is darn near unblockable.

SacFalcFan (1/24/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/24/2008)

Oh and by the way Sac, Green is rankend #9 so that still makes him a top 10 player. ;)

Jgator2113 (1/24/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/24/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/24/2008)

Oh and by the way Sac, Green is rankend #9 so that still makes him a top 10 player. ;)

Well the rivals update on him had him having dropped to #17 a few weeks ago in his profile which was what people were upset with. He definately is a top 10 player.

Jgator2113 (1/24/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/24/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/24/2008)

Nothing against Tyson or Hunter but Ive seen them all and Marcus Forston is the best by a long shot. He is darn near unblockable.

Forston is a beast indeed. I was really referring to the state of georgia however regarding the #1 DT (between omar and tyson). :)

Statick (1/24/2008)
Rivals ranking system has always been a mystery to me.

How'd AJ Green drop so far down all of a sudden?

Once again, he only dropped 4 spots. It was more a case of other prospects looking great in All Star games and the practices leading up to them. In the end it really doesnt matter because he is a phenominal talent and all the guys in the top 10 are pretty equal in talent.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on who you are) the true rankings are decided on the field. I never understood why people followed these recruiting rankings so closely. They change all the time. All these rankings are good for is letting you know if you have a good recruiting class, not if your class is 15 points better than the next.

I rather be a team that has a NC contending roster already in place who is adding talent and depth than a team like Florida who needs to see improvement in a lot of areas to be a contender. Just IMO...

Remarkable (1/24/2008)
Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on who you are) the true rankings are decided on the field. I never understood why people followed these recruiting rankings so closely. They change all the time. All these rankings are good for is letting you know if you have a good recruiting class, not if your class is 15 points better than the next.

I rather be a team that has a NC contending roster already in place who is adding talent and depth than a team like Florida who needs to see improvement in a lot of areas to be a contender. Just IMO...

100% agree with you. The rankings are also potential. For instance kansas is a prime example of coaches who coaches up talent.

I also agree with some of you guys 100%. Recruiting classes mean nothing until those players step on the field. Take 2 guys who really bolstered our recruiting class last year-- Carlos Dunlap and Torrey (sp?) Davis. Dunlap was the #1 ranked DE and Davis was the #2 ranked DT (or the numbers may have been reversed, I can't quite remember) and neither one of them contributed much this year when they got on the field.

None of this matters until the game is played, it's just a measurement of POTENTIAL not PRODUCTION.

Headshot (1/23/2008)
Our recruiting classes have been just amazing ever since Meyer got here. This guy can definitely recruit.

Who the heck did I miss us landing???

Edit: Is this because of Hunter? I thought we already got boosted up to 4 because of him.

Imagine if UF got Julio Jones or Darrell Scott. I know that would be a little ridiculous.

What a dissapointment if the Tebow/Harvin class doesn't get a ring with the three classes this strong.

busboyisback (1/25/2008)
Headshot (1/23/2008)
Our recruiting classes have been just amazing ever since Meyer got here. This guy can definitely recruit.

Edit: Is this because of Hunter? I thought we already got boosted up to 4 because of him.

Imagine if UF got Julio Jones or Darrell Scott. I know that would be a little ridiculous.

What a dissapointment if the Tebow/Harvin class doesn't get a ring with the three classes this strong.

That would be ridiculous and it's not going to happen.. :)

However you did lose out to FAU for a recruit per the miami herald (this is pretty funny actually the kid isn't even ranked and it doesn't show an offer for him for UF.)

University's Barasch picks Owls over Gators

BY BOB EMANUEL JR.

bemanuel@MiamiHerald.com

University School running back Michael Barasch made an unusual move this week.

Barasch, Broward County's all-time single-season leading rusher, orally committed to Florida Atlantic and said he spurned an offer from the University of Florida because of the Gators' style of offense.

''I decided to go to FAU because they seemed to be the most interested in me,'' he said. ``They were the team that was going after me the most. They had a really good season this year. I liked the way the coaches were when I went for my visit I felt it was a good choice.''

Barasch, who ran for 2,078 yards for the Suns, also bypassed Connecticut, Syracuse and New Mexico.

The proximity to home was also a deciding factor.

''That helped out a lot,'' he said. ``It seemed like it was a lot easier adjustment instead of going somewhere it was cold. I'm more familiar with the area. It's easier to go home during breaks.''

Barasch, ranked the No. 25 recruit in Broward by The Miami Herald, transferred from St. Thomas Aquinas before his senior season and became a featured back.

''I wasn't really getting seen much at St. Thomas,'' he said. ``I was playing fullback, and I was too small for fullback.''

SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)
busboyisback (1/25/2008)
Headshot (1/23/2008)

That would be ridiculous and it's not going to happen.. :)

However you did lose out to FAU for a recruit per the miami herald (this is pretty funny actually the kid isn't even ranked and it doesn't show an offer for him for UF.)

University's Barasch picks Owls over Gators

BY BOB EMANUEL JR.

bemanuel@MiamiHerald.com

University School running back Michael Barasch made an unusual move this week.

Barasch, Broward County's all-time single-season leading rusher, orally committed to Florida Atlantic and said he spurned an offer from the University of Florida because of the Gators' style of offense.

''I decided to go to FAU because they seemed to be the most interested in me,'' he said. ``They were the team that was going after me the most. They had a really good season this year. I liked the way the coaches were when I went for my visit I felt it was a good choice.''

Barasch, who ran for 2,078 yards for the Suns, also bypassed Connecticut, Syracuse and New Mexico.

The proximity to home was also a deciding factor.

''That helped out a lot,'' he said. ``It seemed like it was a lot easier adjustment instead of going somewhere it was cold. I'm more familiar with the area. It's easier to go home during breaks.''

Barasch, ranked the No. 25 recruit in Broward by The Miami Herald, transferred from St. Thomas Aquinas before his senior season and became a featured back.

''I wasn't really getting seen much at St. Thomas,'' he said. ``I was playing fullback, and I was too small for fullback.''

False.