Did the falcons finally make a good decision?

abe55

I think Smith is a very good pick. He is not heard of or discussed about but he is a candidate that will, i think, lead us to a good era. As soon as i heard i did my research and it seems like he is a good teacher, his defense is lights out, he is smart and more importantly a very good talent evaluator. REMEMBER SOMETHING THOUGH, SUCCESS WILL NOT COME IMMEDIATELY AND IT MAY TAKE 1 or 2 seasons, i say 2 to see how this hire really turns out. Good hire mates, lets see if the on paper good turns out to be a gem!

abe55 (1/23/2008)
I think Smith is a very good pick. He is not heard of or discussed about but he is a candidate that will, i think, lead us to a good era. As soon as i heard i did my research and it seems like he is a good teacher, his defense is lights out, he is smart and more importantly a very good talent evaluator. REMEMBER SOMETHING THOUGH, SUCCESS WILL NOT COME IMMEDIATELY AND IT MAY TAKE 1 or 2 seasons, i say 2 to see how this hire really turns out. Good hire mates, lets see if the on paper good turns out to be a gem!

That is the key point. This team has some good young players, but we are lacking in talent in most of the key positions (QB, OL, RB, DT, MLB). The guys that we draft thuis year to fill those hole will take time to deverlop and adjust to the pro-game.

I just hope that we build for the long term via the draft rather than seeking a quick fix, and that the fans have the patience to give Dimitoff and Smith time and opportunity to do so rather than demanding 10+ wins and a playoff spot next year.

ukfalc (1/23/2008)
abe55 (1/23/2008)

That is the key point. This team has some good young players, but we are lacking in talent in most of the key positions (QB, OL, RB, DT, MLB). The guys that we draft thuis year to fill those hole will take time to deverlop and adjust to the pro-game.

I just hope that we build for the long term via the draft rather than seeking a quick fix, and that the fans have the patience to give Dimitoff and Smith time and opportunity to do so rather than demanding 10+ wins and a playoff spot next year.

This years draft is loaded with talent in all of the above positions. Trust me if we get our stud LT and a power RB the Falcons will win sooner than later. It happened over night for the Browns.

Include the fact that Trey will be back and I believe that he will be a star on the DL.

Redman proved he can play and put points on the board. So that means we can get a QB and groom him, not expect him to play now.

I see MS walking into a better situation than many gives the Falcons credit for.

monoxide (1/23/2008)
that didn't make a good decision, they made a great decision that will make this franchise a contender.

I agree, I think Mike Smith is just the guy to take over a franchise that is in disarray right now and turn it around. I think he is the man for the job and I support him whole heartedly and will be glad when it becomes official. I really think that his defenses in Jacksonville were among the best in the league and perhaps he will bring some of that knowledge to the Falcons. I hope he can put together a great staff and make the Falcons a good team.

abe55 (1/23/2008)
Good post, I didn't know the Falcons still had faithful fans besides a few I know of, and I was not going to go as far as saying we have loyal fans in the UK. Thats cool. I think a good step to improving next year would be going .500 or better. Better is probably a long shot, but if the Browns could go 10-6 I think we can go 8-8 if not 9-7.

Just look at what some of his former players are saying and forget Wiley on ESPN who is upset cause he got cut..

An Excerpt from AP news.

Jacksonville defensive end Paul Spicer said his message to the Falcons is "they are getting a gem."

"He is very competitive," Spicer said of Smith. "He wants the best out of you. He demands the best of you. Mike Smith gained the trust of a lot of Jaguars players over the years. He has definitely gained my trust."

Jaguars defensive tackle Marcus Stroud said Smith is "definitely a deserving coach."

"He's been a good coach for a long time," Stroud said. "He will bring stability and a tough-minded approach. He's a leader and will do a great job in Atlanta."

Case25 (1/24/2008)
Just look at what some of his former players are saying and forget Wiley on ESPN who is upset cause he got cut..

An Excerpt from AP news.

Jacksonville defensive end Paul Spicer said his message to the Falcons is "they are getting a gem."

"He is very competitive," Spicer said of Smith. "He wants the best out of you. He demands the best of you. Mike Smith gained the trust of a lot of Jaguars players over the years. He has definitely gained my trust."

Jaguars defensive tackle Marcus Stroud said Smith is "definitely a deserving coach."

"He's been a good coach for a long time," Stroud said. "He will bring stability and a tough-minded approach. He's a leader and will do a great job in Atlanta."

It is good to hear player quotes that he is a good coach. I trust TD made a good decision

time will tell.