Dimitroff is the one on the hot seat

Paul Smith

I can't comment much on Smith except what I read from his resume. Pretty impressive numbers as a DC with JAX and Ravens coach.

However, to me, the bigger issue that must be resolved in my mind is this - can we trust Dimitroff in making good decisions? Of course I am very hopeful that he will not disappoint, but after seeing what Rich McKay did here (nothing), I'm holding my breath.

Smith may be the more visible one, but it's Dimitroff's handlings behind the scene that will make or break our team. Let's hope he knows how to evaluate players (draft and free agents) as well as evaluate coaches.

If he can do all that, we'll be all right, and then we can all relax knowing that we are in good hands.

Now, what are we going to do with the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft coming up in April? hmmmm

Well, the guy is not proven yet as a GM, but I hope he isn't on the hot seat yet, at least no more so than any other new GM. We are rebuilding. This thing isn't likely to be completely turned around for a few years. Unless he completely implodes, I don't think we can even really judge the guy for the first few years of his tenure.

stoned_jc7 (1/23/2008)

Well, the guy is not proven yet as a GM, but I hope he isn't on the hot seat yet, at least no more so than any other new GM. We are rebuilding. This thing isn't likely to be completely turned around for a few years. Unless he completely implodes, I don't think we can even really judge the guy for the first few years of his tenure.

Good point. It takes a few years to evaluate a draft, so I'm sure it will take a few years to evaluate a HC as well.

My point is still, let's hope our captain (Dimitroff) knows what he is doing. If he does, we can all rest easy when he makes a decision.

It's kind of like being a president. I'll rest much easier at night knowing a Clinton is making the calls and not a Bush. :w00t:

Paul Smith (1/23/2008)
I can't comment much on Smith except what I read from his resume. Pretty impressive numbers as a DC with JAX and Ravens coach.

However, to me, the bigger issue that must be resolved in my mind is this - can we trust Dimitroff in making good decisions? Of course I am very hopeful that he will not disappoint, but after seeing what Rich McKay did here (nothing), I'm holding my breath.

Smith may be the more visible one, but it's Dimitroff's handlings behind the scene that will make or break our team. Let's hope he knows how to evaluate players (draft and free agents) as well as evaluate coaches.

If he can do all that, we'll be all right, and then we can all relax knowing that we are in good hands.

Now, what are we going to do with the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft coming up in April? hmmmm

The biggest issue with Dimitroff will be how much autonomy he has. If Dimitroff has to endure meddling from McKay and Blank he is doomed to failure before he even gets out of the gate. If he is indeed the final word on football matters for our club I believe that he will be just fine. He learned at the Yale University of the NFL.....

I too am curious about our first pick. The mock drafts still have us taking Ryan, even though Dimitroff has said he won't take a QB unless they fit all of his qualifications for the position. I have made my thoughts on the draft plain enough.

I hope T.D. sticks to that statement and takes another position of need.

mess514 (1/23/2008)
The truth is out there. I happened to have found it in Christ Jesus.

Then shouldn't JC be able to tell you how this is all going to work out? If the truth is out there, and he knows it..... what is he telling you?

He hasn't been giving me much one-on-one time lately, especially regarding football matters. Usually when I hear His voice, I hear these words,

"Are you screwing up again Paul?"

In which I reply, "Yes, Lord!" (said blushingly)

"Okay my son, at least you know who you are (a sinner saved by grace)!"

"Yes, Lord! A Falcon fan too!"

"My, my, you are a glutton for punishment, aren't you?"

"Yes, Lord!"