Schein and Solomon Wilcox Endorse Smith on Sirius

drneckbone

Both are supporting the Hire. They say that it will take care atleast one side of the football.

They brought up that Del Rio has had a lot of assistants and up and downs in his tenure but the constant has been Mike Smith. They also said not to put much stock in Marcellus Wiley because of how things ended in JAX and it is nothing more than his opinion and how biased is he. Adam Schein said he has thought Mike Smith was ready to be a HC several years ago.

Solomon said he has actually sat down and watched film with Mike Smith and says he is very organized and knows what he trying to do with his game plan.

Sorry guys no link, just to trying to paraphrase as fast as I can type

They also Stroud or Spicer are going to be on live at 4:00 to discuss it with him.

Thanks for the great post. I must admit i was bummed when I listened to Marcellus slam Smith. Since then i have heard many comments that discredit his comments. I really feel good about Coach Smith coming here. I will feel even better when we hear the contract is signed. I guess the next issue will be his staff. After that on to personnel issues, i.e. FA, draft, etc. I believe progress could be a little slow, but steady. Thanks again for the post.

woodstockfan (1/23/2008)
Thanks for the great post. I must admit i was bummed when I listened to Marcellus slam Smith. Since then i have heard many comments that discredit his comments. I really feel good about Coach Smith coming here. I will feel even better when we hear the contract is signed. I guess the next issue will be his staff. After that on to personnel issues, i.e. FA, draft, etc. I believe progress could be a little slow, but steady. Thanks again for the post.

I was also a little bummed when I read the Wiley comments, but then I thought to myself, "Self, is Jack Del Rio the kind of guy who would let a "puppet" hang around on his staff for very long?" The answer, of course, is "No." Del Rio is a no-nonsense kind of guy who would fire someone the second they weren't pulling their own weight, which is why Wiley is gone and Smith stayed. After the initial shock of hiring someone who was way down on all our lists, I'm coming to grips with the hire (Yes, I found my Red and Black colored glasses finally:)), but I'll be a lot more on board if we get Billick to be our OC. As Jim Mora recently put it (about his time as our Head Coach), "Being a head coach is more about game management than X's and O's, and I started to miss the X's and O's part. As a coordinator, X's and O's is all you have to deal with. It's fun again (Imagine that from Jim Mora!)" Anyway, I kind of see the same temperament from Billick; when he fired Fassel mid-season and took over Offensive playcalling, it may have signalled his doom as a head coach, but hopefully reignited his passion as an "offensive guru." Billick probably has the inside track to being our OC, and I also wouldn't mind seeing Hue Jackson stay, so I think we'll be OK either way. To reiterate, I felt great about both the Mora and Quitrino hirings; look how well they turned out. I didn't feel all warm and fuzzy over this hiring earlier, so maybe that means we finally got it right!