NEW MOCK.

papikaika

Guest Libid21

It's really good. It's somewhat similar to mine, except I have Ainge instead of Flacco because I don't think Williams will last to our second second rounder. Overall, another solid mock draft from you, papi.

BigSlick (1/23/2008)
I don't like the fact that in your scenario we didn't land one of the top RB's.

However, if in your scenario we get someon like Michael Turner then it's fine.

We would be beyond breaking the bank if we got Faneca and Turner in FA. But, just as Midwest Falcon said, Forte would be a great compliment to Norwood.

IMO the Top RB`s in the draft are McFadden, Steward, Mendenhall, & Jones. They are all projected first round picks.

Forte is a powerful back that catches well out of the backfield.

We can't go that low for a running back, Forte's probably not going to be a legitimate starting option in the NFL. I really like Ellis and Williams with the top two picks, but if we take Ellis, we have to use a second rounder on a tailback or risk missing all of the legitimate starting options by the third round.

Richard Nixon (1/23/2008)
We can't go that low for a running back, Forte's probably not going to be a legitimate starting option in the NFL. I really like Ellis and Williams with the top two picks, but if we take Ellis, we have to use a second rounder on a tailback or risk missing all of the legitimate starting options by the third round.

Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, & Jamaal Charles are the only legit starters left in the 2nd. Jamaal Charles is similar to Norwood and he doesn`t really run in-between the tackle.

Rice and Smith are good, but I wouldn`t pass up on a QB in the 2nd.

papikaika (1/23/2008)

Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, & Jamaal Charles are the only legit starters left in the 2nd. Jamaal Charles is similar to Norwood and he doesn`t really run in-between the tackle.

Rice and Smith are good, but I wouldn`t pass up on a QB in the 2nd.

You can find a quarterback later in the draft, there's not a great deal separating the group and at least one solid prospect shoudl fall to the third, not someone that can start early, but someone that can become a starter eventually. Starting running back talent usually dries up in the first two rounds, though, and this draft is no exception.

Round 1: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC (6'1" 308, 4.95)

-A very disruptive force against the run and the pass. Would sure up our defensive line for years.

Round 2: Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware (6'6" 232, 4.90)

-Rising up the charts with possibly the best Senior Bowl workout put in, so far. Has turned a lot of heads, he's worth the pick.

Round 2(frm.HOU): Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt (6'6" 320, 5.25)

-Another solid prospect rising up the charts. Has the physical ability to be a solid LT in the league.

Round 3: Philip Wheeler, ILB, Georgia Tech (6'2" 245, 4.62)

-We don't have to look to far to find Keith Brooking's replacement. Infact, he hails from the same school as Brooking. Philip Wheeler is an extremely talented LB with speed and elusiveness to create havoc on the field.

Round 4: Matt Forte, RB, Tulane (6'1" 221, 4.60)

-A powerful back that gets the short yards and breaks long runs occasionally. A solid blocker and a great pass catcher out of the backfield.

Round 4(Kerney): Tommy Blake, DE, TCU (6'3" 274, 4.73)

-Has fallen off the map drastically and is projected as a mid-rounder now. Would compliment well and be mentored by one of the best DE`s in the game, John Abraham.

Round 5: Chilo Rachal, G, USC (6'5" 315, 5.21)

-2007 All Pac-10 team, decided to come out early. He`s a solid run blocker and an exceptional pass blocker. Played against top competition and is projected to be a 5th rounder.

Round 6: Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia (5'11" 187, 5.10)

-WE NEED A KICKER! Coutu has a powerful leg and has solid accuracy. Thanks Mort for holding it down for us.

Round 7: Gary Barnidge, TE, Louisville (6'6" 235, 4.77)

-He`s projected as a 7th rounder. Barnidge has a big frame and is a solid target for a QB. An adequate blocker, but better pass catcher. Also, a LS (if needed).

Round 7(frm.PIT): Haruki Nakamura, S, Cincinnati (5'10 190, 4.58)

-Always around the ball making play after play. Would backup Jimmy Williams at FS and could eventually move to SS, if needed.

Round 7(Griffith): Justin Harper, WR/KR, Va. Tech (6'4" 198, 4.43)

-An explosive playmaking WR that also returns punts and kickoffs. Would replace Adam Jennings at that spot.

grendel (1/23/2008)

...and why do we have to do that?

Forte could turn out to be very good... BenJarvus Green-Ellis is another guy that was really impressive at the Shrine Bowl.

We NEED a franchise QB and help on the OL and DL a lot more than we NEED a 1st day running back.

There's a rumor going around that Cadillac Williams is done after his injury this year, which is another example of why high-priced RB's are a gamble.

I'm just not so sure there is a franchise quarterback available, at least not one of the high profile guys, they all have big risks that come with them. I figure looking for a sleeper is as good as any other option, while sleepers are not so common among tailbacks. Just bringing in a big boy won't do much good, we already have Snelling, we need a real workhorse that's going to get a lot out of +300 carries, not someone that will plow into the back of the offensive line every play.