Bad Take On Smith MAybe? Players dont speak Highly Of Him.

BigQuent

Former Jaguars player Marcellus Wiley had a different view of Smith.

"I was looking at this saying, 'Wow, they went way down low on the totem pole for this,' " Wiley said on ESPN's First Take Wednesday. "I say this because when I was in Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio was the defensive coordinator. ... Mike Smith, I won't say he was a puppet figure, but at the same time, Mike Smith wasn't the guy guys in the lockerroom respected. He wasn't the one you looked at and said, 'OK, he's our leader.' ... We just knew he was standing in front of the room while Jack Del Rio called the shots."

Like i said i THINK

BigQuent (1/23/2008)

"I was looking at this saying, 'Wow, they went way down low on the totem pole for this,' " Wiley said on ESPN's First Take Wednesday. "I say this because when I was in Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio was the defensive coordinator. ... Mike Smith, I won't say he was a puppet figure, but at the same time, Mike Smith wasn't the guy guys in the lockerroom respected. He wasn't the one you looked at and said, 'OK, he's our leader.' ... We just knew he was standing in front of the room while Jack Del Rio called the shots."

Like i said i THINK

and Marcellus Wiley matters why?? Did he get annointed as the final judge on coaching candidates. He cant even pick out a decent suit, much less anything else.

He also butchered Parcells when we thought he was coming here.

We really won't know until he starts making his stack. There will either be Ws or Ls in that stack. I can handle a few Ls for a while (I don't think we'll have much choice until they get some time to install a system) as long as I see progress.

I don't think it was a bad hire. There were guys I would have been more excited about before him, but I think the FO easily could have done worse.

How about Marcus Stroud And Donovin Darius previous, this is not the first time he has been called out but never negatively stated only simply pit he is as i said in another thread a recluse thats all, he is not energetic, and Is not a players coach thats all.

I totally agree like i said I never said anything negative about Mike i think he will be fine but he will need a great staff and their are slim pickings out there now, as far as the top names. Thats all. I wasnt giving stock to Marcellus although he is a pretty talented player back in his prime, I was simply staing his quote Im looking for the video link on Stroud and his comments on Mike.

freakyfalcon (1/23/2008)
This was already posted and plus Marcellus Wiley was a disgruntled player that was cut by the Jaguars after the 2006 season.

This was already posted and plus Marcellus Wiley IS a disgruntled player that was cut by the Jaguars after the 2006 season.

He's a bad commentator too. He was horrible on NFL Network.

DL Marcus Stroud:

"He just goes about his business with that laid-back attitude and gets it done," Stroud said. "That's Smitty. Look at him. He's a businessman

LB Mike Peterson:

"We talk about losing him sometimes, and we don't want that to happen," Peterson said. "But we know it could happen someday."

Some Jags fans:

I'm going to be selfish here, I don't want him to become a head coach. I want him to stay in Jacksonville coordinating a great defense. Selfish? Absolutely, but it's for the good of the team! (Lousy way to justify it I know)

He's good.Next Bill Cowher, anyone?

freakyfalcon (1/23/2008)
DL Marcus Stroud:

"He just goes about his business with that laid-back attitude and gets it done," Stroud said. "That's Smitty. Look at him. He's a businessman

LB Mike Peterson:

"We talk about losing him sometimes, and we don't want that to happen," Peterson said. "But we know it could happen someday."

Some Jags fans:

I'm going to be selfish here, I don't want him to become a head coach. I want him to stay in Jacksonville coordinating a great defense. Selfish? Absolutely, but it's for the good of the team! (Lousy way to justify it I know)

He's good.Next Bill Cowher, anyone?

Yeah, you gotta hate when players call him out like that! :D

I could have sworn i said the comments werent negative, and Marcus said exactly my statement the guys is a recluse he is laid back and we need someone that can motivate The were mativated by jack Del Rio and can you get some links, and also some statements on Jack and their views on him he is the energetic one mike just draws up the plays he is a co not a Hc thats my point thats all.

You cant possibly watch Any of Jacksonvilles games Jack is always pumping the defense up and coaching them when they come off the field Mike calls the plays because He designs them, He has no fire no energy and the players speak of him as being calm and laid back We dont need anymore laid back havent we had enough oof this we need someone to come in here be firm but become a coach leader and friend to this defense, Thats not Mike but Oh well it looks like he will be in here anyway so who cares>?

BigQuent (1/23/2008)

Like i said i THINK

First off...i live in jacksonville and wiley was a jerk......so i dont trust him...plus he is friends with terrence moore.......so please stop with the negative and redundant posts......we all have questions...they will be answers next season.....

It is people like you last two guys that make things into a bigger deal obviously you couldnt have read anything I said i was never backing Him i posed the thread as a hey what do you think of this guy he is not what we need even his own coach said he is a laid back business man type of guy and we need someone with experience and fire so if you can read and see there is nothing redundant in my messages youre highly UN-intelligent.

BigQuent (1/23/2008)
It is people like you last two guys that make things into a bigger deal obviously you couldnt have read anything I said i was never backing Him i posed the thread as a hey what do you think of this guy he is not what we need even his own coach said he is a laid back business man type of guy and we need someone with experience and fire so if you can read and see there is nothing redundant in my messages youre highly UN-intelligent.

Probably not a good idea to question someone's intelligence with a post that's one rambling, going nowhere run-on sentence.;)

Here we go again Falcons fans. Why cant we bring a top notch coach to Atlanta? I believe if Smith is the man then we will be cleaning this mess up in two years. There are some big names out there but will not come because of the ownership. I thought Mora was not given enough time to put the franchise on the right track. Now we will be seeing him in the Super Bowl with Seattle in a couple of years. My take is that if we were looking for a defensive mind then Frazier at Minn. or Ryan in Balt. would have been far better. I would not touch Bilick with a ten foot pole. Before you know it there will be a Colt Brennan bandwagon starting. Pleeeeease do not let that happen.

The overlooked thing about Wiley's comments is how insulting they must be to Jack Del Rio. From everything I've seen of Del Rio, he's a no-nonsense guy who's not afraid to make a tough decision (like letting your starting qb go a week before the season starts) if he feels it's in the best interest of the team. So what Wiley is basically saying is that Del Rio CONDONED having a non-contributor on his staff and payroll for so many years as DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!!?? HOW INSULTING!!! that must be to Del Rio!!