A desperate franchise doing the best they can.

nolebone

Let's face it, our Falcons are a laughing stock. YKW totally gave us the high hard one when he made the desicion to break the law. He send our franchise spiraling down the drain with no hopes of being salvaged any time soon. He hit us in the FA market and the coaching market. Regardless of your views of what he did, if it was wrong, if the punishment was too harsh, or if he was the best thing since sliced bread, that's what happened. He broke the law.

Petrino left because he knew this was not a good place to be for the next few years. Thus the expression, "Never be the last one off a sinking ship."

Any and all highly qualified staff and or coaches DO NOT want to come here. Our GM comes from a great organization, but lets face it, his resume is a little light when it comes to calling all the shots. I expect a learning process. I think we got the best person we could, not the best person for the job.

HC candidates are openly avoiding this job with absolutely no remorse. This is all backed up by everybody on TV and the papers. This Smith guy gives me no reason to think he is the messiah. I will wait and hope for the best. I bet you a million bucks he's on a short leash come the end of the season if we don't show improvement.

We potentially have 2 guys getting thier resumes started on our ship and that doesn't sound like a winning scenario to me. I think their is potential with both of them but I could see both of them drowning as well.

I really am left in limbo after this last year. I'm emotionally spent. I can honestly say that I am very glad the year is over.

We better have a great draft or D will get crucified. The players better respect and follow smith or just wait and see the chaos after the comments by that bafoon on the TV. I can see that going either way.

Just putting my thoughts on paper.

nolebone (1/23/2008)
Let's face it, our Falcons are a laughing stock. YKW totally gave us the high hard one when he made the desicion to break the law. He send our franchise spiraling down the drain with no hopes of being salvaged any time soon. He hit us in the FA market and the coaching market. Regardless of your views of what he did, if it was wrong, if the punishment was too harsh, or if he was the best thing since sliced bread, that's what happened. He broke the law.

Petrino left because he knew this was not a good place to be for the next few years. Thus the expression, "Never be the last one off a sinking ship."

Any and all highly qualified staff and or coaches DO NOT want to come here. Our GM comes from a great organization, but lets face it, his resume is a little light when it comes to calling all the shots. I expect a learning process. I think we got the best person we could, not the best person for the job.

HC candidates are openly avoiding this job with absolutely no remorse. This is all backed up by everybody on TV and the papers. This Smith guy gives me no reason to think he is the messiah. I will wait and hope for the best. I bet you a million bucks he's on a short leash come the end of the season if we don't show improvement.

We potentially have 2 guys getting thier resumes started on our ship and that doesn't sound like a winning scenario to me. I think their is potential with both of them but I could see both of them drowning as well.

I really am left in limbo after this last year. I'm emotionally spent. I can honestly say that I am very glad the year is over.

We better have a great draft or D will get crucified. The players better respect and follow smith or just wait and see the chaos after the comments by that bafoon on the TV. I can see that going either way.

Just putting my thoughts on paper.

Thank you for your redundant thought process. While intelligent at first glance....everyone has been saying the same thing....well those of you who belong glued to AJC.com and not here. Thanks.

mbrizzle (1/23/2008)
Yeah. I pretty much agree with everything you've said here.

Some people on this board want to pretend Dimitroff is a great hire. I think the best you can say about his hiring is that it's 'gutsy'.

I'm not going to dump on Mike Smith, he seems as qualified as the next guy. I want to see his PC to see what he's about though.

Long time fans have been burned so many times, its hard to be optimistic. We should all just wait and see I guess.

Sorry for any redundancy. I've been sitting on the fence for the last few months, not posting, just thinking. I finally had to put my thoughts on paper.

It's funny how on this board, people are just waiting to go off on you, for any reason. If its not a white or black thing concerning the qb, it's a white or black thing concerning the hc. I personlly, am completely sick of that argument. I don't care if the person is a farm goat, as long as he gets the job done.

If they disagree with you, they make fun of you instead of trying to offer constructive critisism. Farely juvinial if you ask me. Heck, if you misspell something, some jerk is salivating at the mouth, just licking his chops to kill you.

I think all of this is a product of the cumulative frustration that our entire fan base is feeling. I firmly believe that everybody on this board truly loves the Falcons and we all are passionate fans. Why else would people put so much time into this message board? Let's face it, we don't have that much to be positive about. That's why this place is so negative.

Well man everyone has to start somewhere. Being that Dimitroff's prior job was college scouting, we at the very least should have a good draft. Also, don't forget this...he comes from the best organization in football. He has already said he has gotten input from other people, so if he's getting pointers and feedback from guys in the Patriots FO, that's a good thing. I really don't think he's coming in here and flying by the seat of his pants. While I would have rather had both Ryan or Schwartz over Smith, he has been a DC for like 6 years and one pretty well. He also might be bringing a solid OC with him, as it was said the staff the HC would be bringing with him was important to Dimitroff.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and while not much of an optimist, I do feel that both Dimitroff and Smith have good chances to be pleasant surprises. As far as the OC goes, I hope we go with someone with experience, and send Hue packing. I like the guy, but I don't have any faith that a WR coach is going to be good at adjusting to defensive schemes.

I think all of this is a product of the cumulative frustration that our entire fan base is feeling. I firmly believe that everybody on this board truly loves the Falcons and we all are passionate fans. Why else would people put so much time into this message board? Let's face it, we don't have that much to be positive about. That's why this place is so negative.

you're thinking too hard as far as that goes, it is much more simple than that. some people are just asswads, and that is all there is to it, obviously this shaunntard character is one of them. ignore the schmuck.

I disagree about the new coach being "on a short leash". The Falcons had better be sure about this hire because if the team flounders for 3-4 years and they fire him then we will be even further down the totem pole as far as attracting HC candidates.

Nope, the Falcons have cast their lott with Coach Jones and it will be a relationship that has to work for at least a few years.

Who's coach Jones, X? (not jumping on you, just wondering if you meant Smith)

Why is everybody freaking out? I agree that it will be nice if the coaching carousel is over for a while in Atlanta. But the way I see it, it didn't matter if Bellicheck himself came here, we are going to be rebuilding for a loooong time. So what's the difference? They either got it right, or they continued to get it wrong. We can win a SB and it still won't change some of the negative nancies on this board one way or the other. It may help w/the media perception, but we all know they'll just be bandwagoning. At the same time, the media loves the rags-to-riches stories, and there is no reason to think that couldn't happen for us as well.

No "big splash". No "sizzle". Solid resume. Gainfully employed at ONE place for long periods of time. Really no reason for me to criticize this hire yet.

I am seriously concerned with this hire.

First Blank hires the head of college scouting. No experience as a GM,

TD hires a controllable figure in Smith who is not even a coordinator. Lets face it Del Rio is the real DC there.

He has not hired really strong personalities to run this team. So in order to rebuild this franchise Blank brings in to inexperienced people that dont have distinguished personalities.

The Falcons had a very bad season but I like what we have done so far this off season.

The front office was very thorough in their search for a GM. They were on all counts positive about what Dimitroff brought to the table. We didn't just go hire the best numbers guy we could find. We hired the guy that we believed would be the best at finding available talent. Ever since we lost Tim Ruskell to the Seahawks this has been the missing piece. (IMO this is also why we went with a college coach last season, the need for draft evaluation)

The search for a HC was very thorough as well. We may not have hired the 'popular' choice but I believe that the front office felt that he was the best fit for our team. If Smith and Dimitroff mesh well with both being detail oriented guys it sounds like a good fit. I'm excited to see how Smith rounds out the coordinator spots and what type of offense we will be running.

falconfootball (1/23/2008)
Who's coach Jones, X? (not jumping on you, just wondering if you meant Smith)

Why is everybody freaking out? I agree that it will be nice if the coaching carousel is over for a while in Atlanta. But the way I see it, it didn't matter if Bellicheck himself came here, we are going to be rebuilding for a loooong time. So what's the difference? They either got it right, or they continued to get it wrong. We can win a SB and it still won't change some of the negative nancies on this board one way or the other. It may help w/the media perception, but we all know they'll just be bandwagoning. At the same time, the media loves the rags-to-riches stories, and there is no reason to think that couldn't happen for us as well.

No "big splash". No "sizzle". Solid resume. Gainfully employed at ONE place for long periods of time. Really no reason for me to criticize this hire yet.

Yes, Smith. Somehow I got the last name of the receiver in JAX (Matt Jones) on my mind and transposed it onto coach Smith. As I age, I seem to get more forgetful all the time. Sorry for the mistake, thanks for not grinding on me about it.

I'm not against the hiring at all. I actually prefered that we go with a defensive guy so that is a plus to me. I do wonder about a vid clip I saw of coach Smith sitting in the coaches box instead of being on the sidelines during the game. I know that's nitpicking but I do prefer the idea of a coach who was on the sidelines during the actual game. But that may have been Del Rio's way of running things or Smith may have felt more comfortable that way. I hope this all works out and until I see it fail I will support the new coach.

nolebone (1/23/2008)
Sorry for any redundancy. I've been sitting on the fence for the last few months, not posting, just thinking. I finally had to put my thoughts on paper.

It's funny how on this board, people are just waiting to go off on you, for any reason. If its not a white or black thing concerning the qb, it's a white or black thing concerning the hc. I personlly, am completely sick of that argument. I don't care if the person is a farm goat, as long as he gets the job done.

If they disagree with you, they make fun of you instead of trying to offer constructive critisism. Farely juvinial if you ask me. Heck, if you misspell something, some jerk is salivating at the mouth, just licking his chops to kill you.

There is one thing we can always be positive about:

We belong to the suckiest division in pro football. We're never more than a season away from the playoffs.

nolebone (1/23/2008)

You mispelled fairly and juvenile.:P Sorry couldn't help it, lol.

Really though, why bag on these guys for getting their start here? Yea I would have liked to get Ryan, but oh well, they got a guy who has a decent resume, and who is not a mystery to everyone.

Gerber09 (1/23/2008)

TD hires a controllable figure in Smith who is not even a coordinator. Lets face it Del Rio is the real DC there.

He has not hired really strong personalities to run this team. So in order to rebuild this franchise Blank brings in to inexperienced people that dont have distinguished personalities.

Yes, these hires are "suspect." Nobody with a heavy resume wanted to come here. We had to go after youth. We had to go after a younger GM who wanted this on his resume. Somebody with enough fire to want to take on this project. While he has no expirience as a GM, also a worry of mine, at least he comes from the best franchise in sports right now. Yes, that includes the Yankees and the Spurs.

Like I said before. We didn't get the best out there, we got the best we could get.

At first glance, I liked Smith. However, the second I heard the rumblings from that guy on TV, I was frozen. THAT my friends, is the last thing this team needs. I don't care if the tooth fairy said it, it scared me.

Let's face it, if Dhall doesn't like this guy, that is bad news for our locker room. Not that DH is the corner stone of this franchise, its just that he will run his mouth and split the locker room. It will not be fun to play in ATL next year and you know DH will be voice his opinion about just about anything.

Gerber09 (1/23/2008)

Great post. I had mentioned this before and got flamed for it. Blank wants to be the new face of the Falcons. Not a coach. Not a GM. Not a player. He wants to be the guy. And he's making the biggest mistake as an owner that he could make. I hope that his plan works, but I doubt that it will.

Really though, why bag on these guys for getting their start here? Yea I would have liked to get Ryan, but oh well, they got a guy who has a decent resume, and who is not a mystery to everyone.

I bet if you looked a little closer, you could find some more.

Yes, I baited you out, you hater. You are probably a racist who enjoys hurting babies. Not to mention that you probably caused the holicost, the wars in the middle east, and AIDs. J/K:P

If I'm bagging on these guys, I have been misunderstood. You make the very point that I was making. We have 2 guys starting their careers here. They better put the hours in and burn the midnight oil or this town, this board, and the writers in the ATL will light them up.

He has not hired really strong personalities to run this team. So in order to rebuild this franchise Blank brings in to inexperienced people that dont have distinguished personalities.Great post. I had mentioned this before and got flamed for it. Blank wants to be the new face of the Falcons. Not a coach. Not a GM. Not a player. He wants to be the guy. And he's making the biggest mistake as an owner that he could make. I hope that his plan works, but I doubt that it will.

Could not agree more. IMO he has been guilty of this since day one. He pays too much for FA, stays too involved in the operations, and fired Reeves.

Unfortunately for us, he has nowhere to turn. Bill P turned us down and then he was stuck working with McKay. This time, he had to make the moves himself. Heck, wasn't he asking for help from somebody in the Giants organization?

nolebone (1/23/2008)

Yes, I baited you out, you hater. You are probably a racist who enjoys hurting babies. Not to mention that you probably caused the holicost, the wars in the middle east, and AIDs.J/K:P

If I'm bagging on these guys, I have been misunderstood. You make the very point that I was making. We have 2 guys starting their careers here. They better put the hours in and burn the midnight oil or this town, this board, and the writers in the ATL will light them up.

You can look back at my posts to know I never do that kind of thing. You missed holocaust too, btw, lol.

Seriously, though that is their job. Part of the reason BP could not get it done here is he was not dedicated to making this a winning organization. We know AB is. Yes he has erred in the past, and may again. This time though, I think he has thought long about how he screwed up and made an informed choice abut both TD and MS.

emt861 (1/23/2008)
what a load of crap this is ...if you are not a fan then why are you hear speading your poison. I support the team no mater what.

If you think I don't support the team after growning up in ATL and working for the Falcons, you might have to think again.

I will support this team until the day I die but that does not mean I have to support or like the desicions that this franchise has made to put us in the situation that we are in.

Blank and McKay, the top two dogs, are to blame.

AB....He wanted to sign YKW to a rediculous contract, give FA league high contracts, and be the man. Well, he's the only man left on the ship now. RM is half way out the door. I can't prove it but I would have to just speculate on this...AB wanted YKW for marketing reasons. I mean how many red flags were there with YKW? I won't go into it, this is not a YKW thread. Just ask yourself this, "Who would the best franchise in the NFL, the Pats, have kept? YKW, or the other guy?"

McKay's horrible run with us is a question mark to me. I thought he would do better. Sorry, he is a failure. Thanks for coming out.

Lee Long (1/23/2008)
nolebone (1/23/2008)

Yes, I baited you out, you hater. You are probably a racist who enjoys hurting babies. Not to mention that you probably caused the holicost, the wars in the middle east, and AIDs.J/K:P

You can look back at my posts to know I never do that kind of thing. You missed holocaust too, btw, lol.

Seriously, though that is their job. Part of the reason BP could not get it done here is he was not dedicated to making this a winning organization. We know AB is. Yes he has erred in the past, and may again. This time though, I think he has thought long about how he screwed up and made an informed choice abut both TD and MS.

You know, I hope so. I thought he would have gone through this a few times leading up to now. He just keeps making the same mistakes.

Gerber09 (1/23/2008)

Lighten up, Francis!