Michael Smith from ESPN on the 2 Live Stews

geraldg

he basically said that last years "hot commodity" doesn't automatically make you hot the next year. It's all about who the media chooses to hitch there wagon to and hype up. It was Mike last year, and Garrett, Spags, and McDaniels this year. Smith also said that if the 49ers defense plays well next year, his name will come up again as a hot prospect.

Michael Smith also said that Singletary has a strong personality and it would take the right owner to hire him. Someone that wouldn't feel threatened by him. I guess that ruled Blank out. LOL They guy made some great points. I actually like the job he does.

I was listening to sports talk radio on my way to the barber shop this past Sunday, and some national sports analyst was asked the same question about Singletary. He stated that from his sources with several NFL teams, is that Singletary has an enunciation problem and thats one of the main reasons he is not getting calls for interviews. It was kind of confusing because listening to some of his interviews, he sounds articulate to me.

geraldg (1/23/2008)
scott24falcs (1/23/2008)
Did he gives his opinion of the Smith hiring?

He basically said the same thing as everyone else. Said he wasn't surprised with the hire. Said that he was low key, smart, and very organized.

I wasn't aware that he had been "hired" yet.Nothing is certain until the ink is dry on the contract.As far as I know, as of now ,he's only been made an offer.

DirtyBirdFOREVER (1/23/2008)
Yea, he said that it was a good hire...

said that Smith was a SMART coach...laid back....and very thorough

Isn't that exactly how you can describe Belicheck? Smart, laid back, and very thorough and tedious. Also other reports I have heard said that he is more of a teacher than a drill officer, same as Belicheck. In the same breath I have heard that he is not best friends with his players, ala Belicheck.

So to me it was easy to see that TD was looking for somebody who reminded him the most of Belicheck, both football wise, personnel wise, and locker room wise.

Not a bad approach, especially since that is the environment he was coming from. Lets just hope it works. Now if we could just find another Tom Brady?

southga08 (1/23/2008)
DirtyBirdFOREVER (1/23/2008)
Yea, he said that it was a good hire...

said that Smith was a SMART coach...laid back....and very thorough

Isn't that exactly how you can describe Belicheck? Smart, laid back, and very thorough and tedious. Also other reports I have heard said that he is more of a teacher than a drill officer, same as Belicheck. In the same breath I have heard that he is not best friends with his players, ala Belicheck.

So to me it was easy to see that TD was looking for somebody who reminded him the most of Belicheck, both football wise, personnel wise, and locker room wise.

Not a bad approach, especially since that is the environment he was coming from. Lets just hope it works. Now if we could just find another Tom Brady?

Good post. I'll take someone half as good as Belicheck.

freakyfalcon (1/23/2008)
I was listening to sports talk radio on my way to the barber shop this past Sunday, and some national sports analyst was asked the same question about Singletary. He stated that from his sources with several NFL teams, is that Singletary has an enunciation problem and thats one of the main reasons he is not getting calls for interviews. It was kind of confusing because listening to some of his interviews, he sounds articulate to me.

The guy is very well spoken. Just listen to him on the NFL Network commercials. I hope like heck that that is not truly the reason why the guy has been looked over. If so, shame on the NFL.