The Good and Bad of Mike Smith...

INFO: Smith replaced current Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio as linebackers coach in 2002. He was in Baltimore from 1999 to 2001, serving as the defensive assistant/defensive line coach for the Ravens.

THE GOOD: "Yeah, I just got off the phone with him," Del Rio said from the Senior Bowl in Mobile. "Mike is a very detailed guy. He's got a lot of passion for the game. I've been together with Mike for the last five years in Jacksonville."

He won a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2000

Jacksonville Overall Defensive Rankings:

2004: 11th

2005: 6th

2006: 2nd

2007: 12th

THE BAD: Jacksonville was a good defense before Smith got there so maybe his stats aren't as good as they appear.

Former Jaguars player Marcellus Wiley had a different view of Smith.

"I was looking at this saying, 'Wow, they went way down low on the totem pole for this,' " Wiley said on ESPN's First Take Wednesday. "I say this because when I was in Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio was the defensive coordinator. ... Mike Smith, I won't say he was a puppet figure, but at the same time, Mike Smith wasn't the guy guys in the lockerroom respected. He wasn't the one you looked at and said, 'OK, he's our leader.' ... We just knew he was standing in front of the room while Jack Del Rio called the shots."

YOU MAKE THE CHOICE: Good or Bad hiring? My opinion is still undecided.

A solid hire. I wouldn't let one players opinions about the guy sway you one way or the other.

Ultimately, if he takes the job, we will find out just how good he really is. We will get to find out what his staff looks like. We will get to see how the players respond to his hiring. I think this is another positive step.

FalconWong88 (1/23/2008)
Wiley the one talking bad about Smith threw Drew Brees under the bus. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Smith has coached at Vikings and Jags mostly.

I think your right about Wiley. He did make the poor comments about Bress. I also think Marcellus Wiley is a joke, he had two good seasons in his NFL career everything else was awful!

You need to compare what Wiley said with what Smith's current players, and league coaches, officials and analysts are saying.

Paul Spicer, current DE on Jags, said today on Sirius that he was great hire for Atlanta. He has the respect of the players. He indicated that he will expect the players to deliver, and if they dont, they will be gone. He also said he has great rapport with the players. He treats them like grown men and respects them.

Solomon Wilcots, one of the Sirius hosts, has been touting Smith for a while. He says he is a great hire for the Falcons. He guarantees the Falcons defense will excell.

Pretty much everyone says he is a good hire, and his time has long been coming.

I like what I hear.

frankthetank966 (1/23/2008)
INFO:

THE BAD: Jacksonville was a good defense before Smith got there so maybe his stats aren't as good as they appear.

Former Jaguars player Marcellus Wiley had a different view of Smith.

"I was looking at this saying, 'Wow, they went way down low on the totem pole for this,' " Wiley said on ESPN's First Take Wednesday. "I say this because when I was in Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio was the defensive coordinator. ... Mike Smith, I won't say he was a puppet figure, but at the same time, Mike Smith wasn't the guy guys in the lockerroom respected. He wasn't the one you looked at and said, 'OK, he's our leader.' ... We just knew he was standing in front of the room while Jack Del Rio called the shots."

YOU MAKE THE CHOICE: Good or Bad hiring? My opinion is still undecided.

I put the true focal point of "The Bad" where everyone would notice it. Looks to me that Wiley is a tad bitter... Seeing as his production wasn't exactly stellar his last few years, I guess he has a reason to be.