Mike Smith-HC

frankthetank966 (1/23/2008)
drews (1/23/2008)
And ryan is still under contract with the ravens.................
No he isn't. They fired him and the entire coaching staff.

Apparently not. There was a piece on here somewhere talking about how Ryan and the rest of the coaches were "released" to look at other jobs (which means they team gave blanket permission for them to seek other employment) rather than "fired" which means that the team gives up the rights to them.

So, the Ravens can block him for any position short of one that is a promotion from his current position.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/23/2008)
Apparently not. There was a piece on here somewhere talking about how Ryan and the rest of the coaches were "released" to look at other jobs (which means they team gave blanket permission for them to seek other employment) rather than "fired" which means that the team gives up the rights to them.

So, the Ravens can block him for any position short of one that is a promotion from his current position.

Direwolf

At the press conference where they fired Bilick, they said exactly what you said above (they were under contract, meaning they would be paid, but they were free to seek other employment). The implication was they would not be prohibited from seeking ANY other job.

If the Ravens try to block him from making a lateral move, it would be bad PR. That doesn't mean they won't do it, but I'd be surprised. My guess is if we want him for DC, and he wants that job (which I think would be the real stumbling block), they'd release him to allow him to take it.

Rex Ryan wouldn't take the DC job in Atlanta after the Falcons chose Smith over him. Caldwell is going to be the coach of the Colts after one more season, so the idea of him leaving there to be a coordinator here is well..hilarious.

Greg Williams is the Falcons best shot for a DC. I have no idea where we will be looking for an OC.

Guest Libid21

It's unlikely that Ryan or Caldwell will come to our organization. The only way Ryan would of came to Atlanta was through the head coaching position, but apparently, he's not getting that. There's nothing wrong with these two coordinators, but I see no sane way of a coordinator making a lateral move to an organization that's in twice as a bad shape as the franchise that they're in now.