Mike Smith- Another Man Behind the Curtain?

The 2006 season might have been one of the best coaching jobs by any assistant in the league. Smith lost his top pass rusher (Reggie Hayward) for the year in the first game, lost starting safety Donovin Darius in the seventh and Peterson in the eighth. Stroud played on an ankle that required micro-fracture surgery after the season, and projected starting linebacker Pat Thomas missed every game.

Smith and his patchwork group somehow finished ranked second in total defense, giving up 283.6 yards. They allowed only 11 points per game at home, pitching two shutouts.

Ask Smith about those numbers coming with all the injuries, and he just shrugs it off.

"You just have to play with what you have," Smith said. "The guys went out and did the job. You have to have contingency plans for when they go down. That's why we cross-train our guys so they're ready to play other positions and have comfort level when they do."

-The rest of this article is posted in another thread, but this particular part of the story stuck out to me. Describing Smith as a low-key, attention to detail type of guy whose players genuinely seem to like and respect; stop me if this sounds familiar. The ability to utilize players in a variety of roles and to gameplan and organize a roster a lil' 'outside the box' if you will, these are key characteristics of a coack who can make a "Bellicheckian"-type turnaround- taking a sub-500 roster and reinventing it in a season or two. Just like the Giants are proving right now, with good coaching and decent (character) guys, you don't have to win 14+ games to be viable in a single-elimination league like the NFL. Its all about, IMHO, desire, intelligence and prudence. The Protestant ethic is more alive in the game of professional football than almost any other aspect of modern society. Those who try hard, work smart and learn from the inevitable mistakes of yesterday are the ones who make a name for themselves. I would like to officially offer my enthusiasm and support of the Falcons organization's decision moving forward, and on behalf of my own small lil' part of Falcons' Nation, I congratulate Arthur Blank on the wisest coaching decision this franchise has made since the Smith family's hiring of Dan Reeve's oh so many moons ago. Best of luck to Coach Smith, and all the members of Falcons' Nation. :cool:

Jigga Donkey (1/23/2008)
you guys better hope he's a magician like Bill B because that's the only way to turn your franchise around, by using a magical spell.

he won't be Bill B, nobody will be like Bill B so hoping that is beyond wishful thinking, it's delusional.

Shut up Donkey.

Jigga Donkey stop it. Stop your brain before you end up like Brittney Spears.

You are crazy!

NO ONE knew that Bill B would become Bill B. No one knows when the next big thing will come around.

And to doubt that it will ever happen again is just plain arrogant ignorance.

Life is unpredictable. Being pessimistic is just idiotic.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. I support the Falcons and I bleed black and red.

grendel (1/23/2008)
Jigga Donkey (1/23/2008)
you guys better hope he's a magician like Bill B because that's the only way to turn your franchise around, by using a magical spell.

he won't be Bill B, nobody will be like Bill B so hoping that is beyond wishful thinking, it's delusional.

I can't wait until the Bucs fall apart again next season. Gruden only coaches when his butts on the line.

gruden only coaches when the rest of the nfc south has a bad year.

If he's the guy,everyone might as well start giving him support until he shows us a reason not to.I like the idea myself.Jax. is kind of an under the radar team.Always pretty good and always seems to make the playoffs yet nobody but their fan base seems to talk about them that much.If he can do that for us,I have no problem with it whatsoever.Let's also be honest,there haven't been many guys lining up to coach this team.