Don't hire Smith !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Marcelus Wiley who played two years on the Jags defense under Mike Smith this will be a horrible move for the Falcons . He said what most think in that Del Rio was the actual DC while Smith was just a figure to hold the title . He said the players didn't respect Smith and he never saw any leadership qualities in the man . Del Rio called and ran the defense that Smith is getting credit for . Sounds like another bust for our falcons !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure some people will have negative things to say about the man. if you ask a falcon fan about petrino we will say he is a snake or a rat. if you ask a arkansas fan about petrino they may say he is the best thing since a slice of bread. the only thing we can really do is interview and look at his track record. people will always have negative things to say.

bossFALCON (1/23/2008)
im sure some people will have negative things to say about the man. if you ask a falcon fan about petrino we will say he is a snake or a rat. if you ask a arkansas fan about petrino they may say he is the best thing since a slice of bread. the only thing we can really do is interview and look at his track record. people will always have negative things to say.

Yeah but Wiley doesn't even play anymore . He was just speaking about what he knows of Smith and how things ran in Jacksonville .

Marcellus Wiley... Wasn't he the big free agent defensive end that was supposed to turn around the Jags' pass-rush troubles only to fail miserably and be cut after only two seasons there?

Gee... Couldn't be personal bitterness, could it?

Meanwhile, the players who actually are ON the team love him to death and can't say enough good things about him.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/23/2008)
Marcellus Wiley... Wasn't he the big free agent defensive end that was supposed to turn around the Jags' pass-rush troubles only to fail miserably and be cut after only two seasons there?

Meanwhile, the players who actually are ON the team love him to death and can't say enough good things about him.

Direwolf

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!

Man, these grapes are sour.

direwolf (1/23/2008)

Direwolf

If we hire him I hope your right . I don't know much about Smith but only because of Del Rio's defensive background I'm afraid Wiley may be telling the truth .

Okay, lemme get this straight...you want the Falcons to not hire a guy because one FORMER player had something negative to say about him? How'd you like to be turned down for your dream job at a company like Google, for example, simply because someone from your past said something negative about you to the hiring manager? Wouldn't you at least want the opportunity to show the decision-makers at Google the kind of person you are and the kind employee you'd be?

direwolf (1/23/2008)

Direwolf

That's EXACTLY who Wiley is.

Just another big-mouthed, sour graped defensive BUST.

Oh MY GOD! Here we go again.

Here's the reality. WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF HC HE WILL BE.

Let's not go thinking he's the right man for the job just because he might have been hired.

Don't dismiss what you hear about Smith so easily. There might be truth to it.

You guys did the exact same thing with Petirno. Most of you guys LOVED him just because he was the head coach and didn't want to hear anything about his track record of jumping jobs.

I think this could be a MUCH better hire than Petirno but I'm not going to start getting excited about Smith until he gives me something to get excited about.

Remember that except for ONE guy... this is the same staff that hired Petirno and thought he was going to be a perfect fit for the Falcons.

So let's wait and see...

Dr John Zoidberg (1/23/2008)
Remember that except for ONE guy... this is the same staff that hired Petirno and thought he was going to be a perfect fit for the Falcons.
You're right. Except that ONE guy happens to be the GM and that GM just happens to be from an organization that's won THREE Super Bowl rings. HUGE difference there, even if it is only ONE guy.

Let's not go thinking he's the right man for the job just because he might have been hired.

You guys did the exact same thing with Petirno. Most of you guys LOVED him just because he was the head coach and didn't want to hear anything about his track record of jumping jobs.

I think this could be a MUCH better hire than Petirno but I'm not going to start getting excited about Smith until he gives me something to get excited about.

So let's wait and see...

I'm being honest when I say that I really don't care if people consider him a good hire or not. I'm more than willing to give the man some years to work and I hope that Blank is as well.

I'm just happy that someone wants to coach our team. Y'know? To help STOP THE KICKING by the press and our fans.

bankerbird (1/23/2008)
You're right. Except that ONE guy happens to be the GM and that GM just happens to be from an organization that's won THREE Super Bowl rings. HUGE difference there, even if it is only ONE guy.

And also happens to be buddies with the guy .

deep_south falcon (1/23/2008)
If I'm great at what I do should Google hire my secretary to run be their CEO ?
According to your own logic, yeah, they should hire your secretary, because Marcellus Wiley already told Google that YOU suck, so it doesn't really matter how "great" you think you are at what you do, does it?

So let's wait and see...

My attitude is ALWAYS wait and see. I just think that putting so much weight on the words of one former player with reason to have a grudge is silly.

You're right; we don't have any idea what kind of head coach he would/will be. But we do know that enough people speak very highly of him to have him under consideration for a head-coaching job. I think that it's safe to say that our staff did their due diligence on him as far as background checks and asked far more people than just current and former players. They probably asked people going back to his childhood.

Direwolf

bankerbird (1/23/2008)
According to your own logic, yeah, they should hire your secretary, because Marcellus Wiley already told Google that YOU suck, so it doesn't really matter how "great" you think you are at what you do, does it?

Well , if he is hired i hope becomes a HOF coach and leads us to many , many wins . I just think Rex Ryan is the better option and I have not heard anyone question whether he ran the show in Baltimore .

bankerbird (1/23/2008)

True but this isn't that organization and he wasn't the GM. We have a bit different power structure here. Who's the guy in charge of the Pats? Bellicheck? How about the Falcons?

That being said I will give Smith support if is indeed hired to be the Head Coach. He's not the guy I wanted but I like it 1,000 times better than I did the Petirno hiring.

I am just going wait and see what he does before making any judgements about him.

bankerbird (1/23/2008)

Well , if he is hired i hope becomes a HOF coach and leads us to many , many wins . I just think Rex Ryan is the better option and I have not heard anyone question whether he ran the show in Baltimore .

Yeah, Rex Ryan "ran the show" so well in Baltimore that his head coach got fired. My point is that anyone can perform a forensic analysis on any coaching candidate and find fault. If Smith is the hire, there's still the question of his staff, especially the OC and DC roles, so it's not like I'm giving the guy a blank check of approval. WHOEVER is the next HC of the Falcons will have to bring 53 guys together to play as a TEAM, and if they can do that, I don't care what the guy's name is.