I support the Smith hiring, but I do not agree...

heretic

Ok, great DC

Ok, the jaguars defense was really good

But we'll hire him as the HC

And I've read something I don't like at all:

Pete Prisco Oct. 18, 2007

By Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

a coach who gets almost no attention nationwide, is Mike Smith.

He isn't a screamer, a self-promoter or a guy who distances himself from his players. "He talks to you, not at you," Stroud said. "He doesn't talk down to you."

A former college linebacker at East Tennessee State, Smith isn't one of those in-your-face coaches that some who played the position can be. Watching him work the field is like watching a teacher coddling his students.

"I don't yell and scream, but I am passionate about what we do and how we do things," Smith said.

Hmmmm

I don't know

I strongly believe we needed a strong man like Bill Cowher more than a classy guy like Wade philips.

We needed a soldier, we got a teacher

I hope I'm wrong.

heretic (1/23/2008)
Ok, great DC

By Pete Prisco

He isn't a screamer, a self-promoter or a guy who distances himself from his players. "He talks to you, not at you," Stroud said. "He doesn't talk down to you."

A former college linebacker at East Tennessee State, Smith isn't one of those in-your-face coaches that some who played the position can be. Watching him work the field is like watching a teacher coddling his students.

"I don't yell and scream, but I am passionate about what we do and how we do things," Smith said.

Hmmmm

I don't know

I strongly believe we needed a strong man like Bill Cowher more than a classy guy like Wade philips.

I hope I'm wrong.

I understand your concern, but I'll give you two coaches. You can put them in what categories you will.

Bobby Petrino

Tony Dungy

But in that same article it says this.....

Don't let that fool you. He can get on a player when it's needed.

"Oh yeah," Peterson said. "He can jump you when it's needed. You guys just don't see it."

That enough for ya?

heretic (1/23/2008)
Ok, great DC

By Pete Prisco

Hmmmm

I don't know

I hope I'm wrong.

as long as he gains respect from the players and leads this team i dont care if he is a yeller like cowher or not. i think people look too much into this and it shouldnt decide on whether the guy will be a good coach or not.

It's all about communication and motivation. Over the past few years, Smith has proven himself in both of those areas: the Jags defense plays with fire and pride almost every week. If he can teach, influence, and motivate players without screaming and yelling until he's red in the face, more power to him.

I'm fine with the hire, and think he will make a very good head coach.

I understand your concern, but I'll give you two coaches. You can put them in what categories you will.

Bobby Petrino

Tony Dungy

Good question

I would pick Tony Dungy and players should listen to him because of his NFL history

I don't know about Smith

I wanted a soldier, but a smart one

If Petrino was a soldier (IF....since he ran away without even a word), he was a stupid one

heretic (1/23/2008)

Bobby Petrino

Tony Dungy

Good question

I would pick Tony Dungy and players should listen to him because of his NFL history

I don't know about Smith

I wanted a soldier, but a smart one

If Petrino was a soldier (IF....since he ran away without even a word), he was a stupid one

My point was that he was a screamer... And there are lots of guys that can scream and build resentment. Smitty may be a soldier after all, once you get to know him. We'll see. :)

I'm fine with a player's coach as long as he toughens them up like a Bill Cowher, and finds dead weight to cut in the process. I'm also happy that we got someone that really appreciates the influence of a solid front seven, and someone that will keep the 4-3 and work to improve the defensive line. With all of the candidates mentioned, I like this one more than just about anyone that was reasonably obtainable.

thesouphead (1/23/2008)
heretic (1/23/2008)

is this guy a soldier or a teacher?

PH2005120201720.jpg

Since Mike Smith is NOT tony dungy and since we were interviewing coaches with no HC experience.....

After the Monday night with all the players wearing #7 jerseys, with all the mess we have around this franchise, with the "gentle" Blank as the owner....

I just believe this team needed a strong man.

More kicks in the a##, less blah-blah-blah

That's all

i hope I'm wrong

Only time will tell if this is a good hire. I hope so, and Smith has my support until he proves he doesn't deserve it. One concern I have is that a teacher may have problems with some of our players. Very hard to teach someone who knows everything already. I think we have a few players like that. We'll see what happens:)

heretic (1/23/2008)
thesouphead (1/23/2008)
heretic (1/23/2008)

PH2005120201720.jpg

Since Mike Smith is NOT tony dungy and since we were interviewing coaches with no HC experience.....

After the Monday night with all the players wearing #7 jerseys, with all the mess we have around this franchise, with the "gentle" Blank as the owner....

That's all

i hope I'm wrong

so we need players that know how to be yelled at but dont know how to play the game of football, which is their job i might add.

I agree completely. I think Smith will be a great hire,but I'm concerned about the leadership as well.

What would he do if the Falcons pulled a "Free Mike Vick" stunt?

Would he play the say kind of defense that he did against the Patriots against over teams that like to pass? If so, get ready to be dinked and dunked on all game.

And would he bring Billick? I sure hope not. Smith doesn't need to be undermined by Billick who failed as his own team's OC once blaming it on his friend Fassel.

As for the screamers. Several coaches around the league aren't screamers, but they demand attention and passion from their players:

Tony Dungy

Bill Belichick (he only breaks his mold when he's really angry, like most people)

John Fox

Jeff Fisher

Romeo Crennel

Sean Payton

That's just a few of the guys who have seen success in the NFL without being hardcore and in everyone's face.

Waiting for Spags would have been disastrous I think, and I was personally rooting for Frazier, but TD things Smith emodies his philosophy better, more power to him.

heretic (1/23/2008)
thesouphead (1/23/2008)
heretic (1/23/2008)

PH2005120201720.jpg

That's all

i hope I'm wrong

I am not surprised to see you begging for a strong man.

Again.....

Don't let that fool you. He can get on a player when it's needed.

"Oh yeah," Peterson said. "He can jump you when it's needed. You guys just don't see it."

I take that to mean that he might not be a public screamer but behind closed doors he will tear you a new one if you screw up.

that "soldier" enough?

as long as he gains respect from the players and leads this team i dont care if he is a yeller like cowher or not. i think people look too much into this and it shouldnt decide on whether the guy will be a good coach or not.

That is my thought, too. I was going to post the same thing - glad I scanned the posts first.

As long as he garners or even demands respect, once he gains the respect of the players, he doesn't need to be a screamer. The Dungy comparison is valid. That's what Petrino definitely did not have was the respect of his players, especially the vets. Even Mora lacked respect to a degree because he was too player friendly. But the comment about Smith that 'he talks to you, not down to you', says a lot about him.