Brennan and Woodson Struggle at Senior Bowl

For awhile, I was all about the idea of Colt Brennan slinging the rock all over the Georgia Dome. But it is starting to look like what many have been saying is dead on. But I was surprised that Woodson is having problems. I just don't think that this will be our year to draft a QB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...sliders2/1.html

From CNN/SI:

Colt Brennan/QB/Hawaii: Brennan's inadequate arm strength is obvious to all in attendance. His passes lack any velocity which gives the defensive backs extra time to break up his throws, something that's been a common occurrence.

Andre Woodson/QB/Kentucky: Woodson has been all over the place with his throws and has shown poor accuracy. His receivers are consistently slowing up in routes, reaching back or leaving their feet in order to try and catch the ball.

yea i watched woodson and brennan practice yesterday. it looked to me like woodson has a sort of delayed release when he throws. he brings the ball from his hip and goes through his motion. it reminds you of leftwich just not that bad. the thing that concerns me about brennan is that he had to work so much on his drop step and his weight. that could be a lethal combination behind our line. if he doesnt drop back fast enough he could get sacked and injured at a mere 185 lbs. he could gain weight and practice his step though so i wont so no to him just yet. i am ready to see how he performs in the game though.

Draftnut57 (1/23/2008)
That's why I want the QB with the biggest upside and the strongest arm in the draft , or better yet , the strongest arm that has come threw the draft in 3 years , Flacco See Sig.

Plus we can get him in the 2nd round and take one of the elite top 5 in rd 1.

yea i was really impressed with flacco on monday. cant wait to see more of the kid.

bossFALCON (1/23/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/23/2008)
That's why I want the QB with the biggest upside and the strongest arm in the draft , or better yet , the strongest arm that has come threw the draft in 3 years , Flacco See Sig.

yea i was really impressed with flacco on monday. cant wait to see more of the kid.

Only thing that scares me is that Ellis move all the way up into the top 2 picks and I really believe he might. Plus Flacco could do the same and get taken before our #35 pick.

Draftnut57 (1/23/2008)
bossFALCON (1/23/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/23/2008)

Only thing that scares me is that Ellis move all the way up into the top 2 picks and I really believe he might. Plus Flacco could do the same and get taken before our #35 pick.

yea the analysts said that ellis is really just as good, if not better than glen so it wouldnt suprise me if ellis went up that high in the draft. i watched some film on him and he is a really good DT.

I listened to Mort interviewed on 680 this morning. He said Flacco has been very impressive. He said if he had been from a big time program, he would be a much higher pick. They asked him about the Falcons and he said they should not use their top pick for a QB. this year's draft is deep with QB's like Flacco. If his stock continues to rise, I wonder if he will still be on the board after round 1?

woodstockfan (1/23/2008)
I listened to Mort interviewed on 680 this morning. He said Flacco has been very impressive. He said if he had been from a big time program, he would be a much higher pick. They asked him about the Falcons and he said they should not use their top pick for a QB. this year's draft is deep with QB's like Flacco. If his stock continues to rise, I wonder if he will still be on the board after round 1?

Dude, I am totally sold on Flacco and I hope we land him.

We'd better not get a first round QB though (Matt Ryan). Now with the hiring of Smith, I don't think we will.

woodstockfan (1/23/2008)

yea there is no doubt that the only thing really holding flacco back is that he wasnt from a top, big name school/program. i think flacco will probably be a mid round 2 or 3rd round pick just because brohm, ryan, and possibly woodson will go in the first. if those 3 go in the first i think flacco could move into the second.

falcons4life (1/23/2008)
We'd better not get a first round QB though (Matt Ryan). Now with the hiring of Smith, I don't think we will.

TD mentioned his love for a big time QB. Dont be shocked if he goes for one early.

He said he was a QB snob.

I took that as meaning he doesn't look for a big time QB. Ah well...

falcons4life (1/23/2008)
Andre Woodson/QB/Kentucky: Woodson has been all over the place with his throws and has shown poor accuracy. His receivers are consistently slowing up in routes, reaching back or leaving their feet in order to try and catch the ball.

This sounds oddly familiar.

HAHA It does sound familiar...:cool:

I dont know if you guys saw this but over at Rivals they had video of Erik Ainge and Colt Brennan.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/video...=amp&vidid=2952

I thought Ainge looked pretty rough. He doesnt get one good spiral out and all his throws are wobbly in the air. He looks fairly accurate but the quality of the throw is concerning.

dchi194 (1/23/2008)
I dont know if you guys saw this but over at Rivals they had video of Erik Ainge and Colt Brennan.

I thought Ainge looked pretty rough. He doesnt get one good spiral out and all his throws are wobbly in the air. He looks fairly accurate but the quality of the throw is concerning.

Ainge is a streaky passer. He's so-so, on a bad day, but when he's on, he'll kill ya.

I've seen him play enough times to know.

falcons4life (1/23/2008)

This sounds oddly familiar.

So what you're saying is he'll be the perfect replacement for YKW?! :w00t:

Yep if he can't make the throws there is no need to draft the guy. Flacco sounds good to me, good size and the arm to match. This just isn't a good year to draft a QB,maybe just a trend but it seems that the college offenses are being built less around the pro style offenses.I can handle a Redman,Shockley,Flacco and however else as the Falcons QB's for the mini camp

dchi194 (1/23/2008)

yea i noticed that about ainge yesterday in practice. he threw a couple of wobbly balls and i let it slide because i had not seen him play before.

What I don't understand is why everyone is looking at these potential first round and second round QB's? We have one that is on our roster that is very servicable in Redman, who should start the season as the starter after his play late in the season. We also have a guy that should come in as #2 in Harrington, with #3 being fought for between Leftwich and Shockley. There is also still that #7 guy that hasn't been cut that could be out of jail as early as next May that we aren't sure what will happen with.

That said, I really want us to use at least the first 4 picks we have to address places that we really need players at. I wouldn't mind using a 4th rounder on Josh Johnson, or possibly a 5th rounder on Paul Smith at QB. Anything from the 4th round on is pretty much a hail mary anyway, as those prospects are hit and miss. I know you get your Tom Bradys and such every now and then, but those type of guys are rare.

woodstockfan (1/23/2008)

Agreed. As for that top pick, if Ellis does go top2 I would not be annoyed by getting Dorsey.

btw Draftnut57 your Mock would be incredible for us. I'm rooting for it :P