head coach search tidbit

plainsong

plainsong (1/23/2008)
that now the front runner for the falcons coaching job is the defensive coordinator from the jacksonville jaguars. i want to say i heard his name was mike smith but im not sure. anyone else hear this or have any info on him? thanks.

nope i've been hearing ryan and spags. its possible though. i wouldnt shoot anybody down at this point in the game.

well if it is true here is his track record guys:

Smith decided to take up coaching after his playing days were over, and would serve at several Division I colleges before moving onto the NFL: San Diego State (1982-1985), Morehead State (1986), and Tennessee Tech (1987-1998). He was hired as linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 1999, and tutored such players as Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, and Adalius Thomas. Smith was a part of the 2000 Ravens that captured Super Bowl XXXV. On January 21, 2003, Mike Smith was named defensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars for the incoming head coach Jack Del Rio.

-wikipedia

(1/23/2008)
i dont care who we hire because there are nothing but good canidates left. We need to make a move soon so the new HC can establish the best possible coaching staff.

yea the only downside with waiting for spags is that he would have to get his crew in fast. we would only have a week or two until the combine and about a month before FA starts.

chickenfried (1/23/2008)
If true, it's entirely possible Spags passed the word through his agent that he didn't want to pull a Garrett and knows that he needs a couple more years of experience as a coordinator.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe Spag's neighbor's hairdresser's cousin's mailman passed word to the Falcons that he was going to stay with the Giants.

HOWEVER, with all the reports and sources and allegations that have been going around lately, I will wait to see if this actually happens. Could be another incorrect report!