Read between the lines.

etherdome

All my concerns of the disjointed interview process is fading. The new GM has his short list of HC candidates and each one of the candidates has his short list of future OC's.

The ripple effect is evident. Arthur and Rich interviewed HC candidates after each one of the GM candidates gave them a short list of their preferred HC's. The choice of a HC is the most important job of any GM. It made sense to look at the HC choices. The choice is a reflection of the man that makes it.

The owner did his best job of interviewing all the prospective HC candidates, but missed one. That one will be interviewed soon. I now see an advantage to interviewing the HC's before a GM was chosen. Had Arthur and McKay interviewed Spags earlier, the Falcons would have gained permission to interview Spags this week. As it stands, we will have to wait.

If you read between the lines, Dimitroff's statement indicates that he has discussed issues with Spags. Dimitroff mentioned that each of the four candidates has a strong OC in mind. TD has not officially interviewed Spags yet, so the two must have had an active relationship and communicated with each other via agents.

Spags is happy with the four HC candidates that he has. There is likely an order of preference, but all four fit the bill for TD. It is now a matter of including the owner in the process. That is the right thing to do. No HC should ever be hired without the approval of the owner. The HC becomes the face of a franchise, and the owner needs to feel comfortable with him......there is too much money at stake.

We will never know what TD's list looks like, but here is my guess:

1 Steve Spagnuolo: Previous relationship and similar backgrounds link HC and GM.

2 Leslie Frazier: Experience in different organizations and Dungy pedigree. The sole minority candidate.

3 Mike Smith: Hard nosed defenses and production despite injuries.

4 Rex Ryan: A switch to the 3-4 and perceived permissiveness set him back.

bgarcia28 (1/23/2008)
All my concerns of the disjointed interview process is fading. The new GM has his short list of HC candidates and each one of the candidates has his short list of future OC's.

The ripple effect is evident. Arthur and Rich interviewed HC candidates after each one of the GM candidates gave them a short list of their preferred HC's. The choice of a HC is the most important job of any GM. It made sense to look at the HC choices. The choice is a reflection of the man that makes it.

The owner did his best job of interviewing all the prospective HC candidates, but missed one. That one will be interviewed soon. I now see an advantage to interviewing the HC's before a GM was chosen. Had Arthur and McKay interviewed Spags earlier, the Falcons would have gained permission to interview Spags this week. As it stands, we will have to wait.

If you read between the lines, Dimitroff's statement indicates that he has discussed issues with Spags. Dimitroff mentioned that each of the four candidates has a strong OC in mind. TD has not officially interviewed Spags yet, so the two must have had an active relationship and communicated with each other via agents.

Spags is happy with the four HC candidates that he has. There is likely an order of preference, but all four fit the bill for TD. It is now a matter of including the owner in the process. That is the right thing to do. No HC should ever be hired without the approval of the owner. The HC becomes the face of a franchise, and the owner needs to feel comfortable with him......there is too much money at stake.

We will never know what TD's list looks like, but here is my guess:

1 Steve Spagnuolo: Previous relationship and similar backgrounds link HC and GM.

2 Leslie Frazier: Experience in different organizations and Dungy pedigree. The sole minority candidate.

3 Mike Smith: Hard nosed defenses and production despite injuries.

4 Rex Ryan: A switch to the 3-4 and perceived permissiveness set him back.

I agree 100%! I love Spags and that would be an impressive coaching staff. Only problem is you're leaving out one of the most important factors. You still have Blank & McKay right there with their noses in everything. Now, If Blank is smart enough to shut the **** up and let them coach without his interference you aill be well on your way to a very good football team. Otherwise you're screwed and will be until Blank sells the team. It's MAKE OR BREAK TIME for Arthur Blank.