I hope we don't get spags

Twinblade

Not only has he only been a DC for 1 season, I just have a bad feeling about him..I clearly don't think spags is the answer here. All Spags is, is just another Jason Garrett. Overhyped and getting way to much credit. Now go on, hate me for having my opinion, Go on and tell me how wrong I am.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Not only has he only been a DC for 1 season, I just have a bad feeling about him..I clearly don't think spags is the answer here. All Spags is, is just another Jason Garrett. Overhyped and getting way to much credit. Now go on, hate me for having my opinion, Go on and tell me how wrong I am.

now twinblade i wont hate you and call you wrong but i do think this guy should at least get an interview. you never know he may be what we need, he may not. i do feel better about him than garrett though. i dont know why i just do.

Vicious (1/22/2008)
I wouldn't bet against him.

Well I am betting against him because he clearly isn't ready to be our Head coach, I think he should stay with the Giants and take over HC when its time.

That is his best option and this whole "3-4 years" is just guessing, we can wind up being first next year..after all most teams finished last in the nfc south always come out first. Most of the time at least.

Actually, I feel you're dead on right. It's no secret that I've supported a true head caoach in Marty Schottenheimer (third winningest coach in NFL history; two losing seasons out of twenty-one), but the reality of the FO not seeing things my way is starting to set in. That said, Rex Ryan has emerged as the one out of the four viable candidates that I believe is best for the job. Spagnuolo=Mora; WAY IN OVER HIS HEAD AS HEAD COACH!

Twinblade (1/22/2008)

I can respect your opinion, but the only backing you gave to your statement that's factual is about him only being a coordinator for 1 year. Aside from that, what else concerns you?

SPAGNUOLO AT A GLANCE

1982-83& & & & & Massachusetts& & & & & graduate Assistant

1983& & & & & & .Washington Redskins& & player personnel intern

1984-86& & & & & Lafayette& & & & & & & defensive line/special teams

1987-91& & & & & Connecticut& & & & & ..defensive coordinator/defensive backs

1992& & & & & & .Barcelona Dragons& & & defensive line/special teams

1993& & & & & & .San Diego Chargers& & ..scout

1993-94& & & & & Maine& & & & & & & defensive coordinator/def. backs/linebackers

1994-95& & & & & Rutgers& & & & & & & .defensive backs

1996-97& & & & & Bowling Green& & & & .defensive backs

1998& & & & & & .Frankfurt Galaxy& & & ..defensive coordinator/linebackers

1999-00& & & & & Philadelphia Eagles& & ..defensive assistant

2001-03& & & & & Philadelphia Eagles& & ..defensive backs

2004-06& & & & & Philadelphia Eagles& & ..linebackers

2007& & & & & & .New York Giants& & & .defensive coordinator

How can you compare him to Garrett? He's been coaching way longer than Garrett. It's not even close enough to even call it somewhat close.

scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)

I can respect your opinion, but the only backing you gave to your statement that's factual is about him only being a coordinator for 1 year. Aside from that, what else concerns you?

I am concerned that there is better candidates and right now the best candidate has to be Rex Ryan.

Clearly Experience is a better factor, Ryan has been a DC for like 3 to 4 seasons now. Thats better then 1 year DC experience in Spags.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Vicious (1/22/2008)

Well I am betting against him because he clearly isn't ready to be our Head coach, I think he should stay with the Giants and take over HC when its time.

That is his best option and this whole "3-4 years" is just guessing, we can wind up being first next year..after all most teams finished last in the nfc south always come out first. Most of the time at least.

How about backing up why you do not think he's ready. I gave you his entire coaching career as back up for why I think he is.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Vicious (1/22/2008)

Twinblade,

your criticism of Spags is that he has only been a DC for one year - but this is not some guy that has been in coaching for 3 years like a "Singletary" or a "Garrett". Steve Spagnuolo has been a football coach for a long, long time. He's paid his dues, he is finally getting his shot as lead dog - and he's capitalizing on it.

The man has earned where he is now - he was not "lucky"......

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)

I am concerned that there is better candidates and right now the best candidate has to be Rex Ryan.

Clearly Experience is a better factor, Ryan has been a DC for like 3 to 4 seasons now. Thats better then 1 year DC experience in Spags.

SPAGNUOLO AT A GLANCE

1982-83& & & & & Massachusetts& & & & & graduate Assistant

1983& & & & & & .Washington Redskins& & player personnel intern

1984-86& & & & & Lafayette& & & & & & & defensive line/special teams

1987-91& & & & & Connecticut& & & & & ..defensive coordinator/defensive backs

1992& & & & & & .Barcelona Dragons& & & defensive line/special teams

1993& & & & & & .San Diego Chargers& & ..scout

1993-94& & & & & Maine& & & & & & & defensive coordinator/def. backs/linebackers

1994-95& & & & & Rutgers& & & & & & & .defensive backs

1996-97& & & & & Bowling Green& & & & .defensive backs

1998& & & & & & .Frankfurt Galaxy& & & ..defensive coordinator/linebackers

1999-00& & & & & Philadelphia Eagles& & ..defensive assistant

2001-03& & & & & Philadelphia Eagles& & ..defensive backs

2004-06& & & & & Philadelphia Eagles& & ..linebackers

2007& & & & & & .New York Giants& & & .defensive coordinator

Maybe it's just me but I swear that says coordinator 4 times above. Why do you keep saying 1yr DC experience?

Board won't let me edit, so I'll have to repost, but the thing that turns me off most about Spagnuolo is that he seems so nonchalant about even accepting an interview. I realize he's gonna coach in the Super Bowl in two weeks, but could he at least express ANY interest AT ALL in the interview process? Even to say, "I'll handle all opportunities AFTER the Super Bowl!!??" If we wait two weeks just to find this guy really is the spud that a lot of us think he is, I, for one, will be pizzed.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)

I don't understand the allusion that someone has to have extensive experience as a coordinator to be considered a HC. If you're going by strictly the amount of years working in football, in any capacity, than Spagnuolo has more experience than Ryan.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Vicious (1/22/2008)
Come on now. He's been a coordinator 3 other times.

LB/DB coach since 1999 to 2006

DC since 2007

Vicious versus Twinblade

winner = Vicious:)

sorry Twinblade......when a guy has a 20yr coaching career and he has been successful and your only criticism is that he was only a DC for 1 year - well.......I undertand but this is not the "end all be all".

Tell me Twinblade, do you consider Andy Reid a good NFL head coach? because, if you do, well Andy Reid was not an NFL coordinator - at all......

The Indianapolis Colts(last time I checked they were pretty good) are about to name Jim Caldwell the successor to Tony Dungy and Caldwell was a college head coach but has never been a coordinator in the NFL....

Board won't let me edit, so I'll have to repost, but the thing that turns me off most about Spagnuolo is that he seems so nonchalant about even accepting an interview. I realize he's gonna coach in the Super Bowl in two weeks, but could he at least express ANY interest AT ALL in the interview process? Even to say, "I'll handle all opportunities AFTER the Super Bowl!!??" If we wait two weeks just to find this guy really is the spud that a lot of us think he is, I, for one, will be pizzed.

I'm pretty sure that Spags' agent has been contacted and has relayed that he's interested. It wouldn't make since to hold out for someone that you do not even know is interested.

g-dawg (1/23/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Vicious (1/22/2008)
Come on now. He's been a coordinator 3 other times.

LB/DB coach since 1999 to 2006

DC since 2007

Vicious versus Twinblade

winner = Vicious:)

sorry Twinblade......when a guy has a 20yr coaching career and he has been successful and your only criticism is that he was only a DC for 1 year - well.......I undertand but this is not the "end all be all".

Tell me Twinblade, do you consider Andy Reid a good NFL head coach? because, if you do, well Andy Reid was not an NFL coordinator - at all......

The Indianapolis Colts(last time I checked they were pretty good) are about to name Jim Caldwell the successor to Tony Dungy and Caldwell was a college head coach but has never been a coordinator in the NFL....

When did this turn into a Vs match? I clearly stated my opinion on why I don't want him here.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Vicious (1/22/2008)

you keep saying he is "clearly" not ready to be our coach but then don't give reasons. and chef we all would have wanted marty but he turned us down not much more that you can do.

Vicious,

I appreciate you posting Spagnuolo's team resume and experience. Is there any way you could find the team's numbers in conjunction with his resume? (W-L Record, Defensive ranks, etc). What if his teams were all dogs? He can have all the experience in the world for sh*tty, losing teams and I still wouldn't want him!

pren226 (1/23/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Vicious (1/22/2008)

you keep saying he is "clearly" not ready to be our coach but then don't give reasons. and chef we all would have wanted marty but he turned us down not much more that you can do.

Hes not ready to be head coach...when he does become Head coach, It should clearly be with the Giants.

Twinblade (1/23/2008)
Get mad, I really don't care, I still think Ryan is the better choice then Spags. Spags has not impress me at all. People getting all hyped up because the giants got in the superbowl...whoopie.

A lot of people were hyping him up before they got to the SB. Like I said, I can respect your opinion, but you've failed to sufficiently support your argument. I see this as an "I told you so" kind of post (assuming Spagnuolo doesn't work out).