Falcons coaching search down to 4 candidtes

Jerry Maguire

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
The Cush (1/22/2008)
Spags strikes me as a very loyal guy, and definitely not a quitter. I think he would be here for the long haul, and I think there will be improvement in year 1.

If Spags was smart enough, he would wait until the giants hc job is open. I really don't see him leaving the giants.

tom will probably get resigned now since he got them to the SB.

The Cush (1/22/2008)
Spags strikes me as a very loyal guy, and definitely not a quitter. I think he would be here for the long haul, and I think there will be improvement in year 1.

yeah, whoever said Spags would leave in 2008, i'm sorry but I don't think so. Just from all I have read about this guy - he sounds like the coaching equivalent of "RUDY". Spags has beaten the odds, has done all the dirty work and through perseverance has come out on top after a long, long road.

Spags is the "anti-Petrino" - there is no quit in Spags. Check out his history and what his players and coaching associates say about the guy - Spags is a winner! plain and simple

Superfan "! (1/22/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)
Supes i feel your pain. mike singletary actually wanted to be here, but i think rex ryan is the next best thing, because he actually wants to be here also, and he is a pretty good DC.

Thanks man,...I'll live. I'll support whoever is hired,........as always.

thats the life of a Homer. got to support who ever is there. I think rex or Spag can be really good HCs if given the chance. i wish we could get singletary as DC atleast.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Superfan "! (1/22/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)
Supes i feel your pain. mike singletary actually wanted to be here, but i think rex ryan is the next best thing, because he actually wants to be here also, and he is a pretty good DC.

Look at it this way, if Rex Ryan becomes HC...If he don't get his brother, He may get Singletary for DC.

cant do either. they would be considered a lateral move or a demotion, and thats not possible.

GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Superfan "! (1/22/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)

Look at it this way, if Rex Ryan becomes HC...If he don't get his brother, He may get Singletary for DC.

cant do either. they would be considered a lateral move or a demotion, and thats not possible.

Um he would be Asst HC and DC

Thats more then a promotion.

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)
Superfan "! (1/22/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)

Um he would be Asst HC and DC

Thats more then a promotion.

its considered a lateral move. asst HC can only move up to HC. same with DC and OC, unless the HC is fired, because then they do not have a job.

Superfan "! (1/22/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/22/2008)

Much like myself, Supes, I think what you'll do is slap on those Red and Black glasses and convince yourself that Coach X is EXACTLY who we've always wanted and needed, and become excited to watch him drag us out of the pit! (At least until the season starts:hehe:)

its considered a lateral move. asst HC can only move up to HC. same with DC and OC, unless the HC is fired, because then they do not have a job.

I'm pretty sure you've got it wrong there. Assistant HC is not a literal position like DC is. But Singeltary IS NOT the 49er's DC, he's just "assistant HC -Defense", so he could come here as the DC and it would indeed be a promotion. Greg Manusky is the 49er's DC.

xnex (1/22/2008)

I'm pretty sure you've got it wrong there. Assistant HC is not a literal position like DC is. But Singeltary IS NOT the 49er's DC, he's just "assistant HC -Defense", so he could come here as the DC and it would indeed be a promotion. Greg Manusky is the 49er's DC.

no he's right it is a lateral move. i heard it somewhere on tv before. they sign people up as assistant head coaches just so they cant be stolen by another team to be offensive and defensive coordinators

no he's right it is a lateral move. i heard it somewhere on tv before. they sign people up as assistant head coaches just so they cant be stolen by another team to be offensive and defensive coordinators

I will endevor to clarify my understanding then. I thought I heard somewhere on television recently that Asst. HC's could move to take a coordinator position because they currently aren't a coordinator. Either way I don't think our new HC would bring him here anyway but I do want to do more research and make sure I know the answer.

what happened to schwartz? i thought we interviewed him, but he's not mentioned in that article. Bummer cuz if Ryan isn't selected, I was hoping for him. The guy had a both passing and rushing defense in the top 10 this year, and while there is some talent on that defense, he doesnt have as much to work with as spags or rex ryan in terms of raw talent.

xnex (1/23/2008)

I will endevor to clarify my understanding then. I thought I heard somewhere on television recently that Asst. HC's could move to take a coordinator position because they currently aren't a coordinator. Either way I don't think our new HC would bring him here anyway but I do want to do more research and make sure I know the answer.

asst. HC tag means your 2nd in line for HC. If the HC cant be there, then you take over, so that is technically 2nd in command, so beind a DC/OC would be a demotion/ lateral move.

falcon_freddie (1/23/2008)
I think it obvious: if the Falcons don't announce a new head coach by this Saturday (Jan. 26) then they have decided on Steve Spagnuolo and are just waiting for February 4 to arrive.

I am not so sure about that. I think that they will wait for Spags, if his agent suggests that he is interested. Spags will get interviewed and if Arthur likes him, he will probably be Dimitroff's first choice. If Arthur does not feel comfortable with him, then Dimitroff will move down his preference list and hire our next HC.

It will probably happen within a week after the SB.