Our new defensive coordinator

Jeremy Jones

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Jim Fassel is now the "leading candidate" to take over the Redskins' head coaching job.

A stunner, but Dan Snyder appears to want a "proven" talent and Fassel has won in the NFC East. Fassel has a reputation as someone who can mentor young quarterbacks, but the decision to hire him would not go over well with either the players or fans in Washington. Shefter also reports that the Redskins are interested in hiring Rex Ryan as their new defensive coordinator. Gregg Williams' chances appear to be taking a hit.

Related: Ravens

Looks like greg williams will be available.

Jeremy Jones (1/22/2008)
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Jim Fassel is now the "leading candidate" to take over the Redskins' head coaching job.

A stunner, but Dan Snyder appears to want a "proven" talent and Fassel has won in the NFC East. Fassel has a reputation as someone who can mentor young quarterbacks, but the decision to hire him would not go over well with either the players or fans in Washington. Shefter also reports that the Redskins are interested in hiring Rex Ryan as their new defensive coordinator. Gregg Williams' chances appear to be taking a hit.

i didnt hear about the ryan thing but i do think the skins will hire fassel.

if we hired spags i dont think he would hire williams as his d coordinator. i think he would bring in someone he knows that he worked with on either the eagles or giants. it could be a unproven db coach, lb coach etc but someone that is on the same page with spags. i would say he would be more picky about hiring a de coordinator than a o coordinator cause spags would also run the de.

Jeremy Jones (1/22/2008)

Fassels last job was baltimore OC where he was fired.