Anyone interested in a Lab or two?

capologist

twright21 (1/22/2008)
you think they can fight? i'm just sayin'.....

Nope, they'd get demolished in a fight. They have soft mouths,and their maximum bite pressure is in the neighborhood of 80 psi. Pits and the like are well over 1000 psi. Just sayin'...

They're not even good guard dogs, other than alerting you to potential danger and trying to ward off intruders. You can pry their jaws apart with your hands. That's why I didn't understand why the chick that got killed a few weeks ago had a lab puppy for a protection dog. They're protective sure, and can look menacing when they're growling and snarling because they can get big as adults, but they're not the ideal guard dog.

I have owned several, and they're great hunting dogs. Because of their soft mouths they don't tear a duck up when retrieving. I will still kill the son of a ##### that stole the last one I had if I find out who did.

capologist (1/23/2008)
JDaveG (1/23/2008)
capologist (1/22/2008)
Found these guys wandering around and had to take them in.

First up is Brownie:

Brownie looks like he might be mixed with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, judging from the color.

Great looking dogs, Cappy. I wish I was in the market, but we have our dog and don't need another. If I hear of anyone looking, I'll let you know.

Thanks! You are the 2nd that mentioned the Chesapeake.

The coat isn't curly enough to be bred with a Chesapeake. It's just a chocolate lab that isn't so chocolate. Doesn't appear to be a very strong blood line though, the head isn't shaped right for a dog with papers, so it's a weaker bloodline, but still appears to be full blooded lab. The bloodline doesn't mean it won't be a great dog, just that it's not from a certified breeder.

popcornplaya (1/23/2008)
The coat isn't curly enough to be bred with a Chesapeake. It's just a chocolate lab that isn't so chocolate. Doesn't appear to be a very strong blood line though, the head isn't shaped right for a dog with papers, so it's a weaker bloodline, but still appears to be full blooded lab. The bloodline doesn't mean it won't be a great dog, just that it's not from a certified breeder.

Is the wavy coat that dominant? I've never really seen any Chessie mixes.

Either way, she looks like a beaut. Probably a better dog for a novice if she's NOT part Chessie -- they tend to be pretty strong-willed. Great dogs for someone that knows what they are doing, but a nightmare for someone who cannot be patient and consistent and give them a LOT of exercise (and the latter is true of Labs as well).

capologist (1/27/2008)
Happy to say that Brownie did very well and that she should be going to the vet this week and then her new home!

Now to find Shadow a home!

great news cappy. i'm sure you could use a second dog to hang out with. i can't wait until my new yellow lab, bowden, can hop in the truck and go down to the lake or up to the mountains with me for a weekend.

mookie6927 (1/27/2008)

great news cappy. i'm sure you could use a second dog to hang out with. i can't wait until my new yellow lab, bowden, can hop in the truck and go down to the lake or up to the mountains with me for a weekend.

I'd love to keep her but my fence needs to be replaced with a higher one and that involves funds which I don't have unfortunately.