Does the Rooney rule apply to the Seahawks and Cowboys?

etherdome

It looks like the Seahawks and Cowboys have a planned succession in place for their HC positions. Under normal circumstances, that kind of corporate planning is a very good idea. However, this is the NFL and neither of the "heirs" is a minority.

Has there been any outcry? I haven't heard much from the media. The double standard in this business is staggering.

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...ooney_rule.html

BlacksburgHokie (1/22/2008)
"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...ooney_rule.html

Thanks for the explanation.

rock (1/22/2008)
The Rooney rule is discrimination anyway. You should'nt have to interview anyone at any position at any company because of their skin color.

I disagree. The Rooney rule was established to help minorities that are not minorities within their career. The good ole boy network had to be disrupted. I think that interviewing minority candidates opens eyes that were once closed. It has already improved the league.

rock (1/22/2008)
The Rooney rule is discrimination anyway. You should'nt have to interview anyone at any position at any company because of their skin color.

And you shouldn't interview someone just because they're the son of a golf buddy or because their uncle is on the board of directors either, but its done...when "nepotism" is no longer tolerated, let me know.

july425 (1/22/2008)

And you shouldn't interview someone just because they're the son of a golf buddy or because their uncle is on the board of directors either, but its done...when "nepotism" is no longer tolerated, let me know.

I agree....All interviews should be done blindfolded with no names from this point forward:D

Personally I think you should be able to hire whoever you want to hire based on whatever criteria you want. If you aren't getting the most qualified canidates you pay for it by not being successful.

Honestly I don't see the point in wasting someone's time with an interview if you know you're not really interested in them to start with.

bgarcia28 (1/22/2008)
rock (1/22/2008)

I disagree. The Rooney rule was established to help minorities that are not minorities within their career. The good ole boy network had to be disrupted. I think that interviewing minority candidates opens eyes that were once closed. It has already improved the league.

If you interviewed norm chow it wouldnt count.If you interview ron rivera it wouldnt count.So where do the "minorities" come in.

bigduke633 (1/22/2008)
bgarcia28 (1/22/2008)
rock (1/22/2008)

Actually, Ron Rivera does count as a minority interview.....he was used for that purpose last year. I can not say whether Chow would fit the bill.......and I can not give you a reason why he would not.

If you interviewed norm chow it wouldnt count.If you interview ron rivera it wouldnt count.So where do the "minorities" come in.

He could be wrong but kincade was saying that neither counted.There arent many latino or asian coaches out there but they should count.What if my canidate is one eigth cherokee?Where does it stop.How many scottish coaches we got?We may need a new rule until the irish are happy with the percentages.Its just politics putting its nose in a highly visible market.

The Rooney Rule requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for a head coaching opportunity. The rule is named for Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the chairman of the league's diversity committee, and is often cited as an example of affirmative action.

In 2003, the NFL fined the Detroit Lions $200,000 for failure to interview minority candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job. After Marty Mornhinweg was fired, the Lions immediately hired former San Francisco 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci to replace him without interviewing any other candidates. The Lions claimed they attempted to interview other candidates but that the minority candidates withdrew from interviews, believing Mariucci's hiring was inevitable.

Since the Rooney Rule was established, several NFL franchises have hired minority head coaches (including the Steelers themselves, who hired Mike Tomlin before their 2007 season), although the policy is still debated. No team has stated whether the Rooney Rule contributed to the hiring of a minority.

However, the rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the starting job in case of an opening. [1] This was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season

Doesnt it back fire when people are interviewing or asked to interview for jobs they know they will not get?Step into my office I dont want to get fined?I agree people need to consider minorities.The steelers and colts are 2 of the best jobs in the nfl and the coaching tree from there is growing.Thats how it should go about.Owners hire who they are comfortable with and or know.I think there has been considerable improvement in the past 10 years.Generations dont change over night.Herm edwards,lovie smith and dungy are some of my favorite coaches.They smell of wisdom and football smarts to me.;)