I'm officially on the "Singletary for Head Coach" Bandwagon!!!

Gimmesomo

All accolades and recommendations and resumes and friendships and accquaintainces and opinions and statistics and ALL THAT CRAP aside!!! Mike Singletary is forreal man....unfortunately all you technical guys, uh....politically correct guys who I keep seeing these unfortuate overopinionated topics are trying to use basic knowledge over something called wisdom.......anyone who's opposed to Singletary has obviously NEVER seen him in action..

FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!!!!! he demands respect as man!!! If you're the leader of a group of athletic and physically gifted BLACK (and white,latin,and asian) men, instinctively they're gonna respect someone who: 1) understands them 2) will put it all on the line for them 3) BELIEVES IN THEM and lastly or 4) has the technical knowledge to get the job done.

The status of our franchise is in need of a guy like: Singletary! Not some of these brainy guys who are good at X's and O's! The "x's and o's guys are coordinators for a reason! DUH! Good coach's DO have great knowledge of the game, i don't doubt that, GREAT COACHES ARE MOTIVATORS AND PEOPLE WHO INSPIRE!!! That's all Singletary does!!!

I'm tired of all these OC and DC names being thrown around! Their's somebody for every job! You pick the wrong man u get the wrong results as we've just previously learned so:

To sum up our FO's solution: PICK THE RIGHT GUYS!!! duh...sometimes the best answer is the most simple and the most simple is the hardest to see...we suck right now 'cause we tried stuff and football is simple. It's not trying stuff it's getting the guys who DO stuff, not could do stuff (our #8 pick last year and former HC) or is going to do stuff, it's guys who do it NOW!!!

I was definitely "pro" Mike Singletary for Head Coach when we first started looking. But since then, there has been quite a bit discussed and bantered about concerning Coach Singletary.

There is no doubt that Mike Singletary was one of the best players ever in the NFL and can somewhat relate to todays players. But there is some hesitance on the 49ers part to make him anything more than an Assistant. Not a Coordinator but an Assistant. That raise a red flag in my mind.

He also is known for his motivational speeches in which he arouses the guys to go out and lay it all on the line with a "fire and brimstone" type talk. But we are talking about the NFL here. That only works about 4 or 5 times with NFL players and then they get tired of it and have this "lets just go and play" attitude.

In all honesty, I think Coach Singletary would be better suited for Head Coach of a College or University. Its just my opinion but it seems to be many GMs opinion as well.

Birdmahn (1/22/2008)
We are to believe you know more about Singletary's coaching ability than all the smart football people at all the NFL teams that interviewed and hired HC's with hiring HIM?

His biggest flaw is his inexperience "yes" but it's a no-brainer that his ability to teach and lead will quickly overcome that flaw especially with good coordinators around him....i'm starting to honestly believe that because the new "hype" of successful african-american Head Coaches being hired more rapidly now is causing unspoken and unconcious alarm to the football "powers-that-be" that they can't "come-along too fast" (for lack of a better phrase) It makes sense to groom people into their proper position is doesn't make sense to hold them back because of hidden or unclear motives concluded out indirect negativity.....get it?

Gimmesomo (1/22/2008)
Birdmahn (1/22/2008)
We are to believe you know more about Singletary's coaching ability than all the smart football people at all the NFL teams that interviewed and hired HC's with hiring HIM?

His biggest flaw is his inexperience "yes" but it's a no-brainer that his ability to teach and lead will quickly overcome that flaw especially with good coordinators around him....i'm starting to honestly believe that because the new "hype" of successful african-american Head Coaches being hired more rapidly now is causing unspoken and unconcious alarm to the football "powers-that-be" that they can't "come-along too fast" (for lack of a better phrase) It makes sense to groom people into their proper position is doesn't make sense to hold them back because of hidden or unclear motives concluded out indirect negativity.....get it?

You would know someone would play the race card. Good grief.

These are the qualities I'm looking for in a Head Coach:

The ability to teach:

When we were in school we all had teachers that were able to connect to the students better than others. Some were able to accomplish this by making the class interesting while others used a stern approach that demanded respect. Either way, they all had one thing in common, they were all knowledgeable and passionate about what they were teaching. Finding a coach that can teach in their own manner is imperative to the growing process of our players and franchise.

(Coaches with varying styles can be successful. Ex: Dungy is laid back. Parcells ruled with an iron fist. Vermeil cried when a player got constipated. All were superb coaches with a lot of knowledge and passion for the game of football regardless of their differing coaching styles)

The ability to build a staff:

A Head Coach simply cannot be successful by himself. He must have reliable men who believe in the same systems to connect and build in conjunction with each other. He must hire a staff with equal teaching qualities and base these teachings on solid systems. The right staff can make or break a coach. Hiring friends or family can make a short coaching career.

(Coaches that are married to their coordinators rarely succeed. Ex: Mora, Knapp, Donatell)

He must connect well with the front office:

Having a working relationship with the suits is vital. A head coach in most situations has to realize that you can't always get what you want but being able to approach both the owner and GM is the best way to get what you need. Communication is key for both sides to have a shared plan for success.

(This is where the Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer failed in San Diego. We may never know who was at fault but for whatever reason they were unable to develop a workable relationship. You don't always have to like the guy but there must be mutual respect)

Having said this I believe it would be a mistake to hire a Head Coach that did not have the background to be considered a coordinator at the NFL level. There is a big difference between being philosophical and having football related knowledge. Don't get me wrong, Singletary may be a great coach with the RIGHT staff, but until I've seen a staff proposed, I can't endorse a guy just because he's motivational. A great speech may get the guys on the field ready to run through walls for you as a coach but game planning and in-game and halftime adjustments are the difference between W's and L's.

falken