SOUNDS LIKE REX RYAN REALLY WANTS THIS JOB...

magnus23

Ryan awaits call from Falcons

Former Ravens coordinator 'in a holding pattern'

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/22/08

Mobile, Ala. Rex Ryan, Baltimore's former defensive coordinator, is waiting to hear from the Falcons about their head coaching vacancy.

Ryan, who was here scouting at the Senior Bowl, has been interviewed twice for the position.

"I'm in a holding pattern, otherwise I haven't been informed," Ryan said. "It's getting close, I feel. It's taking a while, but that's OK. Hopefully it works out for me."

Ryan is also a candidate to return as Baltimore's defensive coordinator under new coach John Harbaugh.

Ryan clearly covets the Falcons' position.

"There are tons of positives things about the job," Ryan said. "They have a lot of good people in the organization. They have a lot of talent. It's going to be great situation for whoever gets it. Hopefully, I'm that guy."

Ryan doesn't mind waiting out the Falcons protracted search.

"I think they're being thorough, it's as thorough of a search that I've been around," Ryan said. "I'm confident they'll get the best guy."

The Falcons were previously denied permission to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo during the playoffs. The team, per NFL rules, will have to wait until after the Feb. 3 Super Bowl between the Giants and New England to interview Spagnuolo.

Jacksonville defensive coordinator Mike Smith interviewed twice. Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier had his first interview with the Falcons Friday and Saturday.

Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell and Cowboys offensive line coach Tony Sparano were interviewed by Atlanta immediately after the conclusion of the regular season. The franchise also spoke with University of Southern California coach Pete Carroll but those conversations did not lead to an interview.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. The best part about that article is the fact that Ryan said we are being thorough in our search for a head coach. Blank and TD are taking their time on this matter which means that we are not "rushing" a very important decision. I feel like Blank & TD are doing a great job by not rushing themselves on this matter IMHO.

Jeremy Jones (1/22/2008)
It's too bad, cause I really like him. I just like Spags more. I wish we would have interviewed him last year. He is a really good guy and a defensive genius.

I feel exactly the other way. I like Spags, but I think Ryan is going to be the better head coach. Either way, I think we are getting the real deal this time.

MidWest Falcon (1/22/2008)
Great post. The best part about that article is the fact that Ryan said we are being thorough in our search for a head coach. Blank and TD are taking their time on this matter which means that we are not "rushing" a very important decision. I feel like Blank & TD are doing a great job by not rushing themselves on this matter IMHO.

The Falcons would have made the quick hire if Garrett wanted the job. The coaching search would have been over by now if the Giants got bumped from the playoffs.

Regarding the 3-4 issue....

from Footballsfuture.com

The 34 Outside Line Backer: 34 OLBs are the playmakers of the 34 D. They get most of the QB sacks. They must be very good pass rushers and be able to drop into coverage. If the 34 OLBs are unable to consistently apply pressure on the QB, the defense will be vulnerable to the passing game. They tend to weigh around 245 to 270, and many are former 43 DEs in college, some call them "tweeners". Most 43 DEs however are not suited to playing 34 OLB because they lack the athletic ability to play in space.

The more agile 43 DEs, such as John Abraham 6-4 256, are able to play both 43 DE and 34 OLB.

Many 43 OLBs are not suited to playing 34 OLB because they lack the pass rush skills and the size/ability to go toe-to-toe with an OT. An example of a solid 34 OLB is Willie McGinest 6-5 270.

Two players on the Dolphins who are/would be good 34 OLBs are Joey Porter 6-2 248 and Jason Taylor 6-6 260.

Abraham would be a sick 2nd OLB.

We then may be tempted to take Calais Campbell if he falls to the second round.

az,falcon928 (1/22/2008)
A coach actually wants to be a part of this and try to build it, Sounds like he is a person they should talk to. Everyone else seems scared of the situation.

Yeah exactly! That means he'd put all of his heart and effort into the rebuilding process, and not just like some other dude who wants the money and leave in a couple of years.

nikko (1/22/2008)
he could be a good way if Steve Spagnuolo decline our offer

You all better hope Spags takes your offer! You have to remember, Rex Ryan is the son of one of the all time great ******** to ever coach in the NFL. Problem with Buddy is he's a jerk on a personal level not just as a HC.

The apple rarely falls to far from the tree.

Johnnybuc (1/22/2008)
nikko (1/22/2008)
he could be a good way if Steve Spagnuolo decline our offer

You all better hope Spags takes your offer! You have to remember, Rex Ryan is the son of one of the all time great ******** to ever coach in the NFL. Problem with Buddy is he's a jerk on a personal level not just as a HC.

The apple rarely falls to far from the tree.

have you ever listened to his interviews? Have you ever heard about how the players talk about him and want him to be coach? I don't think a ##### would get that much recongition.

you need to stop posting. your sig ends up hypnotizing me for like half an hour every time you do, and even when I snap out of it, i can't get out from behind my desk for like half an hour. knock it off.

:P

redbird56 (1/22/2008)

you need to stop posting. your sig ends up hypnotizing me for like half an hour every time you do, and even when I snap out of it, i can't get out from behind my desk for like half an hour. knock it off.

:P

LOL, isn't it great. Just trying to lighten the mood around these MB's. It's been very tense lately :cool:

Why do folks "feel" for Ryan? He is employed as a DC in Baltimore. There are plenty of unemployed coaches running around in Mobile at this very moment.

Leslie Frazier is as qualified as Ryan and probably has a better temperment for the job. Cam Cameron was fired after only one season......and his personnel stinks. Greg Williams is a phenomenal coach and his owner has him on a thin line.

NFL coaches have it really tough....and their families struggle with them.

So, if you feel sorry for Rex, make sure you feel for the many other guys out there, desperate for a shot at our HC job.