This is for the panic strickened among us.

etherdome

This is from the AJC:

Ryan awaits call from Falcons

Former Ravens coordinator 'in a holding pattern'

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/22/08

Mobile, Ala. Rex Ryan, Baltimore's former defensive coordinator, is waiting to hear from the Falcons about their head coaching vacancy.

Ryan, who was here scouting at the Senior Bowl, has been interviewed twice for the position.

"I'm in a holding pattern, otherwise I haven't been informed," Ryan said. "It's getting close, I feel. It's taking a while, but that's OK. Hopefully it works out for me."

Ryan is also a candidate to return as Baltimore's defensive coordinator under new coach John Harbaugh.

Ryan clearly covets the Falcons' position.

"There are tons of positives things about the job," Ryan said. "They have a lot of good people in the organization. They have a lot of talent. It's going to be great situation for whoever gets it. Hopefully, I'm that guy."

Ryan doesn't mind waiting out the Falcons protracted search.

"I think they're being thorough, it's as thorough of a search that I've been around," Ryan said. "I'm confident they'll get the best guy."

The Falcons were previously denied permission to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo during the playoffs. The team, per NFL rules, will have to wait until after the Feb. 3 Super Bowl between the Giants and New England to interview Spagnuolo.

Jacksonville defensive coordinator Mike Smith interviewed twice. Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier had his first interview with the Falcons Friday and Saturday.

Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell and Cowboys offensive line coach Tony Sparano were interviewed by Atlanta immediately after the conclusion of the regular season. The franchise also spoke with University of Southern California coach Pete Carroll but those conversations did not lead to an interview.

"I think they're being thorough, it's as thorough of a search that I've been around," Ryan said. "I'm confident they'll get the best guy."

This is what the calmer MB members have been trying to get across to everyone else. There is no hurry, regardless of what the uninformed John Clayton says.

scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
"They have a lot of talent."

- Is he watching the same team I am? We have a few good players, that's about it.

On defense: M. Boley, D. Hall, J. Abraham, T. Lewis, J. Anderson, and C. Houston. Before you all start up on J Anderson, keep in mind that he is very young and inexperienced. He will develop quite nicely.

On offense: Norwood, White, Mughelli, Blalock, and Foster make up a young and improving group of players that will be impactful in the future.

A prospective HC has to look at what he can do with the young talent. This team has young talent that have the potential to improve. Any HC worth his salt, sees potential and believes that he can turn it into a winning team. Ryan is no different.

bgarcia28 (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

- Is he watching the same team I am? We have a few good players, that's about it.

On defense: M. Boley, D. Hall, J. Abraham, T. Lewis, J. Anderson, and C. Houston. Before you all start up on J Anderson, keep in mind that he is very young and inexperienced. He will develop quite nicely.

On offense: Norwood, White, Mughelli, Blalock, and Foster make up a young and improving group of players that will be impactful in the future.

A prospective HC has to look at what he can do with the young talent. This team has young talent that have the potential to improve. Any HC worth his salt, sees potential and believes that he can turn it into a winning team. Ryan is no different.

I think I am one of the most reasonable members on these boards, but I don't think you can convince me we are a talented team. Sure, every team has some good players, but I like to look at the players that you can build around.

Defense: Michael Boley no doubt is one. There's a great chance DHall isn't back with us. Until I see him at training camp, I don't count him. J. Abraham has been very good with us, but his years are limited. Trey Lewis impressed me last year before his injury, but we still don't know whether he can become a great player, a solid starter, or a career back-up. We don't know what we have in Jamaal or Chris Houston just yet, but I am by no means giving up on them.

As far as offense, I see Roddy and Jerious as the only players that you build around. Laurent could become one, but that will be determined in a few years.

I am not trying to be a pessimist by any means. I'm not one of the people that think no one will want to coach here. I think any NFL team has good things to it. I just don't think right now that there's much great talent on this team that you can build around.

bgarcia28 (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

This team has a lot of potential and talent. I have been saying this the last couple of months. Look at what this team did the last couple of games without BP. Don't count out Redman. When he started in the NFL it was the Ravens. 1. they can't evaluate talent. 2. He was injured. So in reality he is healthy with knowledge of the game. He has proved he can play the game.

The new HC will be coming to the weak NFC south. Ryan knows this and knows this means he can win the Division with just a couple pieces of the puzzle. Again don't forget the NFC can be had too. GB is the only team that is young and upcoming. FA and losing assistant coaches should not happen to them but the rest of the NFC

1. Bears - no QB, defense questionable

2. Cowboys - will be raped by Miami of FA and coaches

3. Vikings - No pass defense and can't pass

4. Cards - QB questions

This could be our year!

rcky_mtn_falcon (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

No he's watching the same team, the difference is he recognizes NFL talent and you don't.

Care to put your homerism aside, and explain to me how we are a talented team, compared to the rest of the league?

scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

No he's watching the same team, the difference is he recognizes NFL talent and you don't.

Care to put your homerism aside, and explain to me how we are a talented team, compared to the rest of the league?

CB, LB, DE, TE, RB who have been to the probowl.

WR who has over 1000 yds in receiving.

1st half of the season the defense had 1 of the better 3rd down % in the league.

Upcoming stars of L Robinson ,Boley, and Houston.

BayouFalFan (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

1st half of the season the defense had 1 of the better 3rd down % in the league.

Like I said in my other posts, I'm talking about players you build the team around. Every team has some good players. I completely agree about Boley. He's a stud. Jerious and Roddy too are guys that I consider players you build around. With the unknown status of DHall, I can't count him. Alge is done IMO. His knees aren't getting any better, and he is out-of-shape. Abe has been great with us, but he doesn't have many years left. Jamaal, Laurent, and Houston were all rookies, so we don't know what we really have in them yet. But I'm not giving up on any of those guys, like many others seem to have.

scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
BayouFalFan (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

Like I said in my other posts, I'm talking about players you build the team around. Every team has some good players. I completely agree about Boley. He's a stud. Jerious and Roddy too are guys that I consider players you build around. With the unknown status of DHall, I can't count him. Alge is done IMO. His knees aren't getting any better, and he is out-of-shape. Abe has been great with us, but he doesn't have many years left. Jamaal, Laurent, and Houston were all rookies, so we don't know what we really have in them yet. But I'm not giving up on any of those guys, like many others seem to have.

laurent has great hands and speed and houston has lots of potential, so i think there is a great chance that they will produce assuming we can get them involved. im hoping for the best for jamaal though.

bossFALCON (1/22/2008)
Johnnybuc (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

Yeah, I thought that pretty funny myself. He may need to check into LASIK surgery before he signs a contract.

we have better young offensive talent than tampa.

Granted Norwood and White are better than any of our younger guys but I'll take Earnest Graham all day long over Norwood and we'll be taking care of the WR position in FA Besides those two you don't have any YOUNG talent anywhere. What about your Oline? We have 3 up & comers on our line. Who do you have besides Blalock? If Caddy comes back by '09 we'll be fine but I'm sure we're looking at RB in the draft since there'll plenty of talent there.

To try & compare the talent on your team to any out there except maybe Miami is just plain dumb. But that's just my opinion..................and probably about 5 million others.;)

scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

I am not trying to be a pessimist by any means.

Well, some of us attain that status without any real effort. One should try to avoid equating cynicism with sophisticated thought - although you'll never convince them of it, cynics are the most naive of all.

That the Falcons are down is undeniable, but the team is - in my august opinion - far from hopeless. The Dolphins and Rams may have had worst W-L records, but I hold it's the Falcons who in 2007 truly had the Season from ****.

Also, in my august opinion, you show me a team with a good quarterback, and I'll show you a team with a good offensive line. Yes, there are many areas in need of improvement, but the O-line, more than anything, should be the #1 focus of the new GM and head coach. I truly believe that if Tom Brady had played behind the Falcons O-line in the last few seasons there wouldn't be any wonder why he was a sixth-rounder.

Johnnybuc (1/22/2008)
bossFALCON (1/22/2008)
Johnnybuc (1/22/2008)
scott24falcs (1/22/2008)

Yeah, I thought that pretty funny myself. He may need to check into LASIK surgery before he signs a contract.

we have better young offensive talent than tampa.

Granted Norwood and White are better than any of our younger guys but I'll take Earnest Graham all day long over Norwood and we'll be taking care of the WR position in FA Besides those two you don't have any YOUNG talent anywhere. What about your Oline? We have 3 up & comers on our line. Who do you have besides Blalock? If Caddy comes back by '09 we'll be fine but I'm sure we're looking at RB in the draft since there'll plenty of talent there.

To try & compare the talent on your team to any out there except maybe Miami is just plain dumb. But that's just my opinion..................and probably about 5 million others.:rolleyes:

lol really i was just talking because i didnt think you would respond but we also have laurent robinson.....(scratches head)....and uh other players you know.:ermm: but we can compare ourselves to oakland because other than maybe russell and fargas there aint ##### out there.

I definetly agree falcon freddie. Last season, basically everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. But, we're in a good position to turn things around. Probably not next year, but in a few years. We will be in a good position to bring in some good players through the draft, and with the cuts of some veterans, and restructures, we will have a good amount of money to sign some FAs. I just hope we don't go too crazy in FA.

In the NFL there really is a lot of parity. This team does have more talent than a lot of people realize. Not enough to compete for a championship, but a good bit better than many people think. There a has been a gross misuse of some of this talent over the years. For instance having poor coordinators like Donatell and Knapp or a head coach that was clearly in over his head like Petrino. With the right people in place this team would have won a few more games this year. In a weak NFC South that alone would have had them in contention for a division title and the postseason. The problem we face now is that this team is at a crossroads. There are cap issues that will limit the ability to sign FA's and some dead weight that needs to be dropped (IMO Harrington, Leftwich, Coleman, Gandy, Dunn, etc). This could cause a temporary slow down to the teams improvement, but if the right moves are made now then this team could be set up pretty well for success in the future.

i really hope ryan gets the job, he seems genuinely enthused about it. sadly, that will not be the case until spags turns it down. i feel ryan is much more established and has done it longer and done it well. i think he's the guy. a lot of people are high on spags, but i have a feeling if he's the guy, we're gonna regret it in a couple of years. i'd rather have schwartz than spags.

i agree with him, actually. we do have a significant amount of talent on this team, but we lack it at 2 of the most critical positions...OL and QB. you could have a team full of pro bowlers, but if your OL and QB blow dong you still won't get anywhere.

We have a nucleus of promising young playerrs (Blalock, Norwood, White, Ovie, Robinson, Lewis, Anderson, Boley, Nicholas, Hall, Houston). However, we have major holes in key positions, including QB, OL, RB, DT and MLB. How well last year's draft picks develop, and how well we use our 10 picks in this year's draft will determine how quickly we can turn this thing around.

On the bright side, we should have a significant amount of cap space when the deadwood is cut, and with 6 picks in the first 4 rounds of this year's draft (hopefully 5 day 1 picks) we are position to make some major upgrades - assuming that we use them well. We need to be patient though, as there won't be a quick fix...it will take time for the young players to adjust to the NFL and develop.