Falcons should consider this guy for QB in free agency....

boss hogg

Daunte Culpepper

-Pick him up and sign him to a one year contract (unrestricted free agent)

-use first round top 5 pick (if we keep it) for LT (Long or Clady)

-draft a QB in the second round (Flacco, Booty, Henne, Ainge)

-cut Leftwich ($2.35M cap relief)

-cut Harrington ($2.1M cap relief)

-let Redman and Shockley compete for #3 in camp

-start the season with Culpepper while the new guy comes along during the season

If Culpepper plays well, great, you keep him in there. If not, bring the new guy in around game 6 or 7 and let him take his lumps for the rest of the season.

boss hogg (1/22/2008)
Daunte Culpepper

-start the season with Culpepper while the new guy comes along during the season

If Culpepper plays well, great, you keep him in there. If not, bring the new guy in around game 6 or 7 and let him take his lumps for the rest of the season.

No......No......No......No.......NOOOOOOO!!! That's how we fell victim with Harrington and Leftwich. Picking up a QB of that caliber will give us a repeat losing season. We need to bank on Redman and Shockley and get a new QB from the draft. (I'm sorry I cannot be partial to anyone besides MV) We are rebuilding......remember that. I'm sorry to vent like that but I see Culpepper being another Leftwich. I just see it.

Absolute (1/22/2008)
If we are going to do that we might as well:

A) Keep Redman as the starter going into the season

B) Draft his eventual replacement and

C) Allow Shockley a chance to prove he deserves a shot

that sounds about right.

Add Kenny Phillips into a picture, some high 2nd round OT, Frank Okam/Red Bryant, and you got a team!!

boss hogg (1/22/2008)
Daunte Culpepper

you know that we do not get cap relief for harrington right?? and leftwich doesnt count, because his 2nd year hasnt been activated.

culpepper lost his job. why would we demote DJ and Redman for a guy who lost his job on the raiders.

boss hogg (1/22/2008)
Daunte Culpepper

I see kind of what you are saying. Although I think Daunte is on the downslide

I kind of see what you are saying. I think Daunte is on the downslide. I would rather re-sign Redman and Draft our future QB. We have enough wash up QB on the roster.

No way. He's not worth it. Redman will perform as good as Culpepper could. Shockley is still the X Factor. This is why I say draft a 2nd round QB. Henne, Ainge and Booty are just as good as Ryan. Seriously, we're going to take a guy #3 because of his leadership and intangibles? Talk about a reach.

Get Jake Long, or maybe McFadden, or trade down and get Mendenhall or Stewart or Clady and get the QB in the 2nd round.

Guest Libid21

Culpepper is horrible. He's way past the pinnacle of his career, and signing him to become our quarterback won't help our quarterback problems in the future. We need a long term answer and neither Culpepper nor Redman is the answer. Shockley will still be considered a back up to me until further notice. I hope you guys haven't forgotten how horrible he's played in the preseason before he got injured. That does no impress me at all. I'd rather draft a quarterback than sign one through free agency.

falconfootball (1/22/2008)
bossFALCON (1/22/2008)
the falcons werent interested in him last offseason and i doubt we will be this offseason. we passed him up and a couple of weeks to a month later we got leftwich i think.

As much as I'm against getting Culpeper, he probably still would've been a better choice than Fragilewich.

yea but the upside i think the FO was looking at was that leftwich was younger and maybe he could become our "franchise qb". keep in mind that we were looking at culpepper the same time, if not the same day vick pleaded guilty so that probably played a role too.

sporkdevil (1/22/2008)
It seems like Redman has had much better games, with limited playing time, last year than Culpepper. It's not necessary at all, and there is no reason he should become the starter.

Even though, I thought we should have picked him up last year.

yea i wanted culpepper at first but i think redman really shocked the pants off of a lot of people this year. i didnt think he would be able to play that good. i remember we sent him into that carolina game when harrington got hurt and i was like oh god!

chipster10 (1/22/2008)
Jack-Tripper (1/22/2008)
I'm actually not against keeping Harrington and cutting every other QB we have.

I think I'd rather get a decent O line & start Redman over Harrington.

yea i wouldnt mind letting byron sandwich go and keep harrington, redman, and shockley. we could draft a rookie clipboard holder in the 2nd or 3rd round and let him start maybe 09 or 10, whenever he's ready. i like j.d. booty, dixon, and somebody else i cant remember. i think we may have to stay away from brennan and woodson. brennan is really small and woodson has a weird release kind of like leftwich but not as bad.

yea i wouldnt mind letting byron sandwich go and keep harrington, redman, and shockley. we could draft a rookie clipboard holder in the 2nd or 3rd round and let him start maybe 09 or 10, whenever he's ready. i like j.d. booty, dixon, and somebody else i cant remember. i think we may have to stay away from brennan and woodson. brennan is really small and woodson has a weird release kind of like leftwich but not as bad.

Agreed, I believe that we need to take care of PROTECTING the quarterbacks that we have and pick up a decent QB in the later rounds to mold into our franchise QB...

I believe Dimitroff when he says he's a "QB snob" and that there's not one good enough high in the draft. With the Pack having so much money under the cap and no pressing FA to sign, they may be willing to keep paying Rodgers to sit, and Dimitroff could turn to...Chris Simms? Not that I'm high on him, but Josh Johnson has turned some heads. DJ Shockley couldn't move up the depth chart when healthy, and unless this is the movies where a healed injury somehow gives him magic powers, he's done for. Because Talent and Team seem to be Dimitroff's specialty (not to mention we don't have a coach or staff yet), NO ONE really knows what he'll do. We may have so many needs that he'll trade down to gather more picks, or he may have a plan in place already, like drafting OL Long, QB rotation Simms, Redman/Harrington, and Josh Johnson, best second round RB. Or (most likely) I could be way off. Just an opinion.

chipster10 (1/22/2008)

Agreed, I believe that we need to take care of PROTECTING the quarterbacks that we have and pick up a decent QB in the later rounds to mold into our franchise QB...

oh yea i know. im saying take probably mcfadden at #1 because that would probably be phenomal for bringing in fans and selling tickets. we could find some lineman w/ the 2 round 2 picks and the 2 round 3 picks (not saying use all on lineman) probably get a mlb or a safety w/ one of those or maybe even a slot reciever. the only reason i said dont look at brennan is because he would get snapped like a twig because of his size (185 lbs) behind our line.