Draft Rashard Mendenhall..its the right thing to do...

Rework Dunn's contract, keep Norwood and draft Rashard Mendenhall from Illinois for NOW and for the FUTURE..

5'11" 224lbs A average 40 time of 4.48.

Mendenhall set Illinois records for rushing yards (1,681), touchdowns (19) and points (114) this fall. 05' he had a average rush of 4.5 in 06' 8.2 and 07 6.4 yards per carry.

1495047.jpeg

Nice prospect,there are some good backs this year.I dont think he is in dmacs class but a good player.

Rashard Mendenhall

RB, Illinois

Illinois football coach Ron Zook expects Mendenhall to enter the 2008 NFL Draft. Zook said Jan. 4 that he has spoken to Mendenhall and expects the player will skip his senior season at Illinois.

Mendenhall was the Big Ten's leading rusher this season with 1,681 yards. He also scored 17 touchdowns.

Mendenhall was one of the few bright spots for Illinois in its 49-17 Rose Bowl loss to USC. He ran the ball for 155 yards and scored a touchdown. Zook said he will support Mendenhall's decision.

Mendenhall has until Jan. 15 to declare for the draft.

-- Associated Press

The sporting news has him going in the early 20s of the 1st round.

Mendenhall, to me is the 2nd best RB behind Jonathan Stewart. Stewart being more of a power back. I liken Mendenhall to Brian Westbrook. Watch some video of this kid and watch him set up his blockers on screens. He is a tremendous talent and I would love to trade out of the top 10, maybe w/ Dallas, and take this kid.

BigSlick (1/22/2008)
Mendenhall, to me is the 2nd best RB behind Jonathan Stewart. Stewart being more of a power back. I liken Mendenhall to Brian Westbrook. Watch some video of this kid and watch him set up his blockers on screens. He is a tremendous talent and I would love to trade out of the top 10, maybe w/ Dallas, and take this kid.
I think he may go before then. I'll tell you what, though, Miami and the coin flips are going to be a big determining factor in this draft for Atlanta. For example, if Miami doesn't take a QB and Atlanta picks 4, someone is probably gonna try to trade up for a QB there, right before KC. Chicago is a good bet for that, because they have a good team talent wise sans a QB, and they also have an extra 3rd rounder. Atlanta could deal with the Bears, get a 2nd and a 3rd, and maybe a future 4th. bears get their QB, Atlanta gets Mendenhall at 14.

Guest Libid21

Rashard Mendenhall is a good running back. That's why he will not drop to us in the second round. I'd rather us draft a solid running back in the late second to early fourth round to take advantage of such a special class of running backs. Some people that will fall because of the number of running backs in the draft that we can get from within the rounds I mentioned are Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Tashard Choice, and Matt Forte. All are great complements to Norwood. I would like Choice more than any of them because of the value we can get from him in that late round (I see him going in the late third to mid fourth round). I can see us drafting Choice early in the third round just because of his leadership skills. I'm very impressed with that more than anything.

Drafting Mendenhall would be SICK... but if we take him, there is no need for reworking Warrick Dunn's contract or even keeping him for that matter. That may sound rather dry or cold, but Mendenhall is the RB we need Dunn to be... and Mendenhall is much younger, fresher, and runs with more power than Dunn ever did.

Don't get me wrong, I love Warrick Dunn... but his days are numbered and I think we're only keeping him on because he's been such a great overall member of the team. The importance of that shouldn't be downplayed, but it's the NFL and we need to do what's best for the football team to win games.

Arizona, Houston, and Seattle all need backs Mendenhall and Stewart will most likely be gone before the second. I wouldn't mind trading down for either of them but prefer Stewart. I have checked and it would also seem neither are "thugs" so unfortunately this board might not have the "lovely" bigoted remarks next year. **** it, I forgot about D. Hall.....I think if he remains in atlanta he'd have no problem tonin' it down fur y'all.:D

The Cush (1/22/2008)
I think he may go before then. I'll tell you what, though, Miami and the coin flips are going to be a big determining factor in this draft for Atlanta. For example, if Miami doesn't take a QB and Atlanta picks 4, someone is probably gonna try to trade up for a QB there, right before KC. Chicago is a good bet for that, because they have a good team talent wise sans a QB, and they also have an extra 3rd rounder. Atlanta could deal with the Bears, get a 2nd and a 3rd, and maybe a future 4th. bears get their QB, Atlanta gets Mendenhall at 14.

Good post. People seem set on getting Dallas' two 1st round picks (which I wouldn't argue with), but it doesn't seem realistic. Jerry Jones is no #####, he knows how to build a team.

But if we get a pick at 14, and I have to choose between Mendenhall and Stewart, I am going to take Stewart all day long. But the talent at 14 may be greater than either of these, like a Ryan Clady/ Gosder Cherilus/ Sam Baker, not mention a deep list of CBs or LBs that would also have an impact on our team.

But back to your point about Miami, and of course the coin flip, it will be very interesting to see how Parcells approaches the draft. He has said he wants Trent Green back, and they still have John Beck. Anything goes (my money is on Chris Long).

L.Rover (1/24/2008)

Good post. People seem set on getting Dallas' two 1st round picks (which I wouldn't argue with), but it doesn't seem realistic. Jerry Jones is no #####, he knows how to build a team.

A lot of this depends upon how highly he regards McFadden. If we go by the draft value chart, the two #1s Dallas has really aren't that valuable in terms of moving into the top 5. They're worth "only" the #8 overall selection at 1400 points. So, a trade with those picks plus Barber theoretically gives him the value of the #6 overall player in the draft at 1600 points. Were this the case, Dallas would be selling the idea that the value chart doesn't allow for a scenario such as this where two late first rounders and a Pro Bowl RB with very fresh legs. You say that Jones knows how to build a team, but he's also a businessman first and foremost. McFadden + Romo would sell tickets and (more importantly) merchandise long after TO is gone.

I think Dallas makes a mistake if they work this deal, but I can certainly see a justification for it. If their scouts are convinced this guy is Herschel Walker II, consider how much Minnesota once valued that player back in the day. A pair of late first rounders, a second rounder and a rotational running back would be about a quarter of what the Vikings paid. It all depends on how much Dallas wants to shake up their roster.