Now that "Mr. Spags has gone to Washington"

g-dawg

If Redskins go for Spags - they will get him - it will be done, over, fini! uggh!

Spags is my choice, he is the guy I have wanted all along........however, if Redskins go after him, they will get him. I'm fine waiting 2 weeks and getting Spags but I don't want to wait 2 weeks and "lose out" on a head coaching candidate.....again!

Of all the **** luck. There is only 1 NFL opening right now besides Falcons - and now it appears they want the same **** coach that we do.....un-freaking-believable.

I'm pizzed!

Who says he's 100% gonna go to Washington if they want him? Blank is willing to spend just as much as Snyder, and I believe he and Dimitroff go back. The bad thing is that after being with the Eagles and Giants for the past several seasons, he's gonna know the teams in that division pretty well, which could be a big incentive for him to go to Washington.

Don't freak out. Even if we don't get Spagnuolo (although I think there's a good chance we do), there are plenty of good candidates left. If a guy like Ryan, Schwartz, Frazier, etc. knows they have a chance to get a HC job, I bet they would wait to see how everything unfolds, and not just rush to find any job. Personally, there's nothing wrong with any of those guys I mentioned IMO.

BlacksburgHokie (1/22/2008)
What makes you think he even wants to go to the Redskins? I have no idea if he wants to come here or not, but there's no reason to immediately count him out just because another team is interested in him too. If nothing else, we should be encouraged that he is seen by other front offices as a potential head coach...

Well he does have a history with the Redskins so he has familiarity and maybe more comfort with that organization. Also, let's face it; we are the Falcons and they are the mighty Redskins.

The Redskins scare me too, but on a positive note, if Spags takes the Falcons' HC job, he'll be entering a much easier division to win than the powerhouse NFC East (3 of their teams made the playoffs, and the last place team was 8-8). Hopefully, this will appeal to him.

xnex (1/22/2008)
BlacksburgHokie (1/22/2008)
What makes you think he even wants to go to the Redskins? I have no idea if he wants to come here or not, but there's no reason to immediately count him out just because another team is interested in him too. If nothing else, we should be encouraged that he is seen by other front offices as a potential head coach...

Well he does have a history with the Redskins so he has familiarity and maybe more comfort with that organization. Also, let's face it; we are the Falcons and they are the mighty Redskins.

He only worked for the Redskins for one year, 1983, as an intern. The next year he moved on to Lafayette to be a DL/ST coach. If the Redskins liked him enough, they should have hired him. I wouldn't look too much into his brief stint with the Skins.

I'm a Sports Studies major, and my advisor is evidently working hard to get me an internship with the Falcons. :D

This might help lift our spirits here. I just read on espn.com that it was confirmed that Jim Fassel met with the Redskins again today for a 2nd interview. He is emerging as a serious candidate to replace Gibbs as HC. There has to be something going on here. If this was a mere smoke screen, I don't think there would have been this 2nd interview.

woodstockfan (1/22/2008)
This might help lift our spirits here. I just read on espn.com that it was confirmed that Jim Fassel met with the Redskins again today for a 2nd interview. He is emerging as a serious candidate to replace Gibbs as HC. There has to be something going on here. If this was a mere smoke screen, I don't think there would have been this 2nd interview.

hope your right.....I don't see it....Jim Fassel - yuck!

g-dawg (1/22/2008)
woodstockfan (1/22/2008)

I may have him confused w/someone else, but didn't he take the Giants to a SB before?

falconfootball (1/22/2008)
g-dawg (1/22/2008)
woodstockfan (1/22/2008)

I may have him confused w/someone else, but didn't he take the Giants to a SB before?

That's correct, he was the Giants' HC the last time they went to the Superbowl. He's still gets "yuck"s from some people due to his failed stint as the Ravens' OC.

I'm not even sure I want Spags.

I'm concerned that Spags is just the flavor of the month. The current "hot" coaching candidate.

Who was talking about Spags as a head coaching candidate prior to the end of the season? Nodoby. The fact that he has done a good job with the Giants defense is what has put him on so many people's list. Being a good coordinator does not mean you will make a good HC.

The fact that nobody recognized that Spags had the qualities of a good HC until he started excelling as a DC have me concerned. People recognized people like Andy Reid and Garrett had the qualities that make a good HC before they ever became coordinators (and Reid never was a coordinator.)

I'm concerned that Spags will be a "Peter Principle" head coach. A guy that keeps getting promoted to the next level, because he did a good job at the last level (not because he shows the qualities you look for in the next level.) Eventually, those guys keep getting promoted until they get promoted to their level of incompetence.

Does Spags show the qualities of a competent HC, or is he a competent DC that we are betting will be a competent HC only because he was a competent DC?

Brookhaven (1/22/2008)
I'm not even sure I want Spags.

I'm concerned that Spags is just the flavor of the month. The current "hot" coaching candidate.

Who was talking about Spags as a head coaching candidate prior to the end of the season? Nodoby. The fact that he has done a good job with the Giants defense is what has put him on so many people's list. Being a good coordinator does not mean you will make a good HC.

The fact that nobody recognized that Spags had the qualities of a good HC until he started excelling as a DC have me concerned. People recognized people like Andy Reid and Garrett had the qualities that make a good HC before they ever became coordinators (and Reid never was a coordinator.)

I'm concerned that Spags will be a "Peter Principle" head coach. A guy that keeps getting promoted to the next level, because he did a good job at the last level (not because he shows the qualities you look for in the next level.) Eventually, those guys keep getting promoted until they get promoted to their level of incompetence.

Does Spags show the qualities of a competent HC, or is he a competent DC that we are betting will be a competent HC only because he was a competent DC?

He was a HC prospect at the end of this season for many teams.... and I think by now we know we are not getting a former HC, so why not go after the best cooridnator prospects?????? and at this point he is up there, like him or not.....

The Redskins reportedly expect to name a new head coach within the next two days.

It's believed that Jim Fassel, who interviewed for the job (again?) early this week, was the "mystery" candidate all along. The Redskins might lose both Gregg Williams and assistant head coach/offense Al Saunders if Fassel gets the head job, but he also may be an offensive coordinator candidate.

Source: Washington Post

The Washington Post disputes a Washington Times report on the Redskins' interest in Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

The Times' report says the Redskins could speak with Spags before the Super Bowl. The Post has confirmed via sources that the 'Skins have never asked permission to speak with any Giants coaches. They would also have to wait until after the Super Bowl to interview any coaches involved in it.

Source: Washington Times

Jeremy Jones (1/22/2008)
The Washington Post disputes a Washington Times report on the Redskins' interest in Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

The Times' report says the Redskins could speak with Spags before the Super Bowl. The Post has confirmed via sources that the 'Skins have never asked permission to speak with any Giants coaches. They would also have to wait until after the Super Bowl to interview any coaches involved in it.

Jeremy,

I went to Washington Post and found no mention of Spags candidacy being disputed. I did find an article on Jim Fassel but that was it. In the article, it made no mention of Spags either way.

Jeremy Jones (1/22/2008)

You can only get a second interview I believe.So if you didnt before or got shot down no dice.

g-dawg (1/22/2008)
If Redskins go for Spags - they will get him - it will be done, over, fini! uggh!

Spags is my choice, he is the guy I have wanted all along........however, if Redskins go after him, they will get him. I'm fine waiting 2 weeks and getting Spags but I don't want to wait 2 weeks and "lose out" on a head coaching candidate.....again!

Of all the **** luck. There is only 1 NFL opening right now besides Falcons - and now it appears they want the same **** coach that we do.....un-freaking-believable.

I'm pizzed!

Some ppl will do anything to get attention to their posts....

Robert Miller (1/22/2008)
g-dawg (1/22/2008)

I'm pizzed!

Some ppl will do anything to get attention to their posts....

And to think I use to get attention by not wearing pants......What's happened?