why is the nfl downplaying the falcons and trying to forget about this franchise?

falconsstomp

during the greenbay vs giants game, they had so many moments in history about lambeau field and how brett favre was perfect in freezing temperatures in the playoffs at lambeau field and all that jibberish but as i recall not once did they bring up the year our mighty birds marched into green bay in the snow during a playoff game with mr vick under center and toasted the cheeseheads in their home stadium. Not freakin once did i hear anything about that. Why are we getting treated like the oakland raiders are a better franchise then we are??

Dude, I'm a Falcon's fan, I am a Falcon's homer, BUT, you can't say our franchise is better than Oakland's. They have 3 Superbowl titles (I couldn't remember how many, so I looked it up, not a fan of them). We have none. They have fanatical fans that support their team even when they are down and out. We have fairweather fans that sell their tickets to opposing fans. They have a better a better team, better fans, and a better franchise than us without question. Hopefully Dimitroff can right this ship and we can build into a decent franchise. But never having back to back winning seasons in over 40 years, and never winning a Superbowl, we can't say we are a better franchise than anybody else. I love my team and I pull for them every Sunday even when we suck, but I'm not delusional to the point where I think we have a great franchise.

falconsstomp (1/22/2008)
during the greenbay vs giants game, they had so many moments in history about lambeau field and how brett favre was perfect in freezing temperatures in the playoffs at lambeau field and all that jibberish but as i recall not once did they bring up the year our mighty birds marched into green bay in the snow during a playoff game with mr vick under center and toasted the cheeseheads in their home stadium. Not freakin once did i hear anything about that. Why are we getting treated like the oakland raiders are a better franchise then we are??
I only saw the last half of that game so I don't know if they mentioned it or not. I did notice on ESPN the other day when they were showing highlights of the ATL @ GB playoff game they didn't have any highlights of YKW in there. I thought that was pretty fugged up. The guy screwed up but you can't just erase what he did on the football field. Thats ESPN for you. They don't mind showing him walk in and out of the courthouse over and over though.

pzummo (1/22/2008)
Dude, I'm a Falcon's fan, I am a Falcon's homer, BUT, you can't say our franchise is better than Oakland's. They have 3 Superbowl titles (I couldn't remember how many, so I looked it up, not a fan of them). We have none. They have fanatical fans that support their team even when they are down and out. We have fairweather fans that sell their tickets to opposing fans. They have a better a better team, better fans, and a better franchise than us without question. Hopefully Dimitroff can right this ship and we can build into a decent franchise. But never having back to back winning seasons in over 40 years, and never winning a Superbowl, we can't say we are a better franchise than anybody else. I love my team and I pull for them every Sunday even when we suck, but I'm not delusional to the point where I think we have a great franchise.

i wasnt speakin of the history oakland raiders, im talkin about this day and age as in right now..

falconsstomp (1/22/2008)
United20 (1/22/2008)
They mentioned it once. I saw it.

u sure u didnt see the 98 game that went into overtime when morten kicked the field goal to win it, that was the only game i saw them bring up..

They did verbally mention it once but had no highlight of it - very brief -- I don't think it is the NFL trying to forget the Falcons, but rather not highlighting a player that was convicted of a violent crime -- they still could have showed highlights of the game with other Falcon players though

BruceReville (1/22/2008)
falconsstomp (1/22/2008)
United20 (1/22/2008)
They mentioned it once. I saw it.

u sure u didnt see the 98 game that went into overtime when morten kicked the field goal to win it, that was the only game i saw them bring up..

They did verbally mention it once but had no highlight of it - very brief -- I don't think it is the NFL trying to forget the Falcons, but rather not highlighting a player that was convicted of a violent crime -- they still could have showed highlights of the game with other Falcon players though

like falkon x said, u cant erase what the man did on the field..how many times did they show ray lewis coming out of the tunnel doin his dance before the superbowl that they played even tho he was put in the spotlight for murder..everytime something happens in the courtroom, espn is the first to air it out, but somethin on the field containin #7, naw they dont even bother with it..

like falkon x said, u cant erase what the man did on the field..how many times did they show ray lewis coming out of the tunnel doin his dance before the superbowl that they played even tho he was put in the spotlight for murder..everytime something happens in the courtroom, espn is the first to air it out, but somethin on the field containin #7, naw they dont even bother with it..

Ray Lewis was not convicted.

#7 plead guilty to a federal felony.

There's a slight difference.

The NFL just doesn't want to remind anyone that a convicted Federal Felon was it's Golden Boy at one point. Just watch any Falcons highlight package from that period and you will notice they barely mention Vick let alone focus on him like they used to.

Oh and killing someone in cold blood is not as big of a deal as killing someone's pet in this society.

Ray Lewis was convicted of Obstruction of Justice - a Non-Violent Crime - if the prosecution had a strong case for murder then they should have never accepted the plea bargin -- everyone was acquitted of all murder charges

Even though he was indicted for murder 11 days after the incident on Jan 31st - The Super Bowl was held on Jan 28th so yeah they were gonig to show Ray dancing out of the tunnel

Dr John Zoidberg (1/22/2008)

The NFL just doesn't want to remind anyone that a convicted Federal Felon was it's Golden Boy at one point. Just watch any Falcons highlight package from that period and you will notice they barely mention Vick let alone focus on him like they used to.

Oh and killing someone in cold blood is not as big of a deal as killing someone's pet in this society.

obviously...

Dr John Zoidberg (1/22/2008)

Ray Lewis WAS convicted. He signed a plea agreement and ended his trial. But his two co-defendants were found not guilty, I believe.

Yeah I can't blame the NFL for trying to keep us out of the spotlight as much as possible.

YKW brought more embarrassment to the NFL than any other player I can remember, even if the crime was not as severe as others have committed.

The league is tremendously image conscious, so their attitude is totally understandable.

We went from being one of the league's up and coming franchises to being the scourge.

The Petrino affair was the icing on the cake which made us look like we do not have a clue how to manage a franchise.

Personally I wonder if we do either. Blank used to look like and up and coming owner of prestige. But after firing the winningest coach in our history (Mora) for a college coach that even the rank and file were skeptical about, he is starting to look more and more like Snyder - a corporate guy who has no clue.

falconsstomp (1/22/2008)

Raiders? They might be bad now but they have a great history. They have won 3 super bowls and have quite a few hall of famers as well. What exactly have the Falcons ever done?

The Falcons are right with the worst franchises ever.

Ray Lewis WAS convicted. He signed a plea agreement and ended his trial. But his two co-defendants were found not guilty, I believe.

Not quite. Ray Lewis signed a pleas agreement for obstruction of justice. It was not homicide.

Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation, the maximum sentence for a first-time offender. Under the terms of the sentence, Lewis can not use drugs or alcohol during the duration of the probation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...ewis_agreement/

Tim Barnes (1/22/2008)
Yeah I can't blame the NFL for trying to keep us out of the spotlight as much as possible.

YKW brought more embarrassment to the NFL than any other player I can remember, even if the crime was not as severe as others have committed.

The league is tremendously image conscious, so their attitude is totally understandable.

We went from being one of the league's up and coming franchises to being the scourge.

The Petrino affair was the icing on the cake which made us look like we do not have a clue how to manage a franchise.

Personally I wonder if we do either. Blank used to look like and up and coming owner of prestige. But after firing the winningest coach in our history (Mora) for a college coach that even the rank and file were skeptical about, he is starting to look more and more like Snyder - a corporate guy who has no clue.

You have go to be kidding me....The only reason its "BIG" is because he was a player at the time....If OJ would have been playin it would have been 10x's worse....Than there is the entire Ricky Williams fiasco....

But lke someone said....its because YKW is the "golden boy" (or should i say was) of the NFL....

We are not on the radar screen for anything good

right now but don't panic. We deserve some contempt

until we start getting things right. We have earned it.

We need to worry about getting the coach right and

getting the draft right. If a good FA falls in our lap for

cheap we take him. If Randy Moss is available for a

4th round pick this off season we will know what to do

just for example.

The Oakland Raiders were only a couple of mistakes

away from having Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson as

their wideouts last year. Culpepper or McCown would

have had a record year. Success was nearer for them

than anyone knows. They went a different route.

The Falcons had Jerious Norwood all season and failed

to use him even though he ran for over 6 yds. per carry.

This was a losing strategy.

We don't have to be rocket scientists to get more things

right than we get wrong, sometimes just doing the obvious

is enough.

I would have to agree. The sports networks treat us like a malignant tumor. If you keep up with Rumour Central on ESPN, they barely have something about the Falcons several days late. Fassel is tied to NYG and it is reported in hours. I feel that they've been told to 'walk softly' in our area and try not to mention the past (Vick/Petrino/Parcells). To be honest, I don't care to go back to those days as well. I am putting my hope in Thomas Dimitroff and the future of the Falcons. I hope that we get the coach that fits our needs and will be here for many years. I hope that the foundation of this organization is being set on the priniciple of developing a growing and winning franchise. I hope that we develop a structure that when one person leaves, we wish him the best, because we already have a replacement in line.

But never having back to back winning seasons in over 40 years, and never winning a Superbowl, we can't say we are a better franchise than anybody else.

I think this is a trend we are definitely going to break in the next 3 years. If TB can finally return a KO for a TD, we're destined to land back to back winning seasons very soon. Stay tuned.

:)

celtik

The announcers, and most football experts are putting us aside because we are not a good team right now. I think they all saw how Blank and McKay treated our new GM like a puppet on a string at the press conference. They realize that Blank is going to meddle in the football decisions (hey, he's the owner, he can), and won't turn it over to a 'Schottenheimer' type coach. That's why so many potential coaches have said "no thanks". So the likelyhood of us turning it around any time soon isn't good. I hate it, but that's the boat we're in. We're looking at a longshot, first time head coach.

The nfl nor anyone else is giving us any respect is because we did not deserve it this year. We were the laughing stock of the entire nfl this year and deservingly so, I mean the Vick issue and the fall out as a result, then the bombshell of that IDIOT that was our coach, its easy to understand that no one is going to give the Atlanta Falcons much respect. 3 and 13 speaks very loudly and it says we sucked this year. Now this year is last year and its in the past. That is where it should be kept. We have to move forward, hire a good coach, get a quarterback, win a few games and start earning some respect again. Its gonna be a long row to hoe but we can do it . GO FALCONS!