John Clayton on Mike and Mike

Fat Matt

That has nothing to do with disorganization. Dimitroff wasn't hired until the end of that bye week, and it may be that our current FO was not looking at Spags as a possible HC, but rather Spags was Dimitroff's idea, thus we wouldn't have requested to interview him until too late.

Personally, I think that is only a good thing. My concern with Spags is that being in the playoffs (remember, they didn't have a bye week), he has probably had no time to coordinate and come up with a plan for the Falcons if and when he is offered the job. Hopefully, we give him a few days to get his ducks in order before he interviews and we don't slam him with an interview the day after the SB. I'd like to have him come to the table with an organized and concise plan on how to right this franchise, and I don't think he can do that in a day.

celtik

fat matt (1/22/2008)
Our franchise is so disorganized that they put the request in too late to talk to Spags over the bye week so now we have to wait until after the Superbowl. AT LEAST PUT THE **** REQUEST IN. WTF.

They did put the request in. The rule about Super Bowl week is that it can only be a second interview. And...

Geez, this is exhausting. Is this really our fan base?

celtiksage (1/22/2008)
That has nothing to do with disorganization. Dimitroff wasn't hired until the end of that bye week, and it may be that our current FO was not looking at Spags as a possible HC, but rather Spags was Dimitroff's idea, thus we wouldn't have requested to interview him until too late.

Personally, I think that is only a good thing. My concern with Spags is that being in the playoffs (remember, they didn't have a bye week), he has probably had no time to coordinate and come up with a plan for the Falcons if and when he is offered the job. Hopefully, we give him a few days to get his ducks in order before he interviews and we don't slam him with an interview the day after the SB. I'd like to have him come to the table with an organized and concise plan on how to right this franchise, and I don't think he can do that in a day.

celtik

Well said and agreed with.

I did not hear the interview, but this is not correct reporting on John's part. By league rules, TD cannot interview Spag this week. League rules allow for interviews for coaches during the bye week only if it is their 2nd interview. We requested and were turned down for an interview back when the playoffs first started. It appears that we did everything right in trying to interview Spag, but just couldn't get the interview. The fact that we can't interview him now has nothing to do with getting the request in on time, as there can be no request.

Spag was on the FO list of candidates from the beginning because of the request (before TD hiring); he became so even more after TD came. It is no one's fault that Spag is still unavailable, unless it is his own success. Yes it is very hard to wait. I really wanted to have a HC named by now. But, if Spag is the man to lead this team and is the right fit, I am willing to wait. I also believe TD is doing everything legally to send out feelers to try and find out if Spag is interested in the Falcon opening. There is probably a lot of activity going on behind the scenes we are not aware of. I don't see TD waiting for 2 weeks just based on wild assumptions. One good thing is Spag and TD know each other and have a history.

The Falcons requested to interview Spags over a week ago. The Giants said NO! Saying they didnt want distractions at this time.

So, now that it is a bye week, we cannot interview him since it wont be a 2nd interview.

The Falcons tried, and were denied as is the right of the Giants to do so.

So how did the Falcons screw up?

Im going to find the link that has this info so you know its not a fairy tale.

falcons4life (1/22/2008)
Well like I said. I wasn't aware of the fact that you could interview a coach for the first interview during the Superbowl bye. I do apologize

I think you meant "couldnt" but I get your drift.

Apology accepted. Not often you get someone on here asking for one let alone admitting a mistake.

cheers!

Um...yeah. Geez I can't seem to get anything right today.

People are getting too sensitive. John Clayton covers the entire NFL from Seattle. He knows less about out team than we do. I don't mind the guy, but when he talks about what is going on behind the scenes, he should stick to the Seahawks.

As stated earlier, Dimitroff was hired and independently sought to interview Spags. Spags cited his need to concentrate on his job as DC and declined to be interviewed at that time. Because we did not interview Spags earlier, we can not interview him until the SB is over.

In the meantime, Spags is on notice that the Falcons want to interview him. He has time to prepare his presentation. Expect Spags to be interviewed around Feb 5.

No big deal.

fat matt (1/22/2008)
Our franchise is so disorganized that they put the request in too late to talk to Spags over the bye week so now we have to wait until after the Superbowl. AT LEAST PUT THE **** REQUEST IN. WTF.

BS.......we had to hire a GM so he could hire a coach

the F_____ media loves beating a dead horse

personally I think AB has done the right thing so far. He went after Cowart, (sp) Parcells, P Carroll and others. He's doing everything possible to make the right hire.....yes he and McKay screwed up in the past, but he's trying to get it right this time. Who gives a flip if we have to wait 2-3 wks. The most important thing is to get it right.:D

I am amazed at how people here think that AB and company are so incompatent. This man built an empire from nothing. Have any of you done this? So many here act like he is just plain stupid. I just don't buy that so many of you know the inner workings of this franchise. The guy is doing his best to place a good product on the field and all I see here is uncalled for criticism from fans and the all knowing truthful media (that's sarcasm pea brains). Spags was not going to interview aside from the fact that the Giants did not have a bye week. Be patient people the right guy is going to be the coach here eventually. Being so negative never works for any situation.