We may not have a coach in 2 WEEKS!?!

TGeezy

OK! Our leading candidate, that Spagnoulo guy from New York, is a little busy being in the Super Bowl and Rex Ryan is interested in the job, but is not being considered as a strong candidate. The Senior Bowl is coming and we really need some to be there, like a head coach. What should we do? Should we wait two weeks to get a coach?

I will probably say this 1000 more times over the coming weeks, but here goes:

I would MUCH rather be patient and get the right person, then rush and get (again) a stop gap coach that is second rate or is not the best fit for the organization. I am confident that the Falcons organization has some idea that whoever they are waiting for (Spags, McDaniel, etc.) is at least interested, whether they can interview or not.

There is only one other head coaching vacancy at this point. It's not like guys are going to be getting hired left and right. We need the front office to be patient, do it's homework, and get the right guy in here to turn the franchise around.

Also, not having a coach for the senior bowl is not a huge deal. I am sure each team, including the Falcons, will be videotaping practices and the game, and any new coach can easily get caught up.

Be patient, and good things will come.

It doesnt matter if the Falcons wait another 6 weeks there are no good coaches out there to lead this team so either way the Falcons will get the wrong man.

This has to be the biggest crop of overrated coordinators being considered as HC that I have ever seen.

Ok, can you suggest who the team SHOULD be looking at?

falcons4life (1/22/2008)
It doesnt matter if the Falcons wait another 6 weeks there are no good coaches out there to lead this team so either way the Falcons will get the wrong man.

This has to be the biggest crop of overrated coordinators being considered as HC that I have ever seen.

Co-Signed...

TD is well versed in the draft and evaluating talent. I'm pretty confident he can do any necessary/allowable interviews at the senior bowl and get enough info/film on potential draftees. Then based on what the new HC needs when we do get him, he can make his draft decision based on that.

celtik

I think Dimitroff will get it right with the coach. I mean, what is the deal with the "sky is falling mentality" around here? The falcons have been subpar for MOST OF THE TIME THEY HAVE BEEN A FRANCHISE. I love the falcons, but save a few good years, this team has underachieved CONSISTENTLY. I think once we get a chance to get a coach and he gets his staff put together, we'll be ok. Oh yeah, we need to trade Dunn and let Norwood take over at Running back.

Thank you Stewie. It gets tiring trying to calm down this fractured and fragile fan base. Your words are wise and should be pasted to every thread for the next two weeks.

Some coaches elect not to attend the Senior Bowl week because the scene turns into a huge job fair. Out of work coaches and coaches looking for transfers decend on Mobile and make like miserable for HC's.

Dimitroff and his crew are down there.....and that is enough.

I heard this am on Mike & Mike, John Clayton said we were going to wait but we really botched this. Everyone thought the Giants didn't give permission, but Clayton states the Falcons didn't get there request in on time, otherwise the could have the second interview.Did say if Redskins don't hire Williams in the next day or so they will go after Spags. Mike & Mike then said if you were Spags were would you go Atl or Wash.

falcons4life (1/22/2008)

No I cant because there is NOONE out there who deserves a shot. That's why I worded my post the way I did.

It's full of 1-2 year OC/DCs or college coaches. It's pathetic and spells nothing but disaster for this team. Zimmer would have been a safer choice.

No I cant because there is NOONE out there who deserves a shot. That's why I worded my post the way I did.

It's full of 1-2 year OC/DCs or college coaches. It's pathetic and spells nothing but disaster for this team. Zimmer would have been a safer choice.

Well, I have to agree that it really isnt a bumper crop of coaching talent out there this year but I do disagree with the disaster theory.

Its not like were looking at Jerry Glanville or **** MacPherson.

Hopefully the new coach will prove you wrong and you can get excited about the teams future. :)

Twinblade (1/22/2008)
The more you wait, the less candidates are available so either way we will not get the best candidate if we keep on waiting.

The problem that I have with this theory is that, at least in my opinion, the two best candidates are coaching in the Super Bowl (Spags and McDaniel). Therefore, if we hire now, we are risking not getting the best available people in here to see how they would fit.

Obviously, if you feel that Ryan, Singletary, Schwartz, or any of the other candidates are better, then hire now. Personally, I like waiting for those who are unavailable to interview until after the Super Bowl.