Airplane on a conveyor belt

crumptastic

tipp78 (1/21/2008)
Can you please explain the myth? I've never heard of it.

The myth is that if you put an airplane on a conveyor belt that went backwards at the same speed as the plane was going forward, the plane would not be able to take off.

The truth is that a plane does not use its wheels pushing against the ground for forward thrust, it uses its engines pushing against air. So the conveyor belt rolling underneath its wheels would mean nothing. The ONLY thing that could happen would be the wheels rolling faster than normal as the engines pushed the plane down the conveyor belt runway.

alfred e. neuman (1/21/2008)
tipp78 (1/21/2008)

The myth is that if you put an airplane on a conveyor belt that went backwards at the same speed as the plane was going forward, the plane would not be able to take off.

The truth is that a plane does not use its wheels pushing against the ground for forward thrust, it uses its engines pushing against air. So the conveyor belt rolling underneath its wheels would mean nothing. The ONLY thing that could happen would be the wheels rolling faster than normal as the engines pushed the plane down the conveyor belt runway.

My predictions for this episode:

1) They bust the myth and cause an uproar on the website as fans point out that they failed to use wing designs from an obscure 1942 experiment supporting the myth.

2) Adam makes fun of the way Jamie talks.

3) Jamie notes that "we have a large plastic object attempting to become airborne" and asks everyone to "keep a safe distance from the movement hazard situation".

4) They end the show by blowing up the toy model plane with 80 pounds of C4 explosives.

tipp78 (1/21/2008)

Ahh thank you good sir, should be intresting to watch.

Ramen (1/22/2008)
tipp78 (1/21/2008)

1) They bust the myth and cause an uproar on the website as fans point out that they failed to use wing designs from an obscure 1942 experiment supporting the myth.

3) Jamie notes that "we have a large plastic object attempting to become airborne" and asks everyone to "keep a safe distance from the movement hazard situation".

4) They end the show by blowing up the toy model plane with 80 pounds of C4 explosives.

thanks for ruining the show ;)

lax32 (1/22/2008)
prolikewhoa (1/21/2008)
HAHA! I remember that thread!

Now if they can solve my car driving onto a moving flatbed theory.

Didn't they already do that one?

Yea they did....sorta

What they did was the dark night myth where the car used to drive its self into the back of the moving repair truck....It is possible without crashing in to the front of the truck too which is pretty cool

farbinkle (1/22/2008)
Ramen (1/22/2008)

thanks for ruining the show ;)

At least I didn't reveal that they giggled incessantly after blowing up the toy plane. ;)

laxin-it (1/22/2008)
lax32 (1/22/2008)
prolikewhoa (1/21/2008)

Yea they did....sorta

What they did was the dark night myth where the car used to drive its self into the back of the moving repair truck....It is possible without crashing in to the front of the truck too which is pretty cool

That's what I was wondering. If you drove up wouldn't you have to slam on the brakes real hard once you got onto the bed?

I've only seen MythBusters once or twice.

prolikewhoa (1/22/2008)
laxin-it (1/22/2008)
lax32 (1/22/2008)
prolikewhoa (1/21/2008)

Yea they did....sorta

That's what I was wondering. If you drove up wouldn't you have to slam on the brakes real hard once you got onto the bed?

I've only seen MythBusters once or twice.

Nope....they explained it on there pretty well but it has something to do with the momentum of both cars....the car has to go faster (obv) but when it hits the ramp it begins to slow down so that it doesnt go flyin into the back of the truck

<<<<<this is the episode

Ramen (1/22/2008)
tipp78 (1/21/2008)

You left out the part about that hyper little red head bouncing about, driving me insane......

Did I just say that out loud?

Shiney_McShine (1/22/2008)
Ramen (1/22/2008)
tipp78 (1/21/2008)

You left out the part about that hyper little red head bouncing about, driving me insane......

Yes and she is the reason I watch the show.

farbinkle (1/22/2008)
alfred e. neuman The myth is that if you put an airplane on a conveyor belt that went backwards at the same speed as the plane was going forward, the plane would not be able to take off.

What's your take on the subject, since you worked for an aircraft manufacturer.

Ramen (1/22/2008)
ty down (1/22/2008)

Yes and she is the reason I watch the show.

I think he was talking about Adam. ;)

Oh the other red head!:kiss::w00t:

To save you all the suspense...

A plane needs wind (lift) under its wings to take off, the speed of its tires on a runway or conveyor belt have nothing to do with it taking off. Hence, a plane on a conveyor belt with tires rotating at full speed, yet in a stationary position, will never get off the ground.

Unless of course, it's one of those new jet fighters that are capable of hovering.

LawDawg (1/23/2008)

A plane needs wind (lift) under its wings to take off, the speed of its tires on a runway or conveyor belt have nothing to do with it taking off. Hence, a plane on a conveyor belt with tires rotating at full speed, yet in a stationary position, will never get off the ground.

Unless of course, it's one of those new jet fighters that are capable of hovering.

It wouldn't be stationary, though, because the thrust comes from jet engines on the wings and not from the wheels. So when it would take off just like it normally would, but the wheels would be spinning faster at the point of take-off.

raptorial bird (1/23/2008)
LawDawg (1/23/2008)

It wouldn't be stationary, though, because the thrust comes from jet engines on the wings and not from the wheels. So when it would take off just like it normally would, but the wheels would be spinning faster at the point of take-off.

Of course... but the point of the experiment would be to see if the plane takes off with engines running in a stationary position so the conveyor belt would have to theoretically be going at the same speed in the opposite direction as the thrust is propelling the plane forward.

I don't know what type of plane they plan on using, but the same experiment could be done on a Cessna, where conveyor speed shouldn't be too much of a problem.

LawDawg (1/23/2008)

And that's where the debate comes in...Lift, in its relation to flight, is a mechanical force that is generated over by air flowing OVER the wings of an AC. When an AC is moving down a runway, it's movement is pushing into the wind, and generating lift. The theory of the conveyor belt is sound, because LIFT shouldn't be impacted if the AC is technically stationary or not, because the air should still be fluid and moving over the wing...at least according to the theory. Either the Wings have to push into the wind, or the wind has to push against the wings. One of the two has to be moving, but nothing says that BOTH have to be in movement...personally, I'm looking forward to the episode. I doubt that it will conclusively answer the question one way or the other, because there are other variables that have to be taken into consideration...but it should make for an interesting show...and yes, I hope they blow something up before it's over...:P

Ton80Kid (1/23/2008)
LawDawg (1/23/2008)

And that's where the debate comes in...Lift, in its relation to flight, is a mechanical force that is generated over by air flowing OVER the wings of an AC. When an AC is moving down a runway, it's movement is pushing into the wind, and generating lift. The theory of the conveyor belt is sound, because LIFT shouldn't be impacted if the AC is technically stationary or not, because the air should still be fluid and moving over the wing...at least according to the theory. Either the Wings have to push into the wind, or the wind has to push against the wings. One of the two has to be moving, but nothing says that BOTH have to be in movement...personally, I'm looking forward to the episode. I doubt that it will conclusively answer the question one way or the other, because there are other variables that have to be taken into consideration...but it should make for an interesting show...and yes, I hope they blow something up before it's over...:P

It should be interesting... Based on my own experiment I don't see how it will work. When I'm running on a treadmill I don't feel any wind ;)