UGA names new Tight Ends Coach.. Huge Hire!! Richt gets his man.

SacFalcFan

Florida State's John Lilly has been hired as Georgia's new tight ends coach, multiple sources independently confirmed to UGAsports Monday.

Sources in Athens and Tallahassee confirmed the move.

Lilly replaces David Johnson, who resigned last week to become the offensive line coach at West Virginia University, his alma mater.

Lilly just wrapped up his 13th year with the Seminoles, which included the 2006 campaign when his tight ends caught 38 passes, the most receptions for a group of Seminoles since 1990 and the second-most receptions in Florida State history by the tight end position.

His work as a top-flight recruiter has not gone unnoticed, either.

Four of Florida State's last six recruiting classes have been ranked in the top four in the nation under Lilly, including the 2001 class which was a near unanimous choice as the nation's top class.

The announcement of Lilly should all but ensure that highly touted tight end prospect Dwayne Allen from Fayetteville, N.C. will sign with the Bulldogs on Feb. 6, National Signing Day.

Lilly had been trying to recruit the Rivals.com 4-star performer to come to Tallahassee and the have become close.

Lilly was named one of the nation's top 25 recruiters by Rivals.com in 2007.

Lilly Bio from Seminoles.com

LILLY'S QUICK FACTS

Years as a Collegiate Coach: 12

Born: Beckley, WV

Coaching Stops:

1991-94 -- Northwest Guilford High School (Greensboro, NC) -- (assistant coach)

1995 -- Florida State (videographer)

1996-97 -- Florida State (graduate assistant)

1998- -- Florida State (recruiting coordinator/tight ends)

" John Lilly is in his 13th season on the FSU staff and is coming off the two best seasons of his career as far as tight end production is concerned

" Won a National Championships in 1999 as the Seminoles' Tight End's Coach

" In 2006, Lilly's tight ends had 38 catches, the most receptions as a group since 1990 and the second most

" receptions in Seminole history by the tight end position

" For the first time since 1990 and 1991, FSU tight ends registered back-to-back seasons in 2005 and 2006 with 30 or more catches under Lilly's guidance

" In 2006, Lilly coached the first tight end in school history to receive freshman All-America honors and only the third tight end ever at FSU to receive any All-American recognition

" Last year Lilly coached the second most productive tight end in school history as far as catches and yards in a single season at Florida State

" Four of FSU's last six recruiting classes have been ranked in the top four in the nation under Lilly

" Lilly's 2001 recruiting class was a near unanimous choice as the nation's top class

" In 2005 the Seminoles once again had a recruiting class that was ranked No. 1 in the nation in some polls

" Lilly has been on the FSU staff for 12 years joining the Seminoles as a videographer in 1995

" The Guilford graduate played quarterback, wide receiver and special teams for the Quakers

" Winner of the Golden Helmet Award as the ideal Guilford College football player as a senior

" Was also a team captain

" Dean's List all four years at Guilford College

This hire solidifies Dwayne Allen as a Dawg.. 

One prospect on the UGA commitment list that fans worry about losing is four-star tight end Dwayne Allen. Allen has said numerous times that John Lilly is his favorite recruiting coach and Lilly looks to be leaving Florida State and heading for Athens.

Allen visited FSU a week ago, he visited UNC this past weekend and has two more visits set before signing day. What does Allen think about his commitment now?

"I had talked to Coach [Mark] Richt about their coaching situation and he mentioned Coach [John] Lilly as a possibility," said a somewhat surprised Allen. "I did not know it was released or official yet though."

Coach David Johnson left Georgia last week to become the offensive line coach at his alma mater West Virginia and he was the coach recruiting Allen for the Dawgs.

A school right on the tail of Georgia for the highly thought of tight end was FSU and Coach Lilly had developed an excellent relationship with the soft Georgia commitment. Many thought if any school could snatch Allen away from UGA, then it was FSU because of his bond with Lilly.

Now that Lilly is heading for Athens, does this mean anything for Georgia or Florida State?

"This pretty much means I am not going to Florida State," said a tired Allen fresh off a visit to Chapel Hill.

"It helps Georgia a lot, a whole lot. I like Coach Lilly a lot and I think he is great. It will be really hard for me to be torn away from there."

Allen requested to be called back later because of his late return from his UNC visit Sunday night, but he said he was "still committed" to Georgia and he would have more to say later.

As of right now, visits to Clemson and Virginia Tech are still set to take place over the next two weekends, but this hiring puts Georgia in better shape than they were in.

Huge hire for the Dawgs!

But I can't help but wonder what really enticed him to come to Georgia after being at Florida State for so long? I'm sure Rodney Garner will still be the recruiting coordinator for us and I'm not sure what title Lilly will have on Georgia's recruiting staff.

LawDawg (1/21/2008)
Huge hire for the Dawgs!

But I can't help but wonder what really enticed him to come to Georgia after being at Florida State for so long? I'm sure Rodney Garner will still be the recruiting coordinator for us and I'm not sure what title Lilly will have on Georgia's recruiting staff.

He will just recruit. He is one of the best.

Statick (1/21/2008)
This is good news. **** good news!

Great news for Allen. I live here in Fayetteville. I'd would have found his house and read him the riot act if he reneged on UGA.:P

The latest update from the north carolina rival site about allen's visit to unc was basically "it was a nice visit" and ended with him saying how big it was for uga that they hired lilly.. LOL :)

SacFalcFan (1/22/2008)
doogiehouser (1/22/2008)
That is a huge hire! I guess it was CMR's experience with him when he was at Florida State that made him want to come here. That's also even better that Allen is pretty much a lock now!

they are very close friends.. Lilly was the best man at richt's wedding.

Wow, I didn't even know about that! I guess it was pretty easy then for Lilly to come to UGA.:)

freakyfalcon (1/22/2008)
Yep this will definitely open up huge doors for the Dawgs down in Florida. **** Richt may have kicked the doors open with this hire. Man I love it. We need to sign Richt to a lifetime contract right now.

I have a good friend who is an insider regarding fsu recruiting. He knows a lot and tells me enough.. LOL He was kept saying there is no way from what he heard they would risk losing him, but lilly just wanted to change and richt had tried 2x before hiring lilly, but it didn't work out. Lilly wanted to no longer because recruiting coordinator. The one thing my friend told me was UGA fans need to understand what this does for them in Florida. Lilly is a top 5 recruiter according to rivals for a reason. He has so many contacts in that area that it's going to really help richt who himself and willie have their contacts. I am going to love this. Just like nick williams said: UGA is on a roll right now and it's going to get even better.

That's just insane....We already own the state of Ga....we're strong in the Carolinas......we've got a little pull in Bama, Missouri, New Jersey......and now we look to be opening up a pipeline into the heart of the orange state.....this seems to pretty much guarantee top 5-10 classes for the foreseeable future.

SacFalcFan (1/22/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/22/2008)
Yep this will definitely open up huge doors for the Dawgs down in Florida. **** Richt may have kicked the doors open with this hire. Man I love it. We need to sign Richt to a lifetime contract right now.

I have a good friend who is an insider regarding fsu recruiting. He knows a lot and tells me enough.. LOL He was kept saying there is no way from what he heard they would risk losing him, but lilly just wanted to change and richt had tried 2x before hiring lilly, but it didn't work out. Lilly wanted to no longer because recruiting coordinator. The one thing my friend told me was UGA fans need to understand what this does for them in Florida. Lilly is a top 5 recruiter according to rivals for a reason. He has so many contacts in that area that it's going to really help richt who himself and willie have their contacts. I am going to love this. Just like nick williams said: UGA is on a roll right now and it's going to get even better.

I wonder what the past 2 years has done for Lilly at fsu, almost seems Bobby might not be cutting it anymore ( not that he has not been good ), I just wonder.