Need advice on rental property investments

Krazy Kaptain

Last year I bought a duplex near my hometown AirForce base as an investment, and I am considering putting down new flooring.

Rigt now, both sides have very cheap, but still in decent condition, carpetting in the living room/bedrooms and plain 12" square tyles (the type you often see in schools or Hospitals) in the kitchen/bathrooms.

Both sides have pets, and I will most likely continue to allow pets with a non-refundable deposit. But I would like to have a flooring that I will not have to replace after every tennant with pets.

I would like to have the entire unit floored in the same material, with something that is very durable, and can handle military families moving in/out every few years.

Anyone got any experience in this that can give me some advice???

Goodoleboy58 (1/21/2008)
I just replaced our carpet and it cost about 2000 bucks for 1100 square feet townhouse... id recommend getting a security deposit incase they do trash whatever flooring you decide on... hardwood would probably last the longest

My units are right at 1100sq ft as well. 2 bedrooms 2 baths, kitchen, and living room with dining area.

The units were rented when I bought them (it was a bank forclosure that I bought at an auction) and still leased until April of this year. So far neither tennants ( both are Air Force) have said anything about wanting to renew the lease or not and I have not asked yet. I recieved the security deposits and non-refundable pet deposits at closing. I will definately keep a security deposit and most likely keep allowing pets with an additiaonal non-refundable deposit.

The floors are in decent shape right now, but with both sides haveing pets, I know I will have to replace the carpets. And with military renters moving every 2-3 years, I don't want to have to replace carpet each time, unless it is a lot cheaper than the other options...

Mr Smithers (1/21/2008)
I would go with a floating laminate floor. I have cats that run on this stuff all the time with no scratches. The only problem with it is that it can no be wet for an extended period of time.

http://www.ifloor.com/articles/lam/basics.html

or

http://www.ifloor.com/articles/index.html

So I guess a bathroom would be a bad choice for laminate??? How about pet urine? Will that ruin laminate??

snake (1/21/2008)
Krazy Kaptain (1/21/2008)
What is "pergo"??
Pergo is a lamenated floor, its all the same stuff basicly. Its all Faux wood, and you can even put it in the baths. You can also get a couple of crates of Porcelin or tile cheap for your baths, and its running around the same price as the pergo/laminate.

I'm building a home gym now and I wonder if this would be good for the floor in it, with gym mats placed on top of it.

Pergo would work for common areas, I would hesitate to do anything in wet areas, ala bathrooms, even if it has sealed underlayment. Wood products, even faux absorb moisture. for bedrooms and common areas, I would go with a pergo type product. I would put linoleum floor in the bath and kitchen, chep and easy ( cheaply replaced if damaged). If you have any pet probelms ( cat pee) before putting down the flooring, use some KILLZ to seal out the funk the put your flooring down.

DOn't invest too much money in a rental unit. but also don't be a slum lord.

check the carpet and shampoo it if necessary, even dying might be an option if it has stains. DOn't replace until you have to.

Kaptain I know you work close to military bases and I don't think your property is probably much different then mine... out of my 1100 square feet you have to subtract the kitchen and 2 bathrooms and a closet and the rest got carpeted for around 2k bucks... just to give you a frame of reference... i just recently got this done (2 weeks back) and it's better then the stock carpet that we moved in to... so if you decide to go with carpet just count on 2k bucks as being your price to re-install carpet if the tenants moving out ruin it... (which can be accomplished if you get 2 months rent in advance from them and then 2 months in advance from the newest renters)

Like Triggerman said, linolium at the entrances, bathrooms and kitchen. Bedrooms, cheap carpet with good padding underneath. Treat the carpet with stain guard if you have to! Invest in a good, industrial steam cleaner!!! If you can get a good used dry chemical carpet cleaner, you're in business. Stay away from the laminate and the hardwood for rentals! Oh, and I don't allow pets in my rentals either, dog and cat ##### will be the least of your worries!