Two front runners and a dark horse.

etherdome

I have no insider info, so this is strictly my opinion. I think the coaching race is at the last turn. There are two candidates that the media has cast light on and one guy that is lurking in the shadows:

1 Leslie Frazier: He is the front runner. A Dungy-like coach with plenty of experience. He drastically improved the Vikings' D in only one season. I don't know his defensive philosophy but he has experience in the Tampa-2 and the Johnson Rush D's.

I put him at the top of the list because he has HC experience as well as several years of DC experience in the NFL. My guess is that Dimitroff is calling Dungy, Johnson, Parcells and a few other NFL people to get their impressions of Frazier. He could be named our next HC in the near future.

2 Steve Spagnuolo: This little guy has done a phenomenal job with the Giants. The team seemed to be falling apart. Veterans, like Strahan, were complaining and it did not look good. Spags came aboard and things changed drastically. The defense went from average to elite.

There is little doubt that Spagnuolo has the football knowledge and the leadership skills to be a HC. Whether he is capable of performing the HC job as well as running the defense is another matter. Spags is definitely a hands-on guy. That creates a run-through-walls attitude with his players, but also takes up valuable time.

A HC has to be organized and must delegate duties in order to pay attention to the entire operation. The number of details involved in running a team is staggering. I don't know whether Spags is ready to do that. He loves what he does right now and is very good at it. In my opinion, Spagnuolo will decide to stay with the Giants for at least one more season.

3 Mike Smith: This is our dark horse. There has been virtually no media attention given to him. Del Rio gets all the credit. Smith has been content to stay in the background and run one of the best defenses in the league. This guy can coach. And, he does it at a very high level.

Mike Smith's candidacy as our next HC depends heavily on how well he did in the interview. Dimitroff is looking for a guy that he can work with for the next five years. Personality plays the biggest factor here. In terms of football knowledge and experience, Smith is a strong candidate. The question is: does Dimitroff like the guy?

1989fan (1/21/2008)
I agree on the candidates, but Frazier didnt "make" the Vikings D. Mike Tomlin made big strides with that D, and is the one who installed the Tampa 2 there.

Tomlin did have an impact on the team, but the D looked better under Frazier. I don't follow the Vikes closely, so I may be missing some important factors, like injuries. The fact remains that Frazier is a capable football coach.

I forgot to mention that both Spags and Dimitroff are New England guys. That may or may not have a role in the selection process.

Bgarcia,

Another good post. One thing I wanted to ask and I believe you addressed it in another post, is Spags really seeking a HC position next year? If not, is there any way TD can get around the league rule preventing him from interviewing Spags the next 2 weeks to find this out, i.e. talking with his agent. Otherwise, we may be waiting 2 weeks for nothing. He may not even think he is ready to be HC yet. Thx bgarcia.

& Leslie Frazier: He is the front runner. A Dungy-like coach with plenty of experience. He drastically improved the Vikings' D in only one season& .

??? Vikings were actually #8 in total defense in 2006 and #20 in 2007, but Dungy and Frazier are indeed both highly respectable men.

woodstockfan (1/21/2008)
Bgarcia,

Another good post. One thing I wanted to ask and I believe you addressed it in another post, is Spags really seeking a HC position next year? If not, is there any way TD can get around the league rule preventing him from interviewing Spags the next 2 weeks to find this out, i.e. talking with his agent. Otherwise, we may be waiting 2 weeks for nothing. He may not even think he is ready to be HC yet. Thx bgarcia.

Thank you and I believe that you bring up the most important point. Spags waited a long time to get the promotion to DC. He wanted it badly for several years. The question is: does he really want to make the next jump so quickly?

The only way for Dimitroff to get that answer is to ask Spags' agent. His agent will advise Spags to say yes, but Dimitroff will need to get to the heart of the matter. I think that Spags is a straight shooter. He will let TD know whether he is truly ready to become a HC.

The Falcons can ask the Giants for permission to conduct an informal interview with Spags. In order to keep the media circus away from the interview, it would be conducted via internet or by a representative of Dimitroff.

There are ways of getting around the league rules to judge a candidate's interest. I am sure that TD is on it as we speak.

My gut tells me that Leslie Frazier impressed TD and is being pursued. It might be down to financial negotiations by now. While I have been on the Spagnuolo band wagon for weeks, I admit that he may not be the ideal fit for our next HC......an amazing DC for sure, but maybe not yet ready to be a HC.

Draftnut57 (1/21/2008)
Good post , but to say Spags would reject the HC job here to stay another year with the Giants to me is a far fetched statement. He would never do that IMO. If he is offered the job he would take it in a Heartbeat unless he is offered a HC job with another team he has rather take .

You are probably right, but Spags may be in a similar situation as Garrett.....a gifted Coordinator that knows, in his heart, that he needs more time to grow into the HC position. Spags is loved in the NYC area and would be the strongest candidate to follow Coughlin as HC.

bgarcia28 (1/21/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/21/2008)
Good post , but to say Spags would reject the HC job here to stay another year with the Giants to me is a far fetched statement. He would never do that IMO. If he is offered the job he would take it in a Heartbeat unless he is offered a HC job with another team he has rather take .

You are probably right, but Spags may be in a similar situation as Garrett.....a gifted Coordinator that knows, in his heart, that he needs more time to grow into the HC position. Spags is loved in the NYC area and would be the strongest candidate to follow Coughlin as HC.

While I want to agree w/draftnut on this, I'm thinking the same thing as you bgarcia. Plus, you never know. There could be some "grooming" going on in NY as well. I know they can't come out and say Garrett is going to get the HC job at Dallas, nor could they say it in NY. But it's a possibility, w/Coughlin getting up there and possibly thinking of retiring himself (not saying he is, but he could be) Spagnuolo may think he could inherit that job at some point. Much as I want that guy, when they won yesterday, I just felt like it put him even further out of our reach.

it is a "rare" situation for a NFL coordinator to "turn down" a head coaching opportunity. It may not seem rare since we had it happen twice this off-season (Garrett and ostensibly Caldwell-assuming he would have gotten offered).

Spags has worked hard at realizing his dream - most of us have read about the inspiring life that is Steve Spagnuolo. If given a chance to be the Falcons Head Coach, Spags will seize the opportunity.

If being a head coach is your "dream" - you cannot assume you will get an opportunity every year to get one of those jobs - ask Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera, Mike Singletary, etc.

Carpe' Diem!

bgarcia28 (1/21/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/21/2008)

DOH! D*mn you type fast!! :P

bgarcia28 (1/21/2008)
I have no insider info, so this is strictly my opinion. I think the coaching race is at the last turn. There are two candidates that the media has cast light on and one guy that is lurking in the shadows:

1 Leslie Frazier: He is the front runner. A Dungy-like coach with plenty of experience. He drastically improved the Vikings' D in only one season. I don't know his defensive philosophy but he has experience in the Tampa-2 and the Johnson Rush D's.

I put him at the top of the list because he has HC experience as well as several years of DC experience in the NFL. My guess is that Dimitroff is calling Dungy, Johnson, Parcells and a few other NFL people to get their impressions of Frazier. He could be named our next HC in the near future.

2 Steve Spagnuolo: This little guy has done a phenomenal job with the Giants. The team seemed to be falling apart. Veterans, like Strahan, were complaining and it did not look good. Spags came aboard and things changed drastically. The defense went from average to elite.

There is little doubt that Spagnuolo has the football knowledge and the leadership skills to be a HC. Whether he is capable of performing the HC job as well as running the defense is another matter. Spags is definitely a hands-on guy. That creates a run-through-walls attitude with his players, but also takes up valuable time.

A HC has to be organized and must delegate duties in order to pay attention to the entire operation. The number of details involved in running a team is staggering. I don't know whether Spags is ready to do that. He loves what he does right now and is very good at it. In my opinion, Spagnuolo will decide to stay with the Giants for at least one more season.

3 Mike Smith: This is our dark horse. There has been virtually no media attention given to him. Del Rio gets all the credit. Smith has been content to stay in the background and run one of the best defenses in the league. This guy can coach. And, he does it at a very high level.

Mike Smith's candidacy as our next HC depends heavily on how well he did in the interview. Dimitroff is looking for a guy that he can work with for the next five years. Personality plays the biggest factor here. In terms of football knowledge and experience, Smith is a strong candidate. The question is: does Dimitroff like the guy?

Brian,

why do you say that Frazier is front-runner? obviously he's "in the mix" and the fact that he is the only "original" candidate that TD interviewed bodes well for the guy - but its obvious to me that TD is holding out for someone(i.e. Spags).

I guess I'm splittin' hairs here - i would put Spags ahead of Frazier at this point......we shall see:)

bgarcia28 (1/21/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/21/2008)

Let me tell you the big difference in him and Garrett in Dallas , Do you really think they'll offer Spags 3 million to stay as DC??? I doubt it very much .

Draftnut57 (1/21/2008)
bgarcia28 (1/21/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/21/2008)

Let me tell you the big difference in him and Garrett in Dallas , Do you really think they'll offer Spags 3 million to stay as DC??? I doubt it very much .

You're probably right about that, but will Arthur offer him that much? And besides, will it be all about the $? He doesn't strike me as that kinda guy, but you never know...

You're probably right about that, but will Arthur offer him that much? And besides, will it be all about the $? He doesn't strike me as that kinda guy, but you never know...

It's hard for me to imagine Blank going all cheap now after he gave Petrino 5 mil a year with no buyout.

BGARCIA,

Spags may not be ready for HC yet, but do you think we are ready to compete? Why couldn't we get him in here and do a coach-and-learn? This team will not be ready to compete at the upper level for at least three years. With this newest advent of 'coach-in-waiting', ala Garrett, Caldwell and Mora, it will become increasingly hard to find a talented individual unless you grow your own. I feel we are fighting a multi-headed monster because the rich are just getting richer.

Guys, understand what I am doing in this thread. I am not stating a case for my preferred HC. I am trying to handicap the probabilities of each candidate. At this time, I think that Frazier has the lead. Spags has not interviewed, so he is at a disadvantage.

Maybe Spags is interested, maybe he is not. Dimitroff has to find out now. He has to do it via Spags' agent. That is all that I am saying.

To be honest, I have liked Spags for several weeks. He has been on my personal radar since Petrino quit. The only reason I knew about Spags was from the glowing remarks from friends that are Giant fans.

(1/21/2008)
BGARCIA,

Spags may not be ready for HC yet, but do you think we are ready to compete? Why couldn't we get him in here and do a coach-and-learn? This team will not be ready to compete at the upper level for at least three years. With this newest advent of 'coach-in-waiting', ala Garrett, Caldwell and Mora, it will become increasingly hard to find a talented individual unless you grow your own. I feel we are fighting a multi-headed monster because the rich are just getting richer.

per Pasquerelli (from his sources), i just posted on different thread - Spags is not only the "leading" candidate but he is "the guy" that the Falcons have tabbed to be Falcons head coach - we shall see