One has to assume... THIS guy is on Dimitroff's radar, as well

gillbride.jpg

Kevin Gilbride

Kevin Gilbride is in his first full season as the Giants offensive coordinator after serving the previous three years as the team s quarterbacks coach. Gilbride assumed play-calling duties from former coordinator John Hufnagel prior to the regular season finale in Washington. The Giants scored 34 points their second-highest total of the season and gained 355 yards (261 on the ground) in a victory over the Redskins that virtually clinched a playoff berth. Gilbride again called the plays the following week in a 23-20 loss to Philadelphia in an NFC Wild Card Game.

When Gilbride was hired as the quarterbacks coach on Jan. 26, 2004, he was reunited with Tom Coughlin, for whom he worked as the Jacksonville Jaguars first offensive coordinator in 1995 and 96. Gilbride has also coordinated offenses for the Houston Oilers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills. The 2006 season is Gilbride s 33rd in coaching and 18th in the National Football League.

As quarterbacks coach, Gilbride was at the forefront of the development of Eli Manning, the No. 1 selection in the 2004 NFL Draft. Under Gilbride s guidance, Manning posted impressive numbers the previous two seasons. In 2005, his first full season as a starter, Manning threw 557 passes, the third-highest total in the league and the second-highest total in team history. Kerry Collins threw 568 passes in 2001. Manning s 294 completions tied for ninth in the NFL and placed him fourth on the Giants career list (behind Collins in 2002, 2001 and 2000). His 3,762 yards were fifth in the NFL and fifth on the franchise s single-season list. Manning threw 24 touchdown passes, the most by a Giant since Fran Tarkenton had 29 in 1967.

Last season, Manning threw 522 passes, the sixth-highest total in Giants history. He completed 301 of those throws to become just the second quarterback in franchise history to top 300 completions in a season. Collins did it three times: 335 in 2002, 327 in 2001 and 311 in 2000.

Manning threw 24 touchdown passes, matching his 2005 total and leaving him tied for fourth in the NFL with St. Louis Pro Bowler Marc Bulger. Manning is the first Giants quarterback to throw at least 20 touchdown passes in consecutive seasons since Phil Simms did it three years in a row from 1984-86.

Manning s development under Gilbride became evident in the latter part of the quarterback s rookie season in 2004. In the last three games of the year, Manning completed 53 of 87 passes (61 percent) for 527 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions. In the season-ending victory over Dallas, Manning threw three touchdown passes and led a 66-yard drive in the final two minutes for the winning score.

Prior to joining the Giants, Gilbride spent two seasons as the Bills offensive coordinator. In his first season in Buffalo, the Bills set seven offensive team records, including most net passing yards (3,995). Quarterback Drew Bledsoe set 10 team records. That year, Buffalo had the fifth-best passing offense in the NFL and was 11th overall while averaging 23.7 points, 22.2 first downs, and 349.4 yards per game. That offense featured the franchise s first 4,000-yard passer in Bledsoe, two 1,200-yard receivers (Eric Moulds and Peerless Price) and a 1,400-yard rusher (Travis Henry).

Gilbride entered the NFL as the quarterbacks coach of the Houston Oilers in 1989. He was promoted to offensive coordinator from 1990-93 and then to assistant head coach/offense in 1994. The Oilers ranked first in the NFL in passing yards in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993. Houston also ranked first in the league in total offense in 1990, second in 1991, third in 1992 and second in 1993.

Gilbride s first stint with Coughlin began in 1995, when Gilbride took over as the offensive coordinator of the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars. The following year, the Jaguars led the NFL with 259.7 passing yards per game and were second in total offense with 360.2 yards per contest, a performance that helped Jacksonville to the AFC Championship Game in just its second year of existence.

After two years in Jacksonville, Gilbride was named the 10th head coach in San Diego Chargers history on Jan. 19, 1997 and posted a 6-16 record over the course of the 1997-98 seasons. He spent the 1999 and 2000 seasons as offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2001, Gilbride was an analyst with ESPN.

Prior to joining the NFL, Gilbride spent two seasons (1985-86) in the Canadian Football League as an assistant with the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Gilbride began his career as the linebackers coach at Idaho State in 1974-75. He held the same position at Tufts University in 1976-77. Gilbride was the defensive coordinator at American International and the head coach at his alma mater, Southern Connecticut State University, from 1980-84.

Gilbride was born in New Haven, Con., and earned a degree in physical education from Southern Connecticut State, where he also played quarterback and tight end. He received his master s in athletic administration from Idaho State. He and his wife, Deborah, have three children - daughters Kelly and Kristen and son, Kevin. Kelly is a 1998 graduate of Harvard University, Kristen graduated from the University of Connecticut in 1999 and Kevin graduated from the University of Hawaii in 2003.

GILBRIDE AT A GLANCE

1974-75& & & & & ....Idaho State& & & & & & & ..graduate assistant

1976-77& & & & & & Tufts University& & & & & ..linebackers coach

1978-79& & & & ........American International& ..defensive coordinator

1980-84& & & & & & Southern Connecticut State& & & & head coach

1985-86& & & & & .Ottawa Rough Riders& & ..quarterbacks/receivers

1987& & & & & & & East Carolina& & & & .passing game coordinator

1988& & & & & & & East Carolina& & & & & & offensive coordinator

1989& & & & & & & Houston Oilers& .& & & & & quarterbacks coach

1990-93& & & & & ...Houston Oilers& & & & & ..offensive coordinator

1994& & & & & & & Houston Oilers& & & assistant head coach/offense

1995-96& & & & & ...Jacksonville Jaguars& & & ..offensive coordinator

1997-98& & & & & ...San Diego Chargers& & & & & & & & head coach

1999-00& & & & & ...Pittsburgh Steelers& & & & .offensive coordinator

2002-03& & & & & ...Buffalo Bills& & & & & & ..offensive coordinator

2004-06& ..& & & & New York Giants& & & & & & quarterbacks coach

2007& & & & & & & New York Giants& & & & ..offensive coordinator

Seriously, think about this for a sec... they have waited this long, so what would all the harm be in waiting another couple of weeks? Not much, if any. Personally, as much as it pains me to wait and wait and wait, I'm thankful that Dimitroff seems meticulous in his approach of selecting THE RIGHT GUY. I'm as sick of waiting as most, but even more than that, I want the right guy to get the job. So, I tap my foot... I check the headlines every 20 min. (no lie)... and I wait.

Do your thing, T.D.!

SoCalFalconFan (1/21/2008)
Seriously, think about this for a sec... they have waited this long, so what would all the harm be in waiting another couple of weeks? Not much, if any. Personally, as much as it pains me to wait and wait and wait, I'm thankful that Dimitroff seems meticulous in his approach of selecting THE RIGHT GUY. I'm as sick of waiting as most, but even more than that, I want the right guy to get the job. So, I tap my foot... I check the headlines every 20 min. (no lie)... and I wait.

Do your thing, T.D.!

As long as he brings in a guy who wins in the end i could care less if we wait another 2 or 3 months :)

Legion (1/21/2008)
I'm REALLY worried. Is he trying to sell the Falcons to LA or something?

Nope maybe somewhere else but not L.A. The mayor there actually said they don't want a NFL team. Sounds pretty stupid to me. I don't see how Oklahoma or Bama doesn't have a team yet. Football is huge at both places.

herr doktor (1/21/2008)
Legion (1/21/2008)

OKLA and Bama do not have any of the top 30 TV Markets-thats the only thing that has stopped them so far!

It's about time they move into the top 30 :D They need to quit laggin behind and get with the times. They need Football in both places.

Do you think our chances of getting a coach from a Super Bowl contender is good? I believe that, regardless of how the Giants fair in the big game, there's going to be such a push to retain everyone by NY...and the emotional factor to stay, that we can't afford the salary to bring them here. I was impressed, but to me the probability of them coming here went down like Green Bay's hopes.:crying:

FalconFan13 (1/21/2008)
herr doktor (1/21/2008)
Legion (1/21/2008)

OKLA and Bama do not have any of the top 30 TV Markets-thats the only thing that has stopped them so far!

It's about time they move into the top 30 :D They need to quit laggin behind and get with the times. They need Football in both places.

that and more people live inside the perimeter of 285 than live in the entire state of alabama. not a big enough population in that state, much less a single city to truly support a franchise