Ticket question

FalconMama

FalconMama (1/20/2008)
Hi today my husband got stopped for running a red light in Dekalb County. Do any of yall have any idea how much a red light violation ticket runs?

How can somebody not see a red light? Anyways I would call up a local police station and ask. Different counties, different prices.

By the way, thanks for giving me a nightmare with that Richard Simmons picture.

FalconMama (1/20/2008)
Hi today my husband got stopped for running a red light in Dekalb County. Do any of yall have any idea how much a red light violation ticket runs?

Should have a phone number on it , where you can call them unless you want to fight it. Your husband can always say he sneezed , why he ran the red light. I know people that have beaten red light tickets with that defense. Its not like they were in the car watching you, its your word against theirs. :P

nativefalcon (1/21/2008)
FalconMama (1/20/2008)

Should have a phone number on it , where you can call them unless you want to fight it. Your husband can always say he sneezed , why he ran the red light. I know people that have beaten red light tickets with that defense. Its not like they were in the car watching you, its your word against theirs. :P

my experience has been that traffic court judges view cops as paragons of virtue and truth, and myself as a liar and criminal.

but yeah, definitely try any BS defense you can come up with. what's the worst they can do- tell you to pay the ticket?

Falconmama,

Although I do not practice in GA, it would be worth the effort to post a question on www.lawguru.com.

most of the time you will get decent honest answers, as well as opportunities to get in touch with an ATTY who can help.

I belong to the group, but am here in NC, so there is little if anything I can do to really assist you.

I got a speeding tix that was 51 in a 35. That cost me 170 plus court costs, so $230 altogether I think? I showed up in court. It took them a while to get to my case, maybe 2, 2-1/2 hours. Before I left I had counted up over 6K in fines that the court had taken in. It's all a freakin' racket.

Btw, good advice XLD. All they can do is say, pay this, and they may reduce it if you ask. No harm in asking.

octoslash (1/22/2008)
If your husband is in fact guilty then.......

....why should he try to avoid the penalty?

Just sayin'

Because we are a race of victims and no one ever does anything wrong. I'm not saying the person ion question did say wrong, or is a self perceived victim, but it seems second nature for us to try to win these senseless little battles. The last time I had to go to traffic court(I was the last car hit in a multi car accident), it was 3 hours of people saying the dumbest things to try and get out of their traffic violations. They break the law and want a free pass. The judge was not very kind either. He has the discretion to increase the fine, and several times he did.

My last ticket was for a slow speed accident where I rear ended the car in front of me. My fault for not paying attention. What amazed me were the number of people who witnessed the accident kept telling me to fight it because the woman in front of me stopped suddenly. When the cop showed up, I told him it was my fault, to write me a ticket so we could all be on our way as soon as possible. He stared at me as if I turned in to an insect. He told me, no one ever admitted guilt and asked for a ticket before. I told him because everyone else is stupid. Just because I did a stupid thing does not mean I have to continue to act stupid. People kept coming up to the cop, demanding that I should not get a ticket.

My advice to the original poster. Have your husband pay the fine and write it off as a life experience. If he can't afford it, then he can't afford to drive. No need to tie up the courts with frivolous excuses. If, he can prove without a doubt that he did not run a red light, then fight it. I just don't think there is a way.