My Falcons Off-Season Mock V2.0

Norwood32

Falcons Off-Season Mock V2.0 Pre-Combine

NEW = Updated/New

Been working on this one for a while. Had to wait for the Shrine game to finish to see if any one stood out. I've used mostly www.nfldraftscout.com for my info as well as the message board member's suggestion. Tell me what you think.

GM/Coaches

GM: Tom Dimitroff - Can't get this one wrong. (was Buddy Nix)

HC: Steve Spagnuolo - An excellent candidate for HC.(was Mike Singletary)

OC: Cam Cameron - He's not a HC, but he's still a good OC(was Hue Jackson)

DC: Rex Ryan - Worked with the Ravens and their D.(was Mike Zimmer)

Dimitroff has already been hired and i think we are just waiting till the Giants lose to hire Spagnuolo.

Release/Retire/Free Agent

OT...Wayne Gandy - Old and coming off an injury

WR/KR...Adam Jennings - Failed at returning punts and kickoffs.

OT...Quinn Ojinnaka - False Start #76

QB...Byron Leftwich - Fragile and long wind-up

QB...Joey Harrington - Solid back-up but still...

WR...Michael Jenkins - BUST! Roddy improved, all Jenkins did was give himself a new nickname "Pick 6"

TE...Dwayne Blakley - No need to re-sign him.

CB...Omare Lowe - Coming off an injury, no need to re-sign him.

FS...Chris Crocker - Has played good but I think its about time Jimmy Williams started

CB...Lewis Sanders - can get burned by a 6 year old girl...with 1 shoe

SS/CB...Antoine Harris - Good player, but for now Practice Squad.

K...Morten Andersen - Will most likely retire and we better get a K in the draft.

WR...Brian Finneran - Back-to-back knee injuries...

DT... Montavious Stanley - Did you know this guy was a 2nd round pick? Practice Squad

Gets rid of our old and done players and gives us some money to work with. Warrick Dunn said he will stay with the team and i don't mind if he gets less carries, he is a good mentor like Joe Horn, and with the improvements to the OL I think Dunn will do a lot better then he did this season.

Restructures

MLB...Keith Brooking - we will need him for one more season until our new MLB can become full time starter, right now he's more of a coach.

RB...Warrick Dunn- he said he's coming back so he will be here. Same as Brooking.

Re-Sign

OG...Tyson Clabo - Has showed he can play at RG or RT.

DE...Chauncey Davis - Has played good in limited playing time and can pass rush.

LB...Michael Boley - PRO BOLEY!!!

LB...Demorrio Williams - Good young player although this year wasn't his best. No need to let him go. He's fast!

CB...DeAngelo Hall - Top 10 corner, don't be stupid and let him go. Remember Kerney?

TE...Courtney Anderson - Good receiving TE.

QB...Chris Redman - Didn't know he was a FA. Re-sign him to a 1-2 year deal so he can start until the rookie QB can take over.

Sign

QB...Daunte Culpepper(OAK) - Hopefully his knee has fully healed, its been 2 years. Solid Back-up.

WR...Bryant Johnson(ARZ) - Good WR but never got action in ARZ. Jenkins replacement.

WR/KR...Jerome Mathis(HOU) - Proven KR. Jennings replacement. If he flaps his hands he takes off.;)

OG...Floyd Womack(SEA) - Will be or starter at RG. Forney's replacement

I found out Babineaux was signed to a 5 year extension by the Seahawks, sucks I really liked him...as a player. Not a lot of signings but these players will help out a lot.

Trade

Kynan Forney to Oakland for a 5th Round Pick. - Fits their scheme, not ours.

Draft

Round - Name - Pos. - College - Height - Weight - 40 Time

1 - Sedrick Ellis - DT - USC - 6.1 - 305 - 4.96(was Darren McFadden RB)

This guy is a BEAST! Gotta go with BPA, assuming Jake Long is gone. Started all thirteen games at nose guard, leading a unit that ranked fourth in the nation vs. the run (84.15 ypg), second in total defense (273.15 ypg) and second in scoring defense (16.0 ppg). Also registered career-highs while ranking second on the squad with 8.5 sacks for minus 67 yards and 12.5 stops for losses totaling 75 yards. 2-time All-American first teamer. He was named to the 2007 AP (unanimous), Football Coaches, Football Writers, Walter Camp, The Sporting News, SI.com, Collegefootballnews.com and Pro Football Weekly All-American first teams.

2 - Chris Williams - OT - Vanderbilt - 6.6 - 315 - 5.29(was Jeff Otah OT)

Will be the future at LT. Started all twelve contests at left tackle, receiving the top blocking grade for consistency (85.67%) of any down lineman in the SEC, as he produced 102 knockdowns/key blocks, including twelve that resulted in touchdowns while allowing only one quarterback sack and one pressure on 836 offensive snaps.

2 - Chad Henne - QB - Michigan - 6.2 - 225 - 5.18

NFL ready QB. His numbers are low because of injury. Can make all the throws, throws a great deep ball. Has great touch. Has started 46 career games at quarterback, started 39 consecutive games prior to injury against Oregon. Completed a school record 803-of-1348 passes (59.6 pct.) for 9,342 yards with 84 touchdowns and 35 interceptions.

3 - Curtis Lofton - MLB - Oklahoma - 6.0 - 238 - 4.73(was Dre Moore DT)

This guy goes all out. Has excellent range. Weak MLB draft class, so teams will hold off for a MLB till next year. FWAA, Sports Illustrated and Sporting News First Team All-American, AP Second Team All-American, All-Big 12 first team by coaches and Associated Press, Associated Press Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, two-time Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week. Ranked No. 12 nationally with 10.92 tackles per game. Recorded an OU-record eight games with double-digit tackles including a career-high 18 against Missouri. Scored two touchdowns on the season, a 45-yard INT return against Utah State and a 12-yard fumble return against Missouri. Forced fumbles against Texas and Oklahoma State inside the Sooner five yard line. Leads the team with four forced fumbles. Recorded nine tackles, including a career-best three for loss against Missouri in the Big 12 Championship, also notched his first career sack and returned an interception 26 yards in the championship game.

3 - Quintin Demps - FS - UTEP - 6.0 - 205 - 4.53(comp.)(was Jonathon Goff MLB)

Need a FS early because if J-Will is a bust (please no) he will be our starter. Quintin Demps ranked 15th nationally in punt returns with a 13.3-yard average. He is first among active NCAA Division I-A players with 17 interceptions. He posted 72 tackles (55 solos), 4.5 tackles for losses, two fumble recoveries and a blocked kick in 2007. He led the team with five interceptions (for a school-record 220 yards) and nine pass break-ups.

4 - Robert Felton - OG - Arkansas - 6.4 - 312 - 5.32(was Heath Benedict OG)

Can play RG and RT. The offensive co-captain teamed with All-American center Jonathan Luigs to pave the way for a running attack that ranked fourth in the nation with an average of 286.54 yards per game. Allowed just one quarterback sack. The front wall ranked fifth nationally, allowing just one quarterback sack per game. Finished his final season with an 85.69% grade for blocking consistency, as he registered 51 knockdowns and 17 touchdown-resulting blocks.

5 - Matt Forte - RB - Tulane - 6.2 - 222 - 4.56(was Jason Jones DE)

Forte is a perfect name for him. He doesn't have the break away speed but Norwood does. He will be more of a power guy. Associated Press All-America Second Team. Forte set school single-season records with 2,127 yards and 23 touchdowns on 361 carries while ranking second on the team with 32 receptions for another 282 yards. His rushing total and 177.2 rushing yards per game average ranks second in the NCAA, and he also ranks second nationally in scoring with 11.7 points per game.

5 - Heath Benedict - OG - Newberry - 6.6 - 328 - 4.99(OAK)(was D.J. Parker FS)

Very athletic and he will be a solid back-up. Stock fell because he had an excellent junior season and scouts expected more from him. The team totaled 1,744 yards on 310 carries (5.6 avg), but on 132 running plays over Benedict's territory, the Indians amassed 1,142 yards, an average of 8.65 yards per attempt. Collected 86 knockdowns/key blocks with eighteen touchdown-resulting blocks, as both figures are the most to date by any other offensive lineman in college football. Also came up with sixteen down field blocks, grading 92.71% for blocking consistency.

6 - Brandon Coutu - K - Georgia - 6.0 - 188 - 5.12

We need a Kicker, we can't keep bringing back Mort. His range decreases by 5 yards a year. [Tongue] Appeared in 12 games making 16-of-21 FG attempts, 44-of-44 PATs, 67 kickoffs for 59.0 yard average. Has made 109 consecutive PATs in his career with no misses.

7 - Brian Johnston - DE - Gardner-Webb - 6.5 - 276 - 4.84(was Adam Kraus OG)

American Football Coaches Association FCS All-American. Collected 74 total tackles (37 solo), a school and conference-record 24.0 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks and 22 quarterback pressures. He finished second nationally in tackles for loss per game, and helped Gardner-Webb improve nearly 70 spots statistically in the final national defensive rankings from a year ago.

7 - Brian Witherspoon - CB/KR - Stillman - 5.10 - 168 - 4.23(PIT)

Runs a 4.23 :w00t: good returner to replace Jennings. Needs to bulk up. Participated in the East Coast All-Star Bowl. Was a pre-season All-American as selected by d2football.com. All American in Track & Field.

Depth Chart

Bold = Rookie. Italics = Free Agent

Offense

WR - Roddy White, Bryant Johnson, Jerome Mathis

LT - Chris Williams, Renardo Foster

LG - Justin Blalock, Heath Benedict

C - Todd McClure, Doug Datish

RG - Floyd Womack, Robert Felton

RT - Todd Weiner, Tyson Clabo

TE - Alge Crumpler, Martrez Milner, Courtney Anderson

WR - Laurent Robinson, Joe Horn

QB - Chris Redman, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Henne

RB - Warrick Dunn, Jerious Norwood, Ray Rice

FB - Ovie Mughelli, Jason Snelling

Pretty much every OL spot is up for grabs at camp and pre-season. Don't let the depth chart at RB fool you, all 3 RB's will get carries each game. Just because Dunn is starting doesn't mean he will get the most carries. Chris Redman will battle with Culpepper for the starting job. Hopefully Chad Henne won't have to play at all unless its the last week and were resting our starters for the playoffs ;)

Defense

LDE - Jamaal Anderson, Brian Johnston

NT - Sedrick Ellis, Trey Lewis, Ahtyba Rubin

UT - Rod Coleman, Jonathon Babineaux

RDE - John Abraham, Chauncey Davis

BLB - Michael Boley, Marcus Wilkins

MLB - Keith Brooking, Curtis Lofton

WLB - Demorrio Williams, Stephen Nicholas

LCB - DeAngelo Hall, Brent Grimes, Brian Witherspoon

RCB - Chris Houston, David Irons

SS - Lawyer Milloy, Darren Stone

FS - Jimmy Williams, Quintin Demps

Hopefully Jimmy Williams has learned the FS position by now so he can become a starter, if not Demps will do the job and JW will be a nickel-back or dime-back. Really hope Brent Grimes can stay healthy I liked his play against Arizona. Curtis Lofton will get a lot of playing time, probably will go 50/50 with Brooking. We will have an amazing DL with good depth, which is good because Coleman seems to always get injured.

Special Teams

PK - Brandon Coutu

H - Michael Koenen

P - Michael Koenen

KO - Michael Koenen

KOR - Jerome Mathis, Brian Witherspoon

PR - Brian Witherspoon, Quintin Demps

LS - Mike Schneck

We finally got a kicker and some good return men.

Practice Squad

DT...Montavious Stanley

QB...DJ Shockley

CB/SS...Antoine Harris

QB/WR/RB/KR...Jayson Foster

I think we can be a really competitive team next year if it went down like this. We will have a solid OL and an amazing DL. It all starts in the trenches. Good OL helps out the RB and QB, while a good DL helps the CB's and Safety's. All comments, good or bad, will be greatly appreciated. I will also consider your suggestion for my next mock.:cool:

Love tha effort. very insightful. but Lofton stands no chance of getting out tha 2nd round. Could go 1st round with good combine numbers.

I, too, feel like warrick will restructure which is why i dont think we'll go after a runningback so early. Im more high on boyd than forte, though.

thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)
Love tha effort. very insightful. but Lofton stands no chance of getting out tha 2nd round. Could go 1st round with good combine numbers.

I, too, feel like warrick will restructure which is why i dont think we'll go after a runningback so early. Im more high on boyd than forte, though.

Right now Lofton is projected as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm thinking he could fall to our early 3 round pick because there are a lot of very talented MLB's in next years drafts so teams will wait to get their future next year rather then risk it on a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year. And i don't think 5th Round is early for a RB, or for anything. Thanks for the comments.

I stopped reading at the signing of Culpepper.

That would be one of the dumbest things that we have ever done.

You do realize that by bringing in a new GM that we are suppose to be trying to eliminate all the stupid FA signings. RIGHT?

You say you put a lot of time into this but whatever else you wrote was immediately ruined by Culpepper.

Sorry to be so negative but that is just idiotic.

goosedaddy70 (1/20/2008)
I stopped reading at the signing of Culpepper.

That would be one of the dumbest things that we have ever done.

You do realize that by bringing in a new GM that we are suppose to be trying to eliminate all the stupid FA signings. RIGHT?

You say you put a lot of time into this but whatever else you wrote was immediately ruined by Culpepper.

Sorry to be so negative but that is just idiotic.

Ok no problem, can you tell me why you hate the signing of Culpepper?

Norwood32 (1/20/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)

Right now Lofton is projected as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm thinking he could fall to our early 3 round pick because there are a lot of very talented MLB's in next years drafts so teams will wait to get their future next year rather then risk it on a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year. And i don't think 5th Round is early for a RB, or for anything. Thanks for the comments.

maybe I worded that wrong. I think we'll pick a rb late rather than early too, because I think warrick will restructure. I was talking about everybody else who has us taking a rb in tha 1st or 2nd. We can get so much more than a runningback with those picks.

thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)

maybe I worded that wrong. I think we'll pick a rb late rather than early too, because I think warrick will restructure. I was talking about everybody else who has us taking a rb in tha 1st or 2nd. We can get so much more than a runningback with those picks.

Ok, now i see what your saying. I agree RB isn't really a big need and this draft class is deep at RB.

Sure I can.

The only time period that Culpepper was any good was when he had Randy Moss and Robert Smith and I believe that ended as the 21 century began.

Culpepper has lost his ability to scramble due to age and being out of shape(he gets heavier every year) His greatest ability was throwing downfield which has slowly declined with a lack of arm strength. He has never been very accurate and has never been a true student of the game. He usually got by with his athletic ability and with the fact that he had some true offensive weapons around him. Once those were taken away, he suddenly found himself as a "not so elite" QB.

Oakland found out how much his abilities had declined this past year and McCown and Walters and even Russell got to play.

In a nutshell, the guy was good in the 90's with a very explosive Vikings offense but his time has passed. If he was a guy that was good for coaching up a young QB then I would understand a little more but Culpepper has made it known that he is not going to work with upcoming QBs.

Why would we get rid of two stiffs like Harrington and Leftwich just to bring in another stiff in Culpepper?

Now, you can answer my question.

goosedaddy70 (1/20/2008)
Sure I can.

The only time period that Culpepper was any good was when he had Randy Moss and Robert Smith and I believe that ended as the 21 century began.

Culpepper has lost his ability to scramble due to age and being out of shape(he gets heavier every year) His greatest ability was throwing downfield which has slowly declined with a lack of arm strength. He has never been very accurate and has never been a true student of the game. He usually got by with his athletic ability and with the fact that he had some true offensive weapons around him. Once those were taken away, he suddenly found himself as a "not so elite" QB.

Oakland found out how much his abilities had declined this past year and McCown and Walters and even Russell got to play.

In a nutshell, the guy was good in the 90's with a very explosive Vikings offense but his time has passed. If he was a guy that was good for coaching up a young QB then I would understand a little more but Culpepper has made it known that he is not going to work with upcoming QBs.

Why would we get rid of two stiffs like Harrington and Leftwich just to bring in another stiff in Culpepper?

Now, you can answer my question.

Yea, i guess your right. I didn't take into account his age. I thought we could sign him for 2 years to be a back-up. Who would you sign, or would you keep Shockley?

I'm with goosedaddy. Culpepper has shown me nothing with Miami or Oakland that would justify bringing him in here. He's no better than Redman, so what's the point? Plus, he'd probably be whining the whole year about not starting.

If we're gonna bring in another veteran, make it someone like McCown or Volek who would be comfotable being a back-up.

Also, I'd rather have Flacco or Johnson instead of Henne, but that's just a personal preference.

I have been a harsh critic on Shockley but only because I have never seen him play in a consistent manner. However, he has high character and seems to be willing to do anything to stay in the NFL.

I would like to see Shockley have a chance to show what he can do but I also would like to bring a guy like Billy Volek in here who can definitely start for a couple of years while we groom a young QB like Dennis Dixon or even Josh Johnson.

I don't really care for any of the high draft pick QBs but we may find a real steal in one of those 2 guys.

Volek has been a backup for most of his career but was very good in a starting roll for the Titans when McNair was hurt.

He could start for a couple of years and Redmon and a young QB could back him up and learn.

JMO...

But one of the things I liked about your off-season was your statement of getting rid of the old "has beens." I am with you on that and I am very hopeful that our new GM is as well.

We need to make a move to being a younger team on the rise. And we need to make an overall change in the base of this team.

goosedaddy70 (1/20/2008)
I have been a harsh critic on Shockley but only because I have never seen him play in a consistent manner. However, he has high character and seems to be willing to do anything to stay in the NFL.

I would like to see Shockley have a chance to show what he can do but I also would like to bring a guy like Billy Volek in here who can definitely start for a couple of years while we groom a young QB like Dennis Dixon or even Josh Johnson.

I don't really care for any of the high draft pick QBs but we may find a real steal in one of those 2 guys.

Volek has been a backup for most of his career but was very good in a starting roll for the Titans when McNair was hurt.

He could start for a couple of years and Redmon and a young QB could back him up and learn.

JMO...

But one of the things I liked about your off-season was your statement of getting rid of the old "has beens." I am with you on that and I am very hopeful that our new GM is as well.

We need to make a move to being a younger team on the rise. And we need to make an overall change in the base of this team.

Josh Johnson would be my second option at QB in the draft. I don't think you get 44 TD's and 1 INT on accident. Volek wouldn't be a bad pick-up but who would start? Volek or Redman. IMO i would want Redman to start.

We definatly need to get rid of our old players. They constantly get injured and just aren't the same player they used to be. I think this a great draft to start re-building because its so deep at critical positions that we need.

If Rex Ryan is the next DC wouldn't it reason we would start converting to a 3-4 defense that he has always run? Ellis is a tampa 2 UT...Its a bit hard to critique your draft with the staff that you project For one Spagnoulo if selected HC would probably not even hire Ryan, as he prefers a 4-3 blitzing/penetrating Defense.

Also be careful in your research. Stanley was a 6th round draft pick by the cowboys http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7931