Josh McDaniels is obviously Dimitroff's guy: Atlanta's next HC

boss hogg

When I look at the so called "top-candidates" left in the running for the ATL HC job (McDaniels, Spagnuolo, Ryan, Frazier, Singletary, Schwartz, and Smith), I'm going out on a limb and say Dimitroff is waiting to speak with Josh McDaniels and he will be the next head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. Here's why:

1. McDaniels spent his first two years (1999 and 2000)as a grad assistant at Mich. St. under Nick Saban. Saban of course is part of the Belichick coaching tree as well from his days with the Cleveland Browns. Shows even more of the Belichick "pedigree."

2. McDaniels and Dimitroff both arrived in New England the same year, 2001 and have spent the past 6 years "together". Dimitroff should know what kind of guy McDaniels is by now.

3. Dimitroff knows McDaniels would probably bring Nick Caserio (Patriots current wide receivers coach) with him and may name him OC or QB coach. Caserio was director of pro personnel in New Englan 2004-2006 so he and Dimitroff worked together in the front office. Caserio was McDaniels QB in college at John Carroll University and they both arrived together to the Patriots as personnel assistants in 2001.

If ATL is going to hire a head coach with no prior NFL head coaching experience (which none of these candidates have), Dimitroff will push for his boy in New England.

And I'll take you one step further, look for the Falcons to select Matt Ryan (Boston College) with their first pick (if he's available) because Dimitroff, McDaniels, and Caserio have all been watching, scouting, and evaluating him from a front row seat in New England.

I kinda agree with you about every thing exceopt that matt ryan part....i think since he was a scouting guy......I trhink he will show everybody he can find a QB in the2nd,3rd,or 4th round...If he did thjat...that can make his career....Trust me....we wont get a QB in the first round....and he will try to trade our 1st round pick for more picks.....thats why he said that comment ...I dont live and die by the draft vaule chart

drneckbone (1/20/2008)
Nice thinking and good logic, but I do not see it.

Nor do I see Matt Ryan coming here. I do not think we will draft a QB in the first round.

Let me reiterate PLEASE do not draft a QB in the 1st round.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we SHOULD draft Ryan. I think we will draft him if we keep our top 5 pick and he is still available. Blank has shown that he believes in building around a "franchise" QB and he isn't afraid to use his first pick to do it. So I think QB with the first pick is a reasonable expectation.

atljbo (1/20/2008)
I kinda agree with you about every thing exceopt that matt ryan part....i think since he was a scouting guy......I trhink he will show everybody he can find a QB in the2nd,3rd,or 4th round...If he did thjat...that can make his career....Trust me....we wont get a QB in the first round....and he will try to trade our 1st round pick for more picks.....thats why he said that comment ...I dont live and die by the draft vaule chart

I'm gonna use a bunch of "ifs" here. IF the Falcons could hire McDaniels, IF we keep our top five pick, and IF Ryan is still available, I also think its gonna be Ryan because McDaniels realizes more than ever the importance of the QB to the franchise having won 17 straight with Tom Brady (by the way, Brady just threw his first red zone interception...in two years). There isn't another QB in the draft, say what you may, that is remotely worth a top 5 pick besides Ryan. A lot has to happen between now and the draft (Senior Bowl, individual workouts, scouting combine, etc) but I don't see the Falcons passing on Ryan if they keep the top five pick.

boss hogg (1/20/2008)
Vicious (1/20/2008)
Just say no to Matt Ryan!

Your sig touts Spagnuolo. Just curious, why?

There's way too much to post as to why all over again. Scroll back through the pages and look for the Spags threads and I'm sure to have posted as well as many others about him. He would be a good choice in my opinion.

drneckbone (1/20/2008)
Boss,

You gotta remember that Franchise QB he is used to was drafted in the 6th round.

I have nothing against McDaniel, I just do not think he is going to leave NE yet

Ok...I'm willing to call it a push on the Matt Ryan thing. I'm not attached to picking him anyway. However, if the Falcons are not waiting for McDaniels, given his history with our GM, I can't even imagine why they would wait on Steve Spagnuolo or any other coach still in the playoffs. At this point for me, its McDaniels or it makes no sense to wait. And I'm not even saying McDaniels SHOULD be the guy, I'm saying we shouldn't be waiting for anyone else.

drneckbone (1/20/2008)
Nice thinking and good logic, but I do not see it.

Nor do I see Matt Ryan coming here. I do not think we will draft a QB in the first round.

Let me reiterate PLEASE do not draft a QB in the 1st round.

Correct!!!

NO QB IN FIRST ROUND

My order of preference:

Safety

OT

DL

RB

QB

boss hogg (1/20/2008)
Twinblade (1/20/2008)
Josh McDaniel is not even calling plays so why him?

OH...so who is calling the plays for New England?

I was thinking belichick was a Offense kind of guy...either way Josh McDaniel isn't nothing special. Pats was already good before they made McDaniel a OC.

67camaro (1/20/2008)
Twinblade (1/20/2008)
Josh McDaniel is not even calling plays so why him?

Josh McDaniel IS the ONLY ONE calling the plays for NE, sorry

Yes I know, I was thinking Bill was a Offense type of guy, either way, McDaniel is nothing special either, just another Jason Garrett. Getting to much credit for coaching a really talented team.