After a lot of research, here is a complete offseason

hornsmd

Notable releases/not resigned/retirements

Rod Coleman- He has had to many injuries. A force when healthy, but will he ever be healthy again.

D-Mo- will want to much money for his lack of production.

Wayne Gandy- I think he will retire after his Knee injury, but he has to be gone because he was already slow off the ball. What do you think will happen with a repaired knee.

K. Forney- Not good for straight up blocking. Trade him to Denver for a 5th rounder.

Alge Crumpler- Get rid of him while he has any value left. He has been an offseason mummy. How long before he can't play in the majority regular season. Traded to Oakland for a 4th.

Weiner- His injury last year let Clabo shine. Get him off the books a year early.

Joe Horn- I like the work he did as a coach, but he blew on the field. Release him bring him in as WR coach.

Adam Jennings- The project failed and failed badly.

Leftwich and Harrington- Both are good guys but they got beat out by Redman.

Dunn- A great guy and good presence for the team in the community, but no where near the salary that he is owed. I don't think restructing will help.

Morten Anderson- Its time for Morten to sail off into the sunset as a Falcon. This is the best draft for Kickers I can remember with Serna, Contu, Carmady, Barth, Etc...

Resign: D. Hall- No one can replace him.

Redman- He earned his pay day behind that o-line last year.

Boley- The best Linebacker we have had since Tuggle.

Clabo- His talent finally showed

Crocker- He came up big last year. a weak safety class makes this an easy decision.

Still on team because we can't address everything this Offseason.

Lewis Sanders- Can Stay but only for injury protection, being cheap keeps him around.

Michael Jenkins- Hardest person not to cut but we can't draft a high replacement for him so he gets 1 last year.

Brian Finneran- Atleast he makes it to Spring Training with a shot at the team.

Restructure Keith Brooking's contract: Let him finish his career in the ATL.

Free Agents:

Floyd Porkchop Womack- Will be cheaper and is younger than Fanaca. He is a mauler and will be a good fit for the line.

Karlos Dansby- He is a tremendous talent. He can come in a let Nicholis be a back up for both OLB positions.

The Draft:

I will start and say this I believe that the trenches is where the game is won and lost so I draft according to that.

1. Jake Long: 6-7 315-LT- A beast that solidified his place at the top of the draft with the bowl performance against Harvey. We start the O-line rebuild here.

2a. Chris Ellis: 6-5 256-LDE- Really adds quality depth. He is protection against injury and the chance that Jamaal turns into a huge bust.

2b. Red Bryant- 6-5 328-DT- I could see Okam or Sims here too. I just like Bryant's ability.

3a- Josh Johnson- 6-3 198-QB- Originally had John David Booty here. But JJ's showing at the Shrine game pushed him over the top to me. The thing I really like is he is mobile but he is a pass first QB. Signing Redman allows him to sit and learn for a year or two.

3b- (comp. for Kerney)- Eric Young- 6-4 308-OG-Could also be Heath Benedict, but I like Young's potential and the fact that he would have been a late first early second pick without the injury. Could be a huge steal.

4a- Matt Forte- 6-2 222-RB- 4.56/40 speed keeps him down in this talented draft. Easy pick here though, we have missed an inside runner for a while and he fits the bill.

4b- (Crumpler trade with Oak.) Paul Hubbard- 6-3 218- A big target that has a chance to be a big play threat for a long time.

5a- Jacob Tamme- 6-4 232-TE- The perfect replacement for Crumpler. Can Catch, block, and split out like a WR.

5b- (Forney Trade with Den.)- Cory Boyd- 6-0 218-RB- I know your saying why 2 running backs. Boyd is just too good to pass up on and he can compete for a roster spot with Forte and Snelling.

6. Alexis Serna- K - IMO the best of the kickers in this draft. He is proven he can make clutch kicks in horrible weather, the dome makes him that much better.

7a- S. Giguere- WR- I know I probally misspelled his name. This guy is out of Canada and a true threat at the slot position. He has the size and speed to play with the best.

7b. Jayson Foster- WR/KR- The kid out of GA Southern is electric. I wouldn't take him if I thought he would be just a KR like Rossum, but I believe that he is talented enough to make an impact at WR later. Sooner if they run reverses.

UDFA:

Mikey Henderson

Josh Thompson

King Dunlap

Eric Brock

This is what we look like:

LDE: J. Anderson- C. Ellis

NT: T. Lewis- M. Stanley

UT: Red Bryant- J. Babineaux

RDE: J. Abraham- C. Davis

BLB: M. Boley- S. Nicholas- M. Wilkins

MLB: K. Brooking- T. Taylor- T. Williams

WLB: K. Dansby- S. Nicholas

LCB: D. Hall- D. Irons- O. Lowe

RCB: C. Houston- L. Sanders- B. Grimes

SS: L. Milloy- D. Stone

FS: C. Crocker- J. Williams

WRx: R. White- M. Jenkins- B. Finneran- P. Hubbard

LT: J. Long- Q. Ojinnaka

LG: J. Blalock- D. Batiste

C: T. McClure- D. Datish

RG: F. Womack- Eric Young

RT: T. Clabo- R. Foster

TE: M. Milner- J. Tamme- D. Blakley

WRz: L. Robinson- S. Giguere- J. Foster

QB: C. Redman- D.J. Shockley- J. Johnson

RB: J. Norwood- M. Forte- J. Snelling- C. Boyd

FB: O. Mughelli- C. McIntyre

K: Alexis Serna

P: M. Koenen

KR: J. Norwood/J. Foster

PR: J. Foster

LS: M. Schneck

I hate I could not address Issues in the Secondary other that resigning hall.

Please Give me your feedback. All responses are appreciated.

Dont like giving up crump for a 4th. If we had a decent Coach and QB he had a chance to be a pro bowler again.

I dont like taking a LDE in the 2nd. Thats too high for a guy that most of the league thinks will be a serviceable guy next year. We had Chauncey Davis behind him and really, we shouldnt have drafted that high based on CD's play.

Dont think you have a sufficient QB group. U got 4 games experience in 3 years combined. I prefer to sign Boller, Losman, or Pennington to compete with redman, shockley for the # 1/2 spots.

Dont like giving up crump for a 4th. If we had a decent Coach and QB he had a chance to be a pro bowler again.

I dont like taking a LDE in the 2nd. Thats too high for a guy that most of the league thinks will be a serviceable guy next year. We had Chauncey Davis behind him and really, we shouldnt have drafted that high based on CD's play.

Dont think you have a sufficient QB group. U got 4 games experience in 3 years combined. I prefer to sign Boller, Losman, or Pennington to compete with redman, shockley for the # 1/2 spots.

i see your reasoning, but a 4th for Crumpler gets a big H-E-L-L NO from me. That's just like Oakland taking a 4th for Randy Moss. Crump is our tightend. To cut him because he's had a down year is ridiculous. Everybody pretty much had a down year.

and im still not that high on Josh Johnson, considering we have D.J. Shockley.

est1979smartkid (1/20/2008)

I appreciate your reply. I think that QB will be ok with Redman Solidifing the spot. He is a vetern. I would rather have talent and suffer with talent than have a mediocre season with experience that is not good.

As for DE, Chris Ellis will be a good Pro IMO. I just think we need to get insurance against Jamaal. He is not a bust yet, but could get there quickly.

RB IMO is in good hand with Norwood, Forte, Boyd, and Snelling.

Again thank you for your response.

thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)
i see your reasoning, but a 4th for Crumpler gets a big H-E-L-L NO from me. That's just like Oakland taking a 4th for Randy Moss. Crump is our tightend. To cut him because he's had a down year is ridiculous. Everybody pretty much had a down year.

The reasoning behind Crump is purely because of injuries. Not because of a bad year. His knee surguries are really starting to worry me along with is nagging shoulder injuries. If he can't run or block due to these injuries, he is not the Crump of old. Its a hard decision but we have to start rebuilding

I'm not really sure about a DE with a second round pick with all hte needs we have but I will say that I like your emphasis on defensive line depth. That has been a huge problem for us in recent years both in terms of injuries and keeping guys fresh late in games. I hadn't really though about Bryant. He seems like he has a ton of physical talent.

Jake Long is also obviously a great pick for us if we don't trade down. If we could trade down a bit and get Clady or Baker and then get an extra second I'd be all for it. Not sure if that's doable though. I really think Clady is the best LT prospect in this draft. Long will be very good but I think to be an all pro type he would need to be on the right side. I want a LT who is best against speed rushers.

bush (1/20/2008)
Chris Ellis in the second round, LMFAO :w00t::w00t::w00t:

We already have a LDE in Davis who can fill in for Anderson if he doesnt pan out.

Davis is a RDE. He backs up Abe. Do you want to get in the same situation as 2 years ago when Kerney and Abe got hurt and we had on Davis to back both of them up. I don't. Its not a flashy pick or a draft. I just want the trenches to be built with talent. Chris Ellis is projected in the 2nd round with his stock rising.

Thanks for your response though

classic city falcon (1/20/2008)
I'm not really sure about a DE with a second round pick with all hte needs we have but I will say that I like your emphasis on defensive line depth. That has been a huge problem for us in recent years both in terms of injuries and keeping guys fresh late in games. I hadn't really though about Bryant. He seems like he has a ton of physical talent.

Jake Long is also obviously a great pick for us if we don't trade down. If we could trade down a bit and get Clady or Baker and then get an extra second I'd be all for it. Not sure if that's doable though. I really think Clady is the best LT prospect in this draft. Long will be very good but I think to be an all pro type he would need to be on the right side. I want a LT who is best against speed rushers.

I really thought Long was a RT. Gholston killed him. But than again who did he not kill. Long though really proved himself IMO against Harvey and the Florida speed. I'm not sold on Clady. I really like Chris Williams and Sam baker though. I could easily switch Dorsey or Ellis for Long and Chris Williams or Sam Baker for Red Bryant

hornsmd (1/20/2008)
bush (1/20/2008)

We already have a LDE in Davis who can fill in for Anderson if he doesnt pan out.

Davis is a RDE. He backs up Abe. Do you want to get in the same situation as 2 years ago when Kerney and Abe got hurt and we had on Davis to back both of them up. I don't. Its not a flashy pick or a draft. I just want the trenches to be built with talent. Chris Ellis is projected in the 2nd round with his stock rising.

Whats the point of going in the second round to draft a LE when he probobly isnt going to start? I know theres a such thing as depth and insurance, but were not the patriots here, we need these picks to count. I could understand a fourth to seventh round pick, but the second round is just absurd. And by the way, Davis is a LDE check the depth chart on nfl.com

thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)

I love crump in all but that's two totally different situations and Oakland aint going nowhere anyways.Moss just hated losing.Crump can barely move after games now,he was asking himself like 2 years ago why does he play this game,while he was in so much pain.He has some kind of injury of surgery every offseason,he gets bigger every year.I don't want to trade him but i'd consider that 4th.

hornsmd (1/20/2008)
We will just agree to disagree with the pick. IMO its worth the pick. I only my opinion.

What do you think we should we address with the second round pick?

What DE in the 4-7 round has a chance to make the team and contribute?

We need to take an OT with one of our second round picks, even if we draft Jake Long. We move Clabo back to RG and our rookie will play RT. Joe Flacco wouldnt be a bad pick, either. As for DE check out all of these names:http://walterfootball.com/draft2008DE.php

bush (1/20/2008)
hornsmd (1/20/2008)
bush (1/20/2008)

This is what I originally had us drafting

1. Jake Long

2a. Chris Williams

2b. Red Bryant

3a. Josh Johson

3b. Wallace Gilliberry

4a. Matt Forte

4b. Paul Hubbard

5a. Jacob Tamme

5b. Cory Boyd

6. Alexis Serna

7a S. Giguere

7b. Jayson Foster

It just left a gap at RG back up.

Whats the point of going in the second round to draft a LE when he probobly isnt going to start? I know theres a such thing as depth and insurance, but were not the patriots here, we need these picks to count. I could understand a fourth to seventh round pick, but the second round is just absurd. And by the way, Davis is a LDE check the depth chart on nfl.com

hornsmd (1/20/2008)
bush (1/20/2008)

no Davis is a LE and has always been,he backed up Kerney and Anderson.He backed up Abraham too this year because we only carried 3 DE's.Davis is the run stopper which is a LE.Chris Ellis could never play on the left side,he's way too small.Quicker pass rushers play RE.

bush (1/20/2008)
hornsmd (1/20/2008)
We will just agree to disagree with the pick. IMO its worth the pick. I only my opinion.

What do you think we should we address with the second round pick?

What DE in the 4-7 round has a chance to make the team and contribute?

We need to take an OT with one of our second round picks, even if we draft Jake Long. We move Clabo back to RG and our rookie will play RT. Joe Flacco wouldnt be a bad pick, either. As for DE check out all of these names:http://walterfootball.com/draft2008DE.php

Renardo Foster can play RT.He played fine at LT,RT would be alot easier.