G-Dawg's 2008 Falcons offseason

g-dawg

2008Falcons Depth Chart

After Draft/Free Agency

This would turn over 14 players on 52 man roster = 27%

One more draft and free agency period and flip another 25% and we should be in business

QB Billy Volek-Chargers Chris Redman Joe Flacco-Delaware

RB Jamal Charles-TX Jerious Norwood Jason Snelling

FB Ovie Mughelli Corey McIntyre

WR-X Roddy White Andre Davis-Texans Dexter Jackson-Appl. St.

WR-Y Laurent Robinson Brian Finneran

LT Jake Long-Michigan Quinn Ojinakka

LG Alan Faneca-Steelers D'Anthony Batiste

C Todd McClure Ben Wilkerson

RG Justin Blalock Eric Young-Utenn

RT Tyson Clabo Nat Dorsey-Browns

TE Alge Crumpler Martrez Milner Dwayne Blakely

LDE Jamaal Anderson Chauncey Davis

NT Trey Lewis Montavious Stanley

UT Jonathan Babineaux Dre Moore-Maryland

RDE John Abraham Marcus Howard-Georgia

BLB Michael Boley

MLB Jonathan Goff-Vandy Tony Taylor

WLB Keith Brooking Stephen Nicholas

LCB DeAngelo Hall David Irons

RCB Chris Houston Brett Grimes Glenn Sharpe-Miami

FS Chris Crocker Jimmy Williams

SS Lawyer Milloy Darren Stone Arlen Harris

PK Brandon Coutu-Georgia

P Michael Koenen

Cuts:

WR-Joe Horn

RB-Warrick Dunn

DT-Rod Coleman (he's hurt ALL the time)

WR-Adam Jennings (terrible returning kicks/punts)

OT-Todd Weiner

QB-Byron Leftwich

QB-Joey Harrington

Re-Sign:

Michael Boley

Tyson Clabo

Montavious Stanley

Chris Redman

Michael Koenen

Practice Squad:

DJ Shockley

Sign:

Billy Volek (temporary starter for 1 year)

Alan Faneca (all-pro, 31 sets the tone for o-line as butt-kickers)

Nat Dorsey (solid offensive lineman, graduated from Georgia Tech,compete w/ Clabo)

Andre Davis (great 3rd WR and kick/punt returner)

Draft:

Jake Long, OT

Joe Flacco, QB

Jamal Charles, WR

Dre Moore, DT

Jonathan Goff, MLB

Eric Young, OG

Brandon Coutu, PK

Marcus Howard, DE

Dexter Jackson, WR

Glenn Sharpe, CB

Imagine if we signed Alan Faneca and drafted Jake Long and put them side-by-side: this would be like the Falcons version of when the Seahawks had Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson side-by-side.

Yessiree, we would be able to convert 3rd and 1's and 3rd and 2's then, hmmmmmmm....

That would be freakin' A!:w00t:

goosedaddy70 (1/20/2008)
I don't like the Flacco pick but everything else looks awesome.

ok goosedaddy - i know there's some doubt out there on Flacco. Just watch the Senior Bowl next week and let's just see how 'ol Joe Flacco does versus the Division I boys. I think if he shows well there, he will erase many doubters like yourself.

We shall see......thanks for your input!

Good stuff g-dawg.

To start, I like your FA signings for the most part. I'm not sure we should go after Volek though. I don't think he's that much of an upgrade over Redmond. I feel that Redmond did more than enough to show that he should be the starter come opening day. I like Faneca, and I could see us going after him. Davis is also a good pickup.

As far as the draft, it's pretty good. I'm not really a Jake Long fan. With the question marks surrounding whether or not he can be a LT in the pros, and how Michigan clearly gameplanned to assist him against the speed rushers against FLA, I'm not sure he's the right pick. I don't see him as "head-and-shoulders" above the other OTs in the draft.

I'm trying to go off of memory, because I didn't want to quote the entire post, but if we're signing Faneca, why do we need Young? Is it just a depth/future pick? If so, it makes sense. You can never have too many offensive lineman.

The rest of your picks look good to me. I love Coutu's strong-leg. Good job, and well thought-out.

scott24falcs (1/20/2008)
Good stuff g-dawg.

To start, I like your FA signings for the most part. I'm not sure we should go after Volek though. I don't think he's that much of an upgrade over Redmond. I feel that Redmond did more than enough to show that he should be the starter come opening day. I like Faneca, and I could see us going after him. Davis is also a good pickup.

As far as the draft, it's pretty good. I'm not really a Jake Long fan. With the question marks surrounding whether or not he can be a LT in the pros, and how Michigan clearly gameplanned to assist him against the speed rushers against FLA, I'm not sure he's the right pick. I don't see him as "head-and-shoulders" above the other OTs in the draft.

I'm trying to go off of memory, because I didn't want to quote the entire post, but if we're signing Faneca, why do we need Young? Is it just a depth/future pick? If so, it makes sense. You can never have too many offensive lineman.

The rest of your picks look good to me. I love Coutu's strong-leg. Good job, and well thought-out.

thanks Scott......

Regarding Jake Long, I won't claim to have watched every Michigan game - but giving up 1 sack in his senior season- i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think Jake will be fine as pass protector and can play LT......of course I am sure there will be more analysis to come.

On Free Agents, yes-I'm not really married to Billy Volek signing - I'm just determined to get rid of both Harrington and Leftwich and we will need a veteran to go with the drafted QB and Redman. I don't want to get rid of Shockley but he may have to go back to the practice squad for at least one year - especially since he's coming off knee injury.

I really like Andre Davis as a #3 WR and kick returner...... I also think we cannot turn the offensive line around until we get a dominator who has been on a good team - Faneca is the guy.

DrDetecto (1/20/2008)
I really like it, I don't know about Long though. He would be absolutely amazing in the running game but I'm not sure how well he would fare against speed rushers, which is the most important thing of a LT IMO.

It seems Joe Thomas, the Wisconsin LT drafted by the Browns, fared well last year - i think he did not even allow one sack in the pro's. Maybe it was one, it was a ridiculously low number. I know that Jake and Joe are not the same, but I think they are similiar.

Bottom-line, Jake Long should not be a bust and should play for 10+ years in the NFL. I think he's the safest pick in the top 5. Maybe he won't be as dominant as Darren McFadden or Glen Dorsey but I think he will be very very good and more likely to have a long career at OT.

Norwood32 (1/20/2008)
I think Culpepper would be a better option instead of Volek IMO. I like your draft. Wouldn't really mind if went down like that.

I could live w/ Daunte, too....like I said, I'm not married to the idea of Billy Volek..I just want a veteran and I want to blow Leftwich and Harrington out of there.

g-dawg (1/20/2008)
DrDetecto (1/20/2008)
I really like it, I don't know about Long though. He would be absolutely amazing in the running game but I'm not sure how well he would fare against speed rushers, which is the most important thing of a LT IMO.

It seems Joe Thomas, the Wisconsin LT drafted by the Browns, fared well last year - i think he did not even allow one sack in the pro's. Maybe it was one, it was a ridiculously low number. I know that Jake and Joe are not the same, but I think they are similiar.

Bottom-line, Jake Long should not be a bust and should play for 10+ years in the NFL. I think he's the safest pick in the top 5. Maybe he won't be as dominant as Darren McFadden or Glen Dorsey but I think he will be very very good and more likely to have a long career at OT.

I don't think so.Joe Thomas is a finesse guy that has good movement he doesn't even weigh that much over 300.Long is a power guy.

I'm not sold on Jake Long playing LT in this league yet, but maybe he can change my mind at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Right now I'd rather have Clady, though.

Love the rest of the draft, though. Flacco or Johnson is the QB I hope we're looking at.

The Billy Volek move wouldn't be bad. We definitely need to hang onto Redman and then add a rookie and another veteran, then let them all compete in camp.

Our only other need in my mind is another strong player in the secondary. Our lack of depth at cornerback worries me, especially if Houston doesn't progress farther next season. He just gets picked on so much with D-Hall on the other side...

One last thing, going back to the O-line: I would NOT let Weiner go. He's too good. I'd rather have him than Clabo, although I'd prefer to keep both.