Scott24Falc's Complete Offseason II

This took me a long time, and I would love to hear what you guys think about it. This is the second one of these I've done, and I plan on doing atleast one more before the draft. Even though it's long, please read the ENTIRE thing to understand my reasoning for our picks. Hope you enjoy. ;)

To start, it will be impossible to fill all of our needs in one off-season. I love the hiring of Dimitroff as our new GM, and I think he will be the right guy to turn this team around, although it may take a couple of years. I believe our new HC will be: Steve Spagnuolo, defensive coordinator, NYG. I love the fire and passion he seems to have for the game. The Giant s defensive players are always praising him, and seem to love him. For what it s worth, Giant s fans are already freaking out about him leaving. He is a Jim Johnson disciple, and undoubtedly would bring an aggressive, attacking defense to our team. He will need to bring in a good OC though.

Blank has already said that we will be big players in FA. I m not so sure this is a great idea, and hopefully Dimitroff will choose solid, relatively inexpensive players to target. I m not going to predict what we will do in FA, but don t be surprised if we land one of the big name players that is available (Faneca, Turner, etc.). I really, really hope we don t go after Michael Turner. With the contract he s likely to get, and the surplus of quality RB s in the draft, signing him would make no sense to me.

I see us locking up Michael Boley in a matter of weeks. DHall s status is up in the air, and I don t even want to predict what will happen. I would love for him to stay with us though. We will also keep Tyson Clabo.

To the draft& ..

I have us picking 4th overall to be reasonable. The way I see the top 5 picks looking, is something like this:

1. Miami- Chris Long, DE, Virginia

- Miami goes with the 3-4 defense, and who better to take then the perfect DE for the 3-4.

2. St. Louis- Jake Long, OT, Michigan

- The Rams are in dire need of some talented, young players on the OL. They go with Jake Long to anchor down one of their OT spots for years to come. Long could come in and instantly create huge holes for Steven Jackson to run through.

3. Oakland- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

- This is a tough pick to predict. With the retirement of Warren Sapp, the Raiders are in need of a DT, and could go for Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis here. The Raiders were able to land the top QB in the draft last year, and decide to go with the top RB this year, giving them a great duo of players for the future.

4. Atlanta& & .

- What a tough decision for us. With Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, and Matt Ryan all available, what will we do? Listening to Dimitroff s press conference, it seemed that he s not necessarily a fan of taking a first-round QB. With the depth of the QB position in the draft, Dimitroff decides to go with& & & ..Glenn Dorsey. We could also go with Sedrick Ellis here, take your pick, either will be good. I think Dorsey put the health concerns to rest with his performance in the national championship.

5. Kansas City- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

- Rounding out the top 5, the Chiefs elect to go for Ryan. I don t think they feel that Brodie Croyle is the future.

Falcon s Complete Mock Draft:

1. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU - (see above)

2. Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky - I think that Woodson will be the QB that slips to the second round. There s a good chance that all of the Big 3 get drafted in the first, but I think that teams see the depth of the position this year, and aim for guys like Eric Ainge, Joe Flacco, Chad Henne, Josh Johnson, etc. in the 2nd-3rd range. Miami could very well take Woodson with their 2nd- rounder, but they took John Beck just last year in the second round, and probably don t want to give up on him quite yet (although he looked down-right frightened out there this year, but then again, he didn t have much support around him).

Some of you will say you d rather have Flacco here. To be honest, either one of them would make me happy. There are some obvious concerns with Woodson s delivery, and rightfully slow. But, there should be no dismissing what he did with Kentucky. He didn t have great talent around him, yet still had an awesome year in the toughest conference in college football. With some good coaching, Woodson s delivery can be adjusted, not necessarily changed to perfection, but enough to speed up his release a little.

2. (from Houston) - Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee - Right now, you may be thinking still no OL help? Don t worry, it s coming. Mayo is a really good player. He may need to bulk up a little to be our MLB, but he can play any of the LB spots at a very high level. He is very instinctive, and got really good later in the year at Tennessee. He s a hard-hitter, and with Glenn Dorsey and Trey Lewis in front of him, should be able to make plays, not having to worry about getting off many blocks. As of now, we ve gone with all SEC players, and to that I say, why not? Curtis Lofton is also an option here,

3. John Greco, OT, Toledo - Greco is big at 6 5 and 320 lbs, but I ve heard he s slimmed down a bit. He has played both RT and LT in college, and has done well at both spots. Right now he is projected to go in the 3rd. At the Shrine Game he showed really good footwork IMO. I feel he can be our future LT. Could he be our version of Michael Roos? The way I see it, with Greco we have our LT. We obviously have our future LG in Blalock (although he has a lot of work to do). I think either Renardo Foster or Tyson Clabo is our future RT, so all we need now is a RG, and possibly a C (we don t know what we have in Doug Datish), and also more depth is needed. I would like for us to add a solid veteran OG through FA to assist with the development of our OL (Floyd Womack?)

3. (Kerney Compensation) - Robert Felton, OG, Arkansas - A member of a terrific OL at Arkansas. Helped pave the way for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones to run through huge holes. Also has some playing experience at RT. I believe he could be our future RG. May not start right away, especially if we are to sign someone like Floyd Womack, but now if someone goes down with injury, we will have solid depth. One thing that concerns me is he committed a few too many false starts. With good coaching though something like that can be fixed. According to nfldraftscout.com, he registered 51 knockdowns, and 17 touchdown-resulting blocks in 2007.

4. Matt Forte, RB, Tulane - The RB class this year is loaded. This may not be the pick a lot of you like, but I think Forte is perfect for us. He is just the kind of back we need to complement Norwood. He s big and strong. 6 2, 223 lbs. He runs hard, and picks up yards after contact. He is not a speedy, big-play threat, but we already have a guy like that with Jerious. This would be a good pick for us IMO.

5. Thomas DeCoud, FS, California - Jimmy Williams has been a huge disappointment. I m not sure we re giving up on him just yet, but I think we will look to land a late-round FS in the draft. DeCoud is a hard-hitter, and a great tackler. I ve only seen him play a few times, but each time he s impressed me. He would be a guy that could come in and be a solid ST player at the least. Maybe after picking up on the speed of the game, he could come in and start, but he provides depth. We shouldn t expect 5th round picks to be starters anyway.

6. Kenny Iwebema, DE, Iowa - Strictly a potential pick. He has a good motor and athleticism, but he struggles substantially with his consistency. He could be the next Osi Umenyiora, or he could fail to even make the team. I like the pick because I think Spagnuolo could get his head in the right direction. He could possibly be a steal down the road.

7. Best K available - Enough of putting this position off. Let s get a guy that has range, and is accurate. Easier said than done though, see Justin Medlock.

7. Joe Clermond, DE, Pittsburgh - Yes, another DE. I like Clermond a lot. He s a solid pass-rusher, and he could be one of those guys that comes out of nowhere and racks up 6-12 sacks per year. A friend of mine is a Pitt fan, and says that Clermond has a good motor, and would be a great pick in the 7th-round. You can never have too much depth on the DL. I believe that Iwebema and Clermond would have to work really hard to beat out the other, and I think the competition would be great. I hear the Giant s players talking about how much Spagnuolo has done for them, and I can see him getting the most out of these late-round projects. We could also go for another DT here. Predicting the 7th-round is down-right difficult.

I m not sure how many 7th-round picks we have. I ve heard we may actually get a 3rd/4th AND a late 7th for the Kerney compensation. If that s the case, we take the best athlete available with our last pick.

Thanks a lot for reading. This took me a while, and I know it s very long. I would love for us to have an off-season like this one. Please comment back, and let me know what you like/dislike.

I will start off saying I understand that not all the issuses can be solidfied in one offseason. I like that you addressed the D-line, but I am concerned about the lack of O-line that you drafted. If we can start solidfing the trenches I consider this a successful offseason. I really like the pick of Forte. Another prospect that I like at RB like at RB is Green-Ellis.

hornsmd (1/20/2008)
I will start off saying I understand that not all the issuses can be solidfied in one offseason. I like that you addressed the D-line, but I am concerned about the lack of O-line that you drafted. If we can start solidfing the trenches I consider this a successful offseason. I really like the pick of Forte. Another prospect that I like at RB like at RB is Green-Ellis.

Thanks for the comments. My thought behind the OL is we will probably go after an OG through FA. That could be Alan Faneca, or a guy like Floyd Womack. At the end of FA, I think we will have probably 2 new OLinemen. With Greco, we hopefully have our future LT. Then we have Blalock as our LG. With the FA OG, we have another starter (RG). I think that either Clabo or Foster is our future at RT as well. So basically all we need is a C (possibly Datish?), and depth. It just sucks that we have so many holes, and won't be able to fill all of them right away. Once again thanks for reading.

I agree it sucks that we have so many holes. I meant to ask about DeCoud. I have not heard anything about him. Is he another project? I guess my thinking on the o-line is try to get 2 tackles out of this strong group and we could move Clabo back to RG. But I would also like to get Womack.

Totally off the mock, What do you think of Jason Rivers and Jayson Foster?

hornsmd (1/20/2008)
I agree it sucks that we have so many holes. I meant to ask about DeCoud. I have not heard anything about him. Is he another project? I guess my thinking on the o-line is try to get 2 tackles out of this strong group and we could move Clabo back to RG. But I would also like to get Womack.

Totally off the mock, What do you think of Jason Rivers and Jayson Foster?

I like DeCoud. He is a hard-hitter, and a really good tackler. I'm not sure about his coverage skills though. At the least, he would be a really good special teams player. To be honest though, with a 5th-round pick, we can't expect him to come in and be a solid starter though.

I don't know anything about Foster. He's the kid out of Ga. Southern right? I like Jason Rivers. He's a good, physical receiver. I could see him being a good red-zone threat, but I'm not sure where he's projected to go in the draft. I could see us going after a lower-tier WR through FA as well.

That mock is almost exactly like mine, we got a lot of the same players and same positions. So it's excellent.;) I think we will sign at least 1 offensive lineman through Free Agency which would allow for us to solve our bigger needs (QB,LB,RB) earlier in he draft. Remember there are some talented tackles that can be had in later rounds.

The only bad thing I can say is, we didn't really get a KR. Jerome Mathis is a FA or we can get a KR in the 7th round. Other then that this is one of the best mocks I've seen IMO.

I like the draft. However, two things that stood out to me-

1. It is very unlikely that Dorsey slips that far. He may slip to 2, but I think the Rams snatch him up if he falls there. Not disagreeing that I would take him if he is on the board, but I just don't see him falling to us.

2. Robert Felton was on the line that blocked for DMac and Felix Jones, but I'm concerned that may be a little to high for him. He's big and strong, but very immobile, and may have trouble with athletic DT's. NFLdraftcountown.com has him rated as a late round prospect. That may change after the combines, so who knows.

Other that that, very well throught out post. Good job.

Scott,

great effort and I appreciate all the time that you put into your post with all the detail. OK here goes:

Head Coach:

I agree with you Steve Spagluolo is the the man!

Free agency:

I also agree - don't waste money on Michael Turner when we can get a cheaper, younger alternative in the draft.

Alan Faneca will be expensive but the Offensive Line needs a talented player, a leader and a butt-kicker and Faneca is it - spend the money here

Draft:

I think your layout of the first four picks is reasonable. I also agree that Dimitroff is not scared to pass on QB in 1st round and Dimitroff appreciates the depth of this draft at the QB position.

Assuming Falcons land at #4(hope so - they can be 3,4 or 5) I think there will be a consensus "top 4" in

Chris Long

Jake Long

Glen Dorsey

Darren McFadden

If Falcons have a "top 4" pick, they better have one of those four players or I will be Pizzed! I really at this point would rather "wait" on the RB but if the other 3 guys I have listed above were gone, I would just go ahead and take Run DMc. I personally am hoping for Jake Long to solidify LT for next 10 years.

I think Falcons will take QB with our first 2nd round pick - I don't like Woodson and prefer Joe Flacco (as you suggested).

I don't really like the rest of your draft in all honesty. I would rather "wait" on MLB for another round or two and get Jonathan Goff or Vince Hall. I also cannot really see why we would take 2 more defensive ends - We have JA, JA and Chauncey. I agree we need one more DE but not two - we have way too many needs on this team to double draft at one position like that.

You can see my picks in my sig below.......good job though Scott - i always like to hear what you have to say....:)

Norwood32 (1/20/2008)
That mock is almost exactly like mine, we got a lot of the same players and same positions. So it's excellent.;) I think we will sign at least 1 offensive lineman through Free Agency which would allow for us to solve our bigger needs (QB,LB,RB) earlier in he draft. Remember there are some talented tackles that can be had in later rounds.

The only bad thing I can say is, we didn't really get a KR. Jerome Mathis is a FA or we can get a KR in the 7th round. Other then that this is one of the best mocks I've seen IMO.

Thanks for the feedback Norwood. I thought about the KR situation, and I think we should probably just take the best athlete with our last 7th round pick. I see guys talking about Foster from Ga. Southern, as strictly a KR/PR. I think that Jennings got better later in the year, but he is far from great. There will probably be some guys late in the draft that are pretty much fast, return guys that we could look at. Thanks again for the comments.

dyoshot (1/20/2008)
I like the draft. However, two things that stood out to me-

1. It is very unlikely that Dorsey slips that far. He may slip to 2, but I think the Rams snatch him up if he falls there. Not disagreeing that I would take him if he is on the board, but I just don't see him falling to us.

2. Robert Felton was on the line that blocked for DMac and Felix Jones, but I'm concerned that may be a little to high for him. He's big and strong, but very immobile, and may have trouble with athletic DT's. NFLdraftcountown.com has him rated as a late round prospect. That may change after the combines, so who knows.

Other that that, very well throught out post. Good job.

Thanks for the comments dyoshot.

1. I feel that come draft day, Dorsey and Ellis will be ranked right around each other. Dorsey could very well go #1 overall to Miami, if they go with the 4-3, if not, he could possibly go to St. Louis. But with St. Louis taking a DL last year (Carriker), I think they will probably go with the best OT, in Jake Long. But who knows. I feel confident that either Dorsey or Ellis will be available when we pick, and I think they are both very good, and similar. Some may even prefer Ellis, but I like Dorsey. Either one would greatly improve our line.

2. From the times I saw Felton play, he looked good IMO. He and Luigs really stood out to me. nfldraftscout.com has him as a 3-4th rounder now, but it's all speculation. If he indeed has problems with athleticism, we could go for a guy like Benedict (Newberry), or even Eric Young (Tennessee). Young is coming off of an injury, but if he could get healthy and be taken in the 3rd or 4th round, he would be a steal IMO.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback g-dawg.

Honestly I would have no problems with Flacco or Woodson. I think Woodson was nothing less than great this past year, doing so in the toughest conference, and leading his team to a win against the would-be national champions. He wasn't surrounded with great talent, but made everyone around him better, something a good QB does. His delivery worries me, but I think scouts will let him know that he needs to get it "adjusted," not necessarily perfected, in order to succeed in the NFL. With a good QB coach, that can be fixed to a degree. He has a lot of what you look for in a QB. He's big, strong-armed, a good leader, and undoubtedly played top competition. Like I said though, Flacco would be fine with me.

As far as our MLB situation, I think Mayo is the real deal. I honestly don't know enough about Goff or Hall to assess them, but Mayo is a great player. He can play any of the LB spots at a very high level, and he would be our future MLB after he bulks up a little bit. I think if he would have waited until next year to enter the draft, he would have been a 1st-rounder.

I figured people wouldn't like us going for two DEs. My feelings behind this are like this. I don't think we can expect 6th and 7th rounders to be starters. Last year's draft was amazing for us, in the fact that every draft pick made the team. That is unheard of, and is largely due to the fact that we don't have much talent around us. The reason I like the guys I took is because I think both could be outstanding pass-rushers. Evidently Spagnoulo did wonders for all of the NYG defensive players, and I think he could get the most out of Ibewema and Clermond. Chances are one of them will fail to make the team, but the competition to beat out the other would make them better players. Who knows, maybe they could turn out to be a poor-mans Umenyiora and Tuck. It would be nice to have fresh, talented players come into the game in strictly a pass-rushing situation. As I said in my post, maybe one of them can be one of those guys that comes out of nowhere and racks up 6-12 sacks a year. We could change one of those DE picks to a DT, or another OL as well. Thanks for the feedback.

excellent mock, i appreciate the time and effort in giving us something to talk about and read here on the board.

I pretty much can't argue with the first round selection you have, i would be happy with either dorsey or ellis. i believe you pare either one of them with lewis, and babs as a backup, add in abraham and another year of experience and strength training for anderson and we have a possibly dominant d-line.

i am personally not a fan of woodson in the least. i agree with you in after watching dimitroff's press conference, he will not being going qb in the first, and i honestly think he might wait until our third. after redman's performance at the end of the season, i like the thought of picking up a mid round qb and giving him a year or two to develop.

i personally am very anxious and upset that we never got to see tony taylor in much game action this season. i know he came here udfa, but so did jessie tuggle. i've seen his gamechaning ability, and am not sure i'm ready to give up on him yet. i do think we need to replace brooking at some point, i feel we have more pressing holes that can be handled this early in the draft and brook is still a serviceable LB.

I like the OL additions. Datish, if i remember correctly injured his hand, so he should have still been able to work out, add strength, and will still have a year of NFL film study under his belt. Foster i think will be a good RT. He has his problems with speed rushers, but was rarely overpowered. he also run-blocked extremely well.

I know i sound like i'm being extra critical, the only thing is i really really hope we don't draft woodson, (but i'd be happy with flacco, johson, etc... like you said). overall i have a few things i would like different, but i would still be extremely happy if things turned out this way. thanks for the mock.

birds_till_death (1/20/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)
im telling yall, tha year for linebackers is next year.

james laurinaitis

rey maualuga

brandon spikes

jasper brinkley

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but laurinaitis decided to go back to ohio state for his senior season. we're going to to have to wait one more year before he comes out.

you have it wrong bird-til-death, - he said NEXT year is the year for LBs like Lauranitis

thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)

james laurinaitis

rey maualuga

brandon spikes

jasper brinkley

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but laurinaitis decided to go back to ohio state for his senior season. we're going to to have to wait one more year before he comes out.

He was talking about next year's LB class.

I think Mayo is better than Spikes and Brinkley, and just a step behind Laurinaitis. I haven't seen Maulaluga enough to make a judgment on him.

excellent mock, i appreciate the time and effort in giving us something to talk about and read here on the board.

I pretty much can't argue with the first round selection you have, i would be happy with either dorsey or ellis. i believe you pare either one of them with lewis, and babs as a backup, add in abraham and another year of experience and strength training for anderson and we have a possibly dominant d-line.

i am personally not a fan of woodson in the least. i agree with you in after watching dimitroff's press conference, he will not being going qb in the first, and i honestly think he might wait until our third. after redman's performance at the end of the season, i like the thought of picking up a mid round qb and giving him a year or two to develop.

i personally am very anxious and upset that we never got to see tony taylor in much game action this season. i know he came here udfa, but so did jessie tuggle. i've seen his gamechaning ability, and am not sure i'm ready to give up on him yet. i do think we need to replace brooking at some point, i feel we have more pressing holes that can be handled this early in the draft and brook is still a serviceable LB.

I like the OL additions. Datish, if i remember correctly injured his hand, so he should have still been able to work out, add strength, and will still have a year of NFL film study under his belt. Foster i think will be a good RT. He has his problems with speed rushers, but was rarely overpowered. he also run-blocked extremely well.

I know i sound like i'm being extra critical, the only thing is i really really hope we don't draft woodson, (but i'd be happy with flacco, johson, etc... like you said). overall i have a few things i would like different, but i would still be extremely happy if things turned out this way. thanks for the mock.

Thanks for the comments. I think Flacco and Woodson will be ranked around each other by draft day. I really think one of them has a good chance to be taken in the first, but with all playoff teams picking late in the first, the need for a QB is minimal. I think the 2nd will be where we draft our future QB, and I think that's either Woodson or Flacco. It should be interesting to see what direction we go in.

I too really wanted to see more of Tony Taylor. You're right about Brooking, we do need to find his eventual replacement. With Dorsey and Trey Lewis in front of him, his production should get better from this past year, but I still think Mayo in the 2nd would be an excellent pick. A LB duo of Boley and Mayo would be great IMO.

Thanks again for the feedback.

g-dawg (1/20/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/20/2008)

james laurinaitis

rey maualuga

brandon spikes

jasper brinkley

you have it wrong bird-til-death, - he said NEXT year is the year for LBs like Lauranitis

my fault, i misread the post. sorry bout that

Culain (1/20/2008)
I like your first pick (Dorsey), and 4th (Forte)

Don't much like the rest

Greco is only 300lbs they said at EW Shrine game he was down 20 below listed weight.

Felton is listed as a super slow OG, that tires out way too easy.

The weight of an OT isn't super important. Footwork and technique are key, and I think Greco is very good in that regard. Weight is overrated IMO. Look at Phillip Loadholt, he simply is a big, blob of a man. I'll take a "technician" any day of the week. As far as Felton, that's a pick I'm having second thoughts about. A better pick may be Benedict from Newberry. I'm interested as to why you don't like a lot of it.

grendel (1/20/2008)
Culain (1/20/2008)
I like your first pick (Dorsey), and 4th (Forte)

Don't much like the rest

Greco is only 300lbs they said at EW Shrine game he was down 20 below listed weight.

Felton is listed as a super slow OG, that tires out way too easy.

They said he was down 20 lbs from his listed 330 lb weight, which would make him 310. I'll take 310 lbs of quicker, stronger, in better shape LT over an out of shape 330 lbs.

Yep, definetly agree with that.