Jamaal Anderson

Jeremy Jones

Michael Strahan had 1 sack in his first year, 4.5 in his second, 7.5 in his third, 5 in his fourth, and then finally 14 in his fifth year. Was he a bust? This is the player that Jamaal was compared too. Left ends usually take longer to break out, because they focus so much on run blocking. Give him time and he could turn in to Strahan, especially since he was a wide receiver only a couple of years ago.

I agree -- give him a chance. I kind of think that since we had a college coaching staff minus our coordinators, we should see a better Jamaal Anderson next year when we get a real NFL coaching staff in here. He was terrible this year, but I am not ready to write the kid off because hopefully, he will work in the offseason to get better, lose some weight and come in READY to become great! At least that is what I hope.

DE is a tough position to transfer from college to the pros. The speed change makes it a huge learning curve, much the way it takes Wide Receivers two or three years to begin to shine. HE has the raw talent and the tools to become a good defensive end. Maybe not Pat Kerney good, but hopefully good enough.

I'm not sure what you consider a bust, but heres his stats.

30 tackles, 26 solo, 4 assits. Now Willie McGinest had 30 tackles, 19 solo, 11 assist. So does that make McGinest a bust. Didn't think so. What about Aaron Smith 30 21 9. Starting to catch a trend here. Give the kid a chance to improve. God knows he's doing better than any of you "fans" would.

Jeremy Jones (1/20/2008)
Michael Strahan had 1 sack in his first year, 4.5 in his second, 7.5 in his third, 5 in his fourth, and then finally 14 in his fifth year. Was he a bust? This is the player that Jamaal was compared too. Left ends usually take longer to break out, because they focus so much on run blocking. Give him time and he could turn in to Strahan, especially since he was a wide receiver only a couple of years ago.

Strahan played in 9 games and did not start even 1 and he was still able to get a sack. He was not called upon to start and make an immediate impact in the league like Anderson. You think you have a good comparison but its actually poor. a 16 game starter vs 0. Strahan became all time great so i see why you may want to compare but you want a good comparison find another player that started 16 games at DE and did not record a sack. Good luck finding one and if you do tell me how good of a player they are.

I think that no one of us are saying that he will not become a probowler one day, or win for most sacks in the season, again, one day. Actually he's a poject.

The real point is that he was not an "impact player" as we expect from a 8# overall pick. Look at the other players around him (Okoye, Willis, Landry as defensive examples).

Now we have to wait to call him a bust, but we can agree when people write that he didn't deserve the 8# overall pick.

Now we must support him as all other Falcons' players and possibly more, to hope that he will become, maybe already next season, the player that we need.

:)

thenfl (1/20/2008)
Jeremy Jones (1/20/2008)

Strahan played in 9 games and did not start even 1 and he was still able to get a sack. He was not called upon to start and make an immediate impact in the league like Anderson. You think you have a good comparison but its actually poor. a 16 game starter vs 0. Strahan became all time great so i see why you may want to compare but you want a good comparison find another player that started 16 games at DE and did not record a sack. Good luck finding one and if you do tell me how good of a player they are.

Just because he started, doesn't mean he had a lot more playing time then guys like Strahan. I saw Davis in there a lot, especially on third downs. They tend to develope players against the run before they worry with pass rushing.

Chillout (1/20/2008)
I think that no one of us are saying that he will not become a probowler one day, or win for most sacks in the season, again, one day. Actually he's a poject.

The real point is that he was not an "impact player" as we expect from a 8# overall pick. Look at the other players around him (Okoye, Willis, Landry as defensive examples).

Now we have to wait to call him a bust, but we can agree when people write that he didn't deserve the 8# overall pick.

Now we must support him as all other Falcons' players and possibly more, to hope that he will become, maybe already next season, the player that we need.

:)

Last year when I got him I said very similar things. I knew that he wasn't an impact player. The Falcons do crap like that all of the time. Listen to too much hype!

I will say that I think it was a very poor idea for a team that had so many holes to draft a "project player" with such a high pick. You're never certain of what a player will become when he gets to the NFL but we should have tried to get a player who had proven himself more in college.

I also do not think it is totally unreasonable to think that McKay should have looked forward to this years draft last year and considered if this year was deeper at DE.

I don't think hes a bust. He started all 16 games, our head coach only started 13. Now that guy is a bust :P

With that being said I'm not sure anyone other than Boley, Norwood, and Hall had any kind of impact this season so to argue that he's a bust or not is a load of garbage when the majority of his teammates played the same way this season: atrocious. I blame Petrino, mostly, pretty much for everything, never liked him from the start, glad he's gone for good. :)

Dem Birds Can Fly (1/20/2008)
thenfl (1/20/2008)
Jeremy Jones (1/20/2008)

Just because he started, doesn't mean he had a lot more playing time then guys like Strahan. I saw Davis in there a lot, especially on third downs. They tend to develope players against the run before they worry with pass rushing.

Not many DE's can play every down. there is a huge difference between a 16 game starter and a 0 game starter who only saw time in 9 games.

How could you possibly believe Strahan saw just as much time as Anderson? Some fans just need to be realistic. He had a horrible year. Let him do something before you defend him. I dont think there is anyone that doesnt believe that he will play much better next year but the majority of fans can acknowledge just how bad he was this season.