UN: Israel Guilty of War Crimes in Gaza

womfalcs3

http://arabnews.com/?page=4&section=0&arti...d=20&m=1&y=2008

GENEVA, 20 January 2008 Israel s targeting of a Hamas government office which caused serious casualties at a nearby wedding party was a war crime and those responsible should be punished, a United Nations official said yesterday.

John Dugard, UN special rapporteur on the human rights situation in the occupied territories, slammed the killing of Palestinians in other attacks and the closing of border crossings.

Those responsible for such cowardly action are guilty of serious war crimes and should be prosecuted and punished for their crimes, Dugard said.

Recent action violates the strict prohibition on collective punishment contained in the Fourth Geneva Convention, said Dugard in the statement put out by the UN Human Rights Commission. It violates one of the basic principles of international humanitarian law that military action must distinguish between military and civilian targets.

He said that Israel must have known about the wedding party in the Gaza Strip close to the Interior Ministry when it launched missiles at the building on Friday.

The massive airstrike destroyed the ministry building, sending a tide of shrapnel crashing against adjacent apartment buildings and killing a 47-year-old woman.

Around 50 people were wounded in the blast, including several children. At least 30 of the victims had been attending the wedding party near the building.

The killing of some 40 Palestinians in Gaza in the past week, the targeting of a government office near a wedding party venue with what must have been foreseen loss of life and injury to many civilians, and the closure of all crossings into Gaza raise very serious questions about Israel s respect for international law and its commitment to the peace process, Dugard said in a statement.

The United States and other participants in the Annapolis conference in November to relaunch the Middle East peace process are under both a legal and a moral obligation to compel Israel to cease its actions against Gaza and to restore confidence in the peace process, ensure respect for international law and protect civilian life, he said.

In Cairo, Arab League chief Amr Moussa condemned the attacks on Gaza, saying they could affect current Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations.

Moussa strongly condemns the actions of the occupying Israeli authorities, including killings, destruction and the threat of death to more than 1.5 million people in Gaza, according to a League statement.

He urged the so-called international Quartet made up of the United Nations, European Union, Russia and the United States to exert pressure on Israel.

The Quartet must immediately move to stop the series of aggressions and to allow humanitarian aid to enter Gaza in order to end the humanitarian crisis ... and to avoid the collapse of current Palestinian-Israeli talks, Moussa said.

In Jeddah, the 57-nation Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) called on the United Nations to intervene to stop the bloodshed in Gaza.

OIC Secretary-General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu accused the Israeli military of committing successive massacres in the Gaza Strip, in which civilians were killed. He called upon the United Nations and its Security Council to assume their responsibilities and work to end the ongoing aggression against the Palestinian people and to end the arbitrary blockade of the Gaza Strip .

savwboy savwboy (1/19/2008)
I see the jew hating U.N. is back at it..

This is just one of many condemnations against Israel..Those dirty joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo's

Worthless U.N.

I'll agree.

Israel is one of the few TRUE allies we have in the ME, and I am DEFINITELY not counting Bush's saudi buddies. I would take Israel's continued existence over saudi, iran, syria, or pakistan anyday.

MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)

This is just one of many condemnations against Israel..Those dirty joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo's

Worthless U.N.

I'll agree.

Israel is one of the few TRUE allies we have in the ME, and I am DEFINITELY not counting Bush's saudi buddies. I would take Israel's continued existence over saudi, iran, syria, or pakistan anyday.

The US and the Saudi government are "friends", but that "friendship" is somewhat obligatory due to the history that dates back to the early 20th century. Israel and Saudi may not be friends, but they are not going to be in violent conflict any time soon... so it's moot to discuss it.

Israel's "friendship" with the US isn't sincere either. It's all based on opportunistic parasitic behavior. Israel's economy and military are sustained by the US, and the US gets benefits back.

Finally, the UN doesn't hate Jews. They call them as they see them. When Palestinians do something like this, the US media picks it up and that's all you hear. You don't hear about what Israel does. Then the mainstream mindset in the US is automatically switched to, "Palestinians are bad, Israelis are victims". That to me is ignorance at its best, and both sides are to blame. It's not a one-sided war... and the Israeli side gets all the aid to build its military, while the Palestinians use whatever they get for the necessities from which they are deprived.

womfalcs3 (1/19/2008)
MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)

Worthless U.N.

I'll agree.

The US and the Saudi government are "friends", but that "friendship" is somewhat obligatory due to the history that dates back to the early 20th century. Israel and Saudi may not be friends, but they are not going to be in violent conflict any time soon... so it's moot to discuss it.

Israel's "friendship" with the US isn't sincere either.

What makes you the authority on Israel and their sincerity? A biased religion fueled opinion?

It's all based on opportunistic parasitic behavior. Israel's economy and military are sustained by the US, and the US gets benefits back.

Finally, the UN doesn't hate Jews. They call them as they see them. When Palestinians do something like this, the US media picks it up and that's all you hear. You don't hear about what Israel does. Then the mainstream mindset in the US is automatically switched to, "Palestinians are bad, Israelis are victims". That to me is ignorance at its best, and both sides are to blame. It's not a one-sided war... and the Israeli side gets all the aid to build its military, while the Palestinians use whatever they get for the necessities from which they are deprived.

You have your Muslim based, biased, remove Israel from the map, WRONG opinion and I have my biased, non-religious opinion. Israel is not without fault, but the people blowing up Jewish schoolchildren in the name of Allah get pig ##### for sympathy from me! And the Saudi terrorists that attacked Amercia in 2001 can eat some pig ##### too! In fact all wahabism followers [that use it as a justification to destroy Israel and the Great Satan (USA)] can eat pig #####.

MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)
womfalcs3 (1/19/2008)
MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)

Worthless U.N.

I'll agree.

What makes you the authority on Israel and their sincerity? A biased religion fueled opinion?

It's all based on opportunistic parasitic behavior. Israel's economy and military are sustained by the US, and the US gets benefits back.

You have your Muslim based, biased, remove Israel from the map, WRONG opinion and I have my biased, non-religious opinion. Israel is not without fault, but the people blowing up Jewish schoolchildren in the name of Allah get pig ##### for sympathy from me! And the Saudi terrorists that attacked Amercia in 2001 can eat some pig ##### too! In fact all wahabism followers can eat pig #####.

Political correctness what??

I feel the same way as you do. Israel is attacked on a regular bases and I do not see the U.N. condemning anyone!!What does that tell you exactly?

MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)
womfalcs3 (1/19/2008)
MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)

Worthless U.N.

I'll agree.

You have your Muslim based, biased, remove Israel from the map, WRONG opinion and I have my biased, non-religious opinion. Israel is not without fault, but the people blowing up Jewish schoolchildren in the name of Allah get pig ##### for sympathy from me! And the Saudi terrorists that attacked Amercia in 2001 can eat some pig ##### too! In fact all wahabism followers can eat pig #####.

I'm not biased. I come hard on Hamas when they provoke, but I also have the ability to criticize the other side when they commit wrong. You admit your bias against Palestine. That's understandable since you don't take the time to learn about the truth. You probably just turn on Fox News or whatever biased and agenda-seeking outfit you may follow. I actually spend time to research a news event across many outlets from all over the globe to gain a more neutral view of what took place.

I also see you have no education from the last portion of your post, so I won't even attempt to straighten you out. If you had the moral principles to be cordial in your discussions, I may have spent some of my time to help out those in need of a little education, but that is unfortunately not the case.

womfalcs3 (1/19/2008)
MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)
womfalcs3 (1/19/2008)
MilAfterLife (1/19/2008)

Worthless U.N.

I'll agree.

I'm not biased. I come hard on Hamas when they provoke, but I also have the ability to criticize the other side when they commit wrong. You admit your bias against Palestine. That's understandable since you don't take the time to learn about the truth.

TRUTH is relative! I believe that palestinians keep poking the tiger (Israel) and then want to run and cry when the tiger attacks. You in past threads have stated Israel had no right to attack back so harshly after a small scale palestinian attack, you wanted the retaliation to be proportionate. That is your truth and I believe it to be wrong!

You probably just turn on Fox News or whatever biased and agenda-seeking outfit you may follow. I actually spend time to research a news event across many outlets from all over the globe to gain a more neutral view of what took place.

Sorry bud, watching Fox news (NOT EVEN PROGRAMMED IN THE TV) isn't what I do, but it would be way more fair and balanced than your Al Jazeera or other state sponsored stations that outright call for the destruction of Israel

I also see you have no education from the last portion of your post, so I won't even attempt to straighten you out.

This is a pretty ignorant statement! Just because I make an inflammatory statement aimed at people who use their religion in its most extreme form, to justify murder, I must not be edumakated? DERRRRRRR

If you had the moral principles to be cordial in your discussions, I may have spent some of my time to help out those in need of a little education, but that is unfortunately not the case.

I can be cordial, I just sometimes choose not to be. I guess you are perfect and have never been anything but polite. BTW, I wouldn't need any education from you, I have been there and done that. Plus I am already aware of the most common Middle East philosophy Jews=Bad and Arabs=Good

You and I are polar opposites on this one. We can talk anything but religion and ME politics.

While Israel certainly has the right to protect itself, IMO they are frequently in the wrong. I do not condone abandoning them at all, but with us mainly propping them up and supporting them it's pretty obvious why we have become hated over there. Now sometimes you're hated because you stand up and fight against "wrong" such as MLK and various others. But there are other times when you're hated because you currently have the biggest stick in the fight and you never fail to use the stick when things aren't going your way.

of course Israel has a right to exist (and it's a reflection of the dishonesty of the debate that i must preface this with that obvious qualifier), but they ARE NOT without fault.

Israel has killed and subjugated innocent people in Palestine. They raze entire settlements when one person fires a rocket from it. (Imagine if Dekalb Police just tore down all those apartments because 2 cops got shot over there.) They use cluster-bombs and other munitions that are generally banned.

They're also the 2nd biggest police state on the planet after China. Honestly the security checkpoints and armed guards and "show me your paperwork" is more like Nazi Germany than the US or a so-called "free" country. The US and Israel being allies and having mutual enemies is all good, but we should distance ourselves from their domestic security policies and criticize their trampling of human rights. We shouldn't blindly support them right or wrong, which is what we've done for a long time now.

and that doesn't make me anti-semitic, so don't even try it. criticism of the Israeli govt does not equal criticism of judaism (and even if it did, criticising a religion is not the same as being racially opposed to it or advocating its destruction)

now, I know some of you here will feel compelled to tell me about how palestinians blow up women and little kids. Yes, I know that. Everybody on the planet knows that. That's terrible, but ask yourself how that justifies what Israel does.

and just to throw it out there- people do realize that not all palestinians are terrorists, right? they're not even all muslims- there are palestinian christians. their faith tells them they have a right to be in that crappy piece of desert, same as the Israelis.

Well if you can brush aside the terrorism, then I'll just brush aside the police state.

j/k

But really, I agree with most of what you said.

We back Israel, but here is my theory of why they continue to exist.

With all the muslim countries and their opposition to Israel's existance or even the Jewish race (in many cases), why is Israel still around? Our aid? Maybe. God's chosen people? Some Christians would say that. Israel is actually being held back from Middle East domination? Could be.

Or maybe it is because most of Israel's enemies, need Israel. If anything goes wrong, they simply blame Israel and the illiterate masses all nod their heads, and shake their fists in agreement. The surrounding region is made up of corrupt governments and anything Israel does, keeps their people focused away from the fact, that they are impoverished/enslaved by their very own leaders.

And where a certain poster described Israel as a parasite to the US, why do some our funds (foreign aid) that go to Egypt and Pakistan get routed to anti-Israel and anti-US madrassa schools? Talk about parasitic, oh yeah and Gen Musharif also stated, that if we followed taliban fighters across the Pakistan border he would kill our troops. Tough talk from someone who get 10 BILLION dollars a year from us, to help out on that War on Terror!

Lastly, back when I was in Afghanistan, we used US taxpayer funds to send hundreds of locals in big jets to Mecca (for their pilgrimage) ((USA paid half and Saudi paid half)) as a goodwill gesture to the local population. However, the majority of the clerics sermons (info gathered from local and regional news stations)were anti-Israel/anti-Great Satan. So why did we help recruit new terrorists with our own tax dollars, or at least send them to the biggest Anti-USA rally in the world on our tax-paying dime?

If an organized terrorist force repeatedly killed civillians in my nation, and if it turned out that all of my neighboring nations were helping them out, and if it turned out that the United Nations declared that we should just roll over and die because of our race, then I would be a lot less nice about it than the people of Israel are.

Israel has caught the U.N. assisting Lebanese forces that were hitting civillian targets with rockets.

morphy (1/21/2008)
If an organized terrorist force repeatedly killed civillians in my nation, and if it turned out that all of my neighboring nations were helping them out, and if it turned out that the United Nations declared that we should just roll over and die because of our race, then I would be a lot less nice about it than the people of Israel are.

Israel has caught the U.N. assisting Lebanese forces that were hitting civillian targets with rockets.

LISTEN UP MORPH! You will need to turn in your Politically Correct Card ASAP! How dare you speak your mind when it has any shred of positivity for Israel! FTR, if you don't have anything bad to say about Israel, then just don't say anything at all.

:D