Official South Carolina results thread...

Ramen

Steve_Bartkowski (1/19/2008)
Ramen (1/19/2008)
With the first votes in, McCain's jumped out to a lead with Huckabee second and Romney a distant third.

If that holds up I guess we can stick a fork in Fred Thompson cuz he's done.

I agree. I think Thompson probably drops out if he doesn't place third tonight.

Ramen (1/19/2008)
Steve_Bartkowski (1/19/2008)
Ramen (1/19/2008)
With the first votes in, McCain's jumped out to a lead with Huckabee second and Romney a distant third.

If that holds up I guess we can stick a fork in Fred Thompson cuz he's done.

I agree. I think Thompson probably drops out if he doesn't place third tonight.

It is a shame that no one wants a man who will establish Law And Order in this country!!

I just did some math and the exit polls have McCain with 31.24%, Huckabee with 27.78%, and Romney with 16.07%.

CAUTION: These are "unweighted" numbers and typically networks weight responses to match the census, so the numbers may off slightly from what the official exit poll numbers will eventually show.

EXTRA CAUTION: These are exit polls and they are notoriously unreliable. I'm not putting this out as a prediction for the results and I'm not claiming these are in any way accurate. It's simply that the networks always talk about the exit polls in their coverage but almost never tell you what the results are for each candidate (which really, isn't that what we're all interested in anyway?). So I "stole" the numbers through some crosstabs available on several websites for my own curiosity and for anyone else who is interested.

savwboy savwboy (1/19/2008)
Ramen (1/19/2008)

It is a shame that no one wants a man who will establish Law And Order in this country!!

:rimshot:

:D:D:D

What you have problem electing someone who puts himself In The Line of Fire day in and day out?

Now that you've started the puns, there's No Way Out!

Ramen (1/19/2008)
Ramen (1/19/2008)

:rimshot:

:D:D:D

What you have problem electing someone who puts himself In The Line of Fire day in and day out?

Now that you've started the puns, there's No Way Out!

All that I am saying is quit talking about the man like he was Born Yesterday!!

Most of the votes that are in are from the Low Country, where McCain blew Huckabee out of the water, or from the Piedmont and Midlands regions (where Huckabee had a slight edge over McCain). No votes in from the Pardee region (about 7% of the voters), where Huckabee appears to have a huge lead over McCain.

Looks like the race could tighten up as the night goes on.

Ramen (1/19/2008)
Most of the votes that are in are from the Low Country, where McCain blew Huckabee out of the water, or from the Piedmont and Midlands regions (where Huckabee had a slight edge over McCain). No votes in from the Pardee region (about 7% of the voters), where Huckabee appears to have a huge lead over McCain.

Looks like the race could tighten up as the night goes on.

With 52% reporting, McCain's lead is down to 3%. A lot of the Piedmont region has been tallied, most of the Low Country, and the Pardee (pro-Huckabee) area is starting to come in.

It's starting to look like the race will come down to who does the best in the Midlands.

John McCain just declared the winner of South Carolina. Looks like a close contest (33% to 30% for Huckabee so far).

The winner of South Carolina has gone on to win the GOP nomination in every election since 1980, so we'll have to see if history repeats itself.

Ramen (1/19/2008)

The winner of South Carolina has gone on to win the GOP nomination in every election since 1980, so we'll have to see if history repeats itself.

I think it will. This was a huge win for McCain tonight, and a big loss for Rudy. Giuliani was banking on a Huckabee or Thompson win in SC. McCain's win could give him the momentum boost to carry Florida, and if he does, you can turn out the lights.

I think this is an election where republicans aren't voting for their "favorite" candidate, but rather the most "electable" candidate. Who gives them the best chance. And the fact McCain is the ONLY republican who hols a nationwide lead on Hilary and Obama in a head-to-head matchup means a lot.

DomeGnome (1/19/2008)
Put a fork in Huck. He's done.

Can't see where he's going to win any other meaningful primary.

If Thompson drops out then he's got a shot at Florida. Huckabee didn't get blown out of the water...it was a surprisingly tight contest.