Rex Ryan Is Our Best Option

mfrazie

Usually, I just sit back, watch and root for the Falcons. However the trends in the organization as of late have compelled me to speak out, regardless of the insignificance of these forums.

We need to take an honest look at our candidates. We should even look back at our "best" option that has become unavailable. Garrett is/was riding the media hype. With the emergence of Tony Romo, there was bound to be a coach riding on his back. Don't get me wrong; I think that Garrett is a decent coach. I just think that he is extremely overrated.

With that having been said, let's take a look back at history. Defensive coaches have a better head coaching tract record than offensive coaches. Understanding how to run a defense, to spread it out, to have it work together and to have each position support each other is much more important on defense. Defenses that do not work together get burned. On the other side of the ball, superstars tend to dominate. This is why I think that Garrett is an over-rated head coach candidate. With the Romo to TO get-out-of-jail-free-card, it's easy to look good. This was obvious when TO was injured; the Dallas offense suffered.

Now before everyone starts firing off about defensive superstars like Ray Lewis, let me explain why it's easier for offensive superstars to dominate. It's quite simple. The offense is the attacker. They choose where to go with the ball. They can game plan defensive superstars out of the game by throwing or running away from them.

My whole point is this: Rex Ryan is our best option, and he should have been given consideration before Garrett. Both of his starting corners were injured for most of the year, he lost Adalius Thomas to New England, but he still managed to lead the top six defense in the league. He obviously understands teamwork and passionate football, and this is the number one job of a head coach: to train, prepare and inspire your team.

I don't really know why the front office is sitting on their hands. They need to act fast before Baltimore resigns Ryan. They need to dig their heels in soon and stop the self-destructive landslide that started with the Vick scandal and included an embarrassing exit by Patrino. We need to start bringing in championship caliber personnel and it starts with Ryan!

if ryan was our best option then i believe he would have been hired already. obviously he is a masterful mind on D, but maybe there are some individuals who would be better fits for leading this team. i am not bothered by the delay so long at the FO gets it right. if that means letting ryan go then so be it. i like him too, but maybe there is something, some trait, that is greater in another potential HC that we have yet to interview. the one thing that does concern me about ryan are the reports that he had trouble containing the egos on the team, easing up on discipline a bit too often.

Superfan "! (1/19/2008)
As I understand it, Rex has withdrawn his name after his two interviews and is no longer an option. He's staying in Baltimore as a DC under Harbaugh.

Good post tho.

the only info i have seen is that they are offering him a raise to stay in baltimore. i do not believe he has withdrawn his name, and from what i understand he is still very much in the running to be our HC. but if you can find a link to your info id be happy to see it.

Superfan "! (1/19/2008)
As I understand it, Rex has withdrawn his name after his two interviews and is no longer an option. He's staying in Baltimore as a DC under Harbaugh.

Good post tho.

Really? Are you sure? Sorry, I must be behind the times. That sucks. Well, I guess our bad luck keeps getting worse. I was fired up about the possiblity of Ryan in Atlanta.

mfrazie (1/19/2008)
Superfan "! (1/19/2008)

Good post tho.

Really? Are you sure? Sorry, I must be behind the times. That sucks. Well, I guess our bad luck keeps getting worse. I was fired up about the possiblity of Ryan in Atlanta.

I'm not entirely sure about it. Like I said, "as I understand it", and a lot of that info comes from in here, so I can't be certain of my sources! lol!

bgarcia28 (1/19/2008)
I am sure that if Dimitroff offered Rex a HC position, he would walk away from Baltimore. The thing is that TD did not feel that Rex was his guy.

I wish D-Rex all the luck in the world. But, I am also glad that we did not hire him.

Maybe hes just being thorough.He could still be the guy.Dont act like you know what people are thinking.