Frazier Interviews

birdweiserrr

FRAZIER INTERVIEWS FOR FALCONS GIG

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2008, 5:47 p.m.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has interviewed for the vacant head-coaching position in Atlanta.

Frazier was omitted from the first round of head-coaching interviews, which were conducted by a nine-person clusterfudge committee. Thus, the move suggests that brand-new G.M. Tom Dimitroff has some real juice in the process.

ESPN.com also reports that the Falcons are expected to interview Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo if New York loses to the Packers in Sunday s NFC title game.

The Falcons didn t need to interview Frazier in order to comply with the Rooney Rule, which requires that at least one minority candidate receive a face-to-face interview for each head-coaching position. The Falcons previously interviewed Colts assistant head coach/head coach in waiting Jim Caldwell.

On Friday, we caught wind of rumors of a mystery candidate for the job. We ve been unable to dig up any more information on that point.

I really hope they interviewed him for something other than HC. He's not anywhere close to the top of my list.

I have not heard or read anywhere that they are interviewing for anything other than a head coach. Most head coaches select their own staff so that makes it more unlikely it was for anything other than HC.

Frazier has an excellent resume. Who are your contenders?

falcons4life (1/19/2008)
I really hope they interviewed him for something other than HC. He's not anywhere close to the top of my list.

I have not heard or read anywhere that they are interviewing for anything other than a head coach. Most head coaches select their own staff so that makes it more unlikely it was for anything other than HC.

Frazier has an excellent resume. Who are your contenders?

Frazier?? NOBODY wants Frazier. I was hoping he was interviewing for waterboy or something. Spagnuolo is at the top of my list. Singletary is 2nd (I guess this ruins your parade.)

Frazier?? NOBODY wants Frazier. I was hoping he was interviewing for waterboy or something. Spagnuolo is at the top of my list. Singletary is 2nd (I guess this ruins your parade.)

I would be very happy with Spags. Frazier is definetly qualified and would not be a bad move.

Singletary...well obviously you know my stance so no need to get into it.

Here's Frazier's biography..........Not too shabby.

Professional Biography

The Minnesota Vikings have named Leslie Frazier as defensive coordinator. Frazier comes to the Vikings less than a week after helping Indianapolis win Super Bowl XLI, the 2nd Super Bowl title he has been associated with as a player and coach. Frazier was a starter on the 1985 Bears that won Super Bowl XX over New England. In his 8 NFL seasons Frazier has been a part of teams that have gone 81-47 and has been a part of 7 straight campaigns with a .500 record or better and played in 3 conference championship games.

Along with his 8 NFL seasons under his belt, Frazier has another 11 seasons of collegiate experience. Frazier spent the 2005 and 2006 seasons with Indianapolis working with the Colts defensive backs. In 2005 Frazier helped the team rank #11 in total defense and sent S Bob Sanders to the Pro Bowl, the 1st Colts DB to earn a berth in the game since 1971.

Frazier got his 1st taste of NFL coaching from 1999-2002 with Philadelphia as the Eagles DBs coach. He moved on to Cincinnati in 2003 and 2004 as the Bengals defensive coordinator where he helped turn the unit into a ball-hawking group that increased takeaways from 24 in 2003 to 36 in 2004. The Bengals 36 takeaways in 04 ranked 3rd in the NFL. The 2004 Bengals notched 20 interceptions, the most since 1996.

Frazier started his coaching career in 1988 as the 1st head coach at Trinity College in Illinois. He held the position for 9 seasons and built the NAIA program from the ground up and won a pair of Northern Illinois Intercollegiate Conference titles before he moved on to the University of Illinois in 1997 and 98 as the Illini DBs coach.

Frazier played from 1981-86 with the Chicago Bears and was a starter for the 1985 Bears and led the team in interceptions from 1983-85. He notched 20 interceptions in his 65 career games and scored a pair of TDs on returns. An All-America honoree at Alcorn State, Frazier was a standout in football and baseball.

Twinblade (1/19/2008)
By talking to some viking fans, they told me that Rex Ryan and the DC from JAX would be a better choice.

Perhaps, but Frazier did more with less talent. If you recall, the Vikings' D did quite a number against us. Frazier is a Monte Kiffin/Tony Dungy decendant......we could do a lot worse.

Ryan's defense was made up of better players. The more I look into Ryan, the less I like him. He is not a bad DC, but he is certainly nothing special.

ol_dirty2 (1/19/2008)
birdweiserrr (1/19/2008)

And they should be concerned about who's on YOUR list because....?

I come to this board everyday, sometimes several times a day. Today is the first day I've seen Fraziers name mentioned. What are you telling me? Let me guess. Now that his name is mentioned he's the right man for the job. No one knew he was the right man until we heard he was interviewed.

Get real dude.

You homers kill me.

mjace71 (1/19/2008)
Would you mind explaining to me why Leslie Frazier is any less qualified to be head coach than steve spagnuolo? They actually have extremely similar resumes.

Good post.

I too am surprised at this Spagnuolo lovefest here. I'm sure if the Giants lost to Dallas 28-24, it would not be so. The truth is, the Giants should have lost to Dallas 35-21. Dallas made so many mistakes - that easily cost them 3 TD's.

To me, the Falcons are in between a rock and a hard place. With no Cowher, Parcells, and Marty, there will not be a proven coach to take over. So it looks like another unproven rookie and we all get to hold our breaths again. Spags, Frazier, Singeltery, McDaniels all have ? next to their name.

I guess if I had to pick among the four I named, I'd go with McDaniels because our GM knows him, and look at what he did in New England this year. Much more impressive than what Spags did in NY. Hiring a DC is much easier than a HC.

By what I want to know is, why no Rex Ryan? I really thought his resume looked the best.

I have realized that it will be a cold day in **** before most people realize that how good you are as a coordinator or what kind of stats your group did when you were a coordinator has very little relevance to how well of a Head Coach you would be.

If it were true, there wouldn't be so many job openings every year.

The Cush (1/20/2008)
I have realized that it will be a cold day in **** before most people realize that how good you are as a coordinator or what kind of stats your group did when you were a coordinator has very little relevance to how well of a Head Coach you would be.

If it were true, there wouldn't be so many job openings every year.

Very true. Very true.