Mock Draft.....pssshhhh...Tha Real Draft

KRUNKuno

So let's jump into it...

Rd 1: Jake Long, OT Michigan 6'7'' 315

---This is a case of "you never know until you try." Some might ask why you would spend such an early 1st on Long when there are other good tackles out there? My response is that Jake Long is tha most ELITE tackle in tha whole draft. Forget being mediocre, he is what we need and can only get better. He has prototypical size like that of Joe Thomas, and his intangibles can be molded into top notch. He's gonna be great, we all know it, but I think we are afraid to admit it. He will face one of tha best speed rushers in tha game in John Abraham at practice. He will be able to learn from his mistakes and start from day 1.

Rd 2: Pat Sims, DT Auburn 6'4'' 314

---Sims intrigues me more than a Dorsey or Ellis because of his size. He's a fatty, simply put, but an athletic fatty. He's a big, young body we can use on tha line. Abraham, Coleman's return (I hope), Babs, Lewis, Anderson's maturation (I hope), and Sims. Argue that.

Rd 2: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee St 6'2'' 175

---Shocker pick here, but why not? How do you try to sure up a defensive secondary? Put a rangy 6'2'' corner with speed and hands back there. Needs to bulk up, but I think it was said that he's working out with Deion Sanders' trainer. Look at it this way: Hall, Houston, Rodgers-Cromartie...we could generate defensive mismatches right off tha bat with all that speed and coverage. You gotta love it. Great coverage can generate sacks, people.

Rd 3: John David Booty, QB USC 6'3'' 215

---Atlanta has a plethora of strip joints. Just travel down Piedmont and you'll see what I mean. So why not bring in some more booty? John David Booty, that is. Seriously tho, Booty has what you look for in a QB. He has tha size, a quick release, and pocket presence. Doesn't have tha strongest arm, but he aint no weakling either. He's one of those players you kinda hate to love just becasue he's from USC. Of course he'll sit 1st year, and will be able to get a feel for tha game and all that jazz. Because he is one of those prototype qb's, he could be packaged as trade bait for Mr. Quinn next year:D.

Rd 3 (Kerney Comp): Cory Boyd, RB South Carolina 6'1'' 214

---Sleeper pick ALERT!!! Cory Boyd is a slimmer, quicker, more compact Brandon Jacobs. He's got fantastic hands and can run up any hole. Pair him with Norwood and nuff said.

Rd 4: Chris McDuffie, OG Clemson 6'5'' 330

---Adds another big, young body on tha O-line. Something needed and wouldn't hurt. this pick and previous pick (Cory Boyd) could be switched around.

Rd 5: Brandon Coutu, K Georgia 6'0'' 200

---BKA here. I believe Coutu could be gone before this pick. Kickers have gone a little high lately. His boot from 55+ yards out vs. Hawaii made me a believer. He booooooomed it. Everybody knows we need a kicker. If he's not here, Serna or Carmody are not bad consolation prizes. Either way this draft goes, we'll wind up with a formidable kicker.

Rd 6: Haruki Nakamura, FS Cincinatti 5'10'' 190

---TOO EARLY! TOO EARLY! Nope. This guy is something else. A lot of us have been enlightened due to some youtube footage, but statistically this guy is even better. Doesn't have the ideal size for a FS, but he has an eye for tha ball and can lay down tha law. he is tha LAWGIVAH!!! Quick and speedy. Shows a lot of similarities to Troy Polomalu with his style of play, honestly. His senior campaign as a Bearcat saw him lead tha team with 95 total tackles, 59 solo, and 3 forced fumbles. He had 5.5 tfl along with 1.5 sacks. HE IS A BALLER and will get drafted, I believe. He's contributed all 4 years at Cincy. check him out at

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...a_haruki00.html

Rd 7: Bo Ruud, OLB Nebraska 6'3'' 235

---Probably should take a linebacker earlier. But since my mock is so great, I had to take care of this position last. I'm going off of bloodlines here. He's tha brother of Tampa's Barrett Ruud. Has tha OLB size you look for and comes out of Nebraska, so I don't think toughness is an issue. A good pick to close out tha draft.

Comments, anyone???

papikaika (1/19/2008)
JDB will be available at Kerney`s comp. pick (if we do have a 3rd), so i`d put him there and with our first 3rd I would go with Kevin Smith.

Overall, not that bad of a draft and I wouldn`t be disappointed. I really like Pat Sims, he`s a terror on the DLine.

yea, Sims is who I really really want at dt. we dont necessarily need tha overly-finesse guy when we have coleman and babs.

I'm not sure about Smith's hands tho. plus he's carried tha ball more than a ton. might have some wear and tear on him.

squirreldawg (1/19/2008)
Very solid mock, I just don't know if the Falcons will be able to afford a Top 5 contract and fill most of their needs. I expect them to try to trade out of that early pick, but it will be tough to do.

I would prefer to trade out of the top 5 as well, but we should have enough cap room to sign a top 5 pick anyway. After we cut some veterans, and restructure some contracts, we will have enough money.....not a ton, but enough.

scott24falcs (1/19/2008)
squirreldawg (1/19/2008)
Very solid mock, I just don't know if the Falcons will be able to afford a Top 5 contract and fill most of their needs. I expect them to try to trade out of that early pick, but it will be tough to do.

I would prefer to trade out of the top 5 as well, but we should have enough cap room to sign a top 5 pick anyway. After we cut some veterans, and restructure some contracts, we will have enough money.....not a ton, but enough.

I'm not sure what it will take to straighten out the cap, but I hope McKay can clean up some of the mess he has made with some of those contracts to help Dimitroff have a successful draft. If the Falcons use keep the Top 5 pick, I got no problem with this guys mock. Very good top to bottom.

brvslugger10 (1/19/2008)
I rather take Curtis Lofton for one omy 2nd round picks rather than the CB

that's just tha thing, tho. This year's cornerback class is deep. This year's linebackers are good, but next years linebackers are gonna be killers. check out this list:

James Laurinaitis (we all know him)

Rey Maualuga (tha best out tha bunch, imo)

Brandon Spikes (has been anchoring Florida's D for a while now)

Jasper Brinkley (South Carolina's monster)

4 fantastic middle linebackers that all have 1st round written on them. I'll take my chances next year.

Booty is just as good as any qb in this draft. he's a natural quarterback. nothing forced. he's not a system qb like Brohm or Brennan. He's not as risque as Matt Ryan, and he's a better overall signal caller than Woodson. He doesn't have as much upside as Flacco or Johnson (who we have in DJ Shockley), but he's just as good. Tha guy's a pure quarterback, and for where we can get him it'd be worth tha decision.

Cory Boyd, who only justified my liking during the East-West Shrine Game, is a hardnosed runner and a fantastic reciever out of tha backfield. At 6'1'' 214, he's got tha size to move tha piles, or to bust it to tha outside. He's legit. Once again, for where we can get him, it'd be worth tha decision.

busboyisback (1/19/2008)
There are too many QB and RB prospects ahead of Booty and Boyd

I agree with this.....i think we can do better than Booty/Boyd......I like the rest of the draft though - substitute Jamaal Charles and Joe Flacco somewhere for those two and you've got a deal:D

Couple of things to think about:

-We need a pass blocking Left Tackle. I'm not saying that Jake Long can't play there, but it'd be a waste of his ridiculous run blocking talent to put him anywhere but RT. He's a pretty good pass blocker; but there are better ones in this draft alone.

-I kind of like the Pat Sims pick, though if you're looking for a true nose tackle, Red Bryant is a monster. 6'5" 326 lbs, runs a 5.16 40, and is damned near impossible to run on.

-I don't trust John David Booty as the QB of this team. Josh Johnson would be a perfect fit here, but I like what somebody else here said; with our 3rd rounder, we can have Kevin Smith, and then with the Kerney comp, we get Josh Johnson. He should(hopefully) be there.

-Boyd is over rated IMO. I'd prefer Kevin Smith. Actually, I'd prefer BenJarvus Green-Ellis in the 6th, but for the # that you took Boyd with, I prefer Kevin Smith.