Please Mr. Dimitroff, don't replay 2001

Telecaster

In 2001, the Falcons traded picks and players to get to #1 to draft the can't miss talent of Michael Vick. Now 2008, and we see where that got us. We traded with San Diego to move up 2 spots. Who did San Diego get? Ladanian Tomlinson. Which would you rather have?

Now in 2008, it looks as if we may have the choice of taking Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden. As much as I hate to say it, Vick was better than the Vikes Tavarius Jackson, and yet with a talented defense and a running game, they almost went to the playoffs.

This year, pick McFadden. If not him then Jake Long to help with whoever does run the rock, but please don't settle on a QB in which almost all of the other 31 teams says isn't even in their top 10 prospects coming out of college.

Telecaster (1/19/2008)
In 2001, the Falcons traded picks and players to get to #1 to draft the can't miss talent of Michael Vick. Now 2008, and we see where that got us. We traded with San Diego to move up 2 spots. Who did San Diego get? Ladanian Tomlinson. Which would you rather have?

Now in 2008, it looks as if we may have the choice of taking Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden. As much as I hate to say it, Vick was better than the Vikes Tavarius Jackson, and yet with a talented defense and a running game, they almost went to the playoffs.

This year, pick McFadden. If not him then Jake Long to help with whoever does run the rock, but please don't settle on a QB in which almost all of the other 31 teams says isn't even in their top 10 prospects coming out of college.

1. Vick didn't get us here. A terrible talent evaluator in Reeves, Mora Jr. and his idiot coordinators and schemes, and Petrino being an aweful HC got us here. Vick was one of the people keeping us afloat.

2. Vick over LT any day of thw week. Do you think that LT would have us in the play-offs? Do you think LT would have put up the same numbers behind our line?

3. A talented defense with the best DT duo in the NFL, the best offensive line in the NFL, and a great RB they almost went to the playoffs.

4. Is McFadden going to do anything behind the offensive line? NO, NO, and NO. How are we going to get Jake Long and McFadden without trading up and trading up big? You have no clue what you're talking about. This isn't fantasy Madden football.

The Falcon Ace (1/19/2008)
Telecaster (1/19/2008)

1. Vick didn't get us here. A terrible talent evaluator in Reeves, Mora Jr. and his idiot coordinators and schemes, and Petrino being an aweful HC got us here. Vick was one of the people keeping us afloat.

2. Vick over LT any day of thw week. Do you think that LT would have us in the play-offs? Do you think LT would have put up the same numbers behind our line?

3. A talented defense with the best DT duo in the NFL, the best offensive line in the NFL, and a great RB they almost went to the playoffs.

4. Is McFadden going to do anything behind the offensive line? NO, NO, and NO. How are we going to get Jake Long and McFadden without trading up and trading up big? You have no clue what you're talking about. This isn't fantasy Madden football.

First I'm aware I'm not playing Madden. Second I didn't suggest we get both because that's nearly impossible. I said one of the two. McFadden is a game breaker. Will the O-Line be a problem for him, probably. So if you think it's going to be that bad for him, take Jake Long. My point is take either instead of a QB.

If you would take Vick over LT any day of the week, you're the one in a fantasy friend. 90% of football experts would've taken LT over Vick before he was arrested. Vick's talent was enormous. Too bad he didn't have the desire and grit to do anything with it. A running game will get a team to the playoffs before a passing anyday. Case in point: Vikings, Cardinals, and Saints.

Vick did get us here. No doubt about it. Every pick after Vick was supposed to help turn Vick into something special. They picked players for their schemes. Unfortunately because Vick never could get them, they had to change schemes all the time. The players never knew what was going on on the field. While fantasy junkies were amazed at Vick's elusiveness, most of the players on the field were agitated because plays always "broke down" and Vick took off. When he did throw the ball it was almost impossible to catch. As poor as Harrington, Leftwich, and Redman did this year, White and Jenkins looked better than ever even with Petrino coaching them.

You are absolutely right. Having said that...

Why do the clueless ones start the most threads?

Chances are LT wouldn't be LT in the ATL.

See above...

McFadden's stock is dropping anyway.

Mendenhall may prove to be a more durable option and better fit for us imo.

Telecaster (1/19/2008)

Ditto. I'm glad there are knowledgeable fans out there.

Personally, I'd trade down and draft Kenny Phillips, and take a OT in the second round, but that's just me.

I agree with all of these points, except that the Vikings have two good runningbacks, not one great one.

SmashMouth (1/19/20080
Mendenhall may prove to be a more durable option and better fit for us imo.

I agree about him. I am starting to become a big fan of him and Stewart.

Telecaster (1/19/2008)

4. Is McFadden going to do anything behind the offensive line? NO, NO, and NO. How are we going to get Jake Long and McFadden without trading up and trading up big? You have no cl

ue what you're talking about. This isn't fantasy Madden football.

I like it so much, I'm quoting the whole post.

Telecaster (1/19/2008)
First I'm aware I'm not playing Madden. Second I didn't suggest we get both because that's nearly impossible. I said one of the two. McFadden is a game breaker. Will the O-Line be a problem for him, probably. So if you think it's going to be that bad for him, take Jake Long. My point is take either instead of a QB.

If you would take Vick over LT any day of the week, you're the one in a fantasy friend. 90% of football experts would've taken LT over Vick before he was arrested. Vick's talent was enormous. Too bad he didn't have the desire and grit to do anything with it. A running game will get a team to the playoffs before a passing anyday. Case in point: Vikings, Cardinals, and Saints.

Vick did get us here. No doubt about it. Every pick after Vick was supposed to help turn Vick into something special. They picked players for their schemes. Unfortunately because Vick never could get them, they had to change schemes all the time. The players never knew what was going on on the field. While fantasy junkies were amazed at Vick's elusiveness, most of the players on the field were agitated because plays always "broke down" and Vick took off. When he did throw the ball it was almost impossible to catch. As poor as Harrington, Leftwich, and Redman did this year, White and Jenkins looked better than ever even with Petrino coaching them.

I don't want a QB in this draft either, if any I would go with Brian Brohm. We need to sure up the offensive line and MLB position if we draft high. That is just my opinion of course.

A running game will get a team to the play-offs over a passing any day? No, a ballanced attack with a strong passing game wins championships. Unless you have a Superbowl Ravens or Bucs defense you are going to need a top level QB to win a Superbowl.

The only team in NFL history to go 17-0 and going is currently the number 1 passing team with the 13th ranked running game. They use Morris, Moroney, and Falk instead of one super RB. Our of the Top 10 passing teams and the top 10 rushing teams let's see who is in the play-offs. I'll throw in defensive rankings as well.

AFC Teams:

NE - #1 Pass, #13 Rush, #4 D

SD - #26 Pass, #7 Rush, #14 D

IND - #6 Pass, #18 Rush, #3 D

JAC - #17 Pass, #2 Rush, #12 D

TEN - #27 Pass, #5 Rush, #5 D

PIT - #22 Pass, #3 Rush, #1 D

NFC Teams:

GB - #2 Pass, #21 Rush, #11 D

NYG - #21 Pass, #4 Rush, #7 D

DAL - #4 Pass, #17 Rush, #9 D

SEA - #8 Pass, #20 Rush, #15 D

TB - #16 Pass, #11 Rush, #2 D

WAS - #14 Pass, #12 Rush,#8 D

The general pattern I see here is this.

High ranked passing, average rushing, and good defense makes the best teams. Teams with poor passing usually made up for it with good rushing and defense. Last year, a great passing game, mixed with a solid rushing game, added to a good defense won the Colts the Superbowl. I seem to remember a while back that no QB under a 80-90 QB rating won the Superbowl. The stats pages on NFL.com will not work past this year so I cannot expand and elaborate on that.

You can yell about they designed schemes just for Vick all you want, case in point. They made have "made it for him", well I could even tell that they made it poorly. Knapp doesn't know how to run a passing offense and always runs a high ranked rushing offense. Look at us, the 49ers from 01-03, and the Raiders this year. All teams that got worse in passing as he hung around and were high ranked in running.

Find me one article claiming they were mad or annoyed that when that terrible thing they called a passing offense broke down Vick played superman and bailed them out. Find me ONE SINGLE QUOTE. For you to claim Vick's passes were impossible to catch was the dumbest thing I ever heard. If you are even thinking about saying something about the pass velocity or spin just stop posting now. I love how you try to spin the fact our passing game did better this year on Vick. You failed to mention this was Roddy's 3rd year(the typical break out year for WRs), Joe Horn was in to mentor them, Hue Jackson was OC(made Chad Johnson and T.J. Whosurmama), and Petrino actually ran a passing game that made sense(actually allowed audibles, used routes like quick slants, used compliementary routes, and actually called passing plays outside of 3rd and long).

Take your spin game's and play it somewhere else. Before you do that though, take a moment to buy Football for Dummies so you might be able to learn about what you're talking about.

Not to take anything away from your arguement, because I tend to agree with your statements, but I think the real picture when considering the ranks of playoff teams this year is this: 3 of the top 5 passing teams (NE, GB, DAL) made the play offs. 4 of the top 5 rushing teams (JAC, PIT, NYG, TEN) made the play offs. But most notably, all top 5 defensive teams (PIT, TB, IND, NE, and TEN) made the play offs. Just something to consider.

The Falcon Ace (1/20/2008)

AFC Teams:

NFC Teams:

Telecaster (1/19/2008)

Anybody who knows football, knows that Vick only put us in the situation because of dumbazzz off the field stuff. If I could do the trade, I do it all over again. The problem is that you had a $100million dollar qb, a $5 line and .50cent WR's. Any successful team drafted and developed O-linemen to protect their investment (Colts, Patriots, et.al). Other than the zone blocking crap and no qb to take the pressure off the run game, do you think LT would have been as successful here? The observations on this board are mind boggling.

The Falcon Ace (1/20/2008)
Telecaster (1/19/2008)

I don't want a QB in this draft either, if any I would go with Brian Brohm. We need to sure up the offensive line and MLB position if we draft high. That is just my opinion of course.

A running game will get a team to the play-offs over a passing any day? No, a ballanced attack with a strong passing game wins championships. Unless you have a Superbowl Ravens or Bucs defense you are going to need a top level QB to win a Superbowl.

The only team in NFL history to go 17-0 and going is currently the number 1 passing team with the 13th ranked running game. They use Morris, Moroney, and Falk instead of one super RB. Our of the Top 10 passing teams and the top 10 rushing teams let's see who is in the play-offs. I'll throw in defensive rankings as well.

AFC Teams:

NFC Teams:

The general pattern I see here is this.

High ranked passing, average rushing, and good defense makes the best teams. Teams with poor passing usually made up for it with good rushing and defense. Last year, a great passing game, mixed with a solid rushing game, added to a good defense won the Colts the Superbowl. I seem to remember a while back that no QB under a 80-90 QB rating won the Superbowl. The stats pages on NFL.com will not work past this year so I cannot expand and elaborate on that.

You can yell about they designed schemes just for Vick all you want, case in point. They made have "made it for him", well I could even tell that they made it poorly. Knapp doesn't know how to run a passing offense and always runs a high ranked rushing offense. Look at us, the 49ers from 01-03, and the Raiders this year. All teams that got worse in passing as he hung around and were high ranked in running.

Find me one article claiming they were mad or annoyed that when that terrible thing they called a passing offense broke down Vick played superman and bailed them out. Find me ONE SINGLE QUOTE. For you to claim Vick's passes were impossible to catch was the dumbest thing I ever heard. If you are even thinking about saying something about the pass velocity or spin just stop posting now. I love how you try to spin the fact our passing game did better this year on Vick. You failed to mention this was Roddy's 3rd year(the typical break out year for WRs), Joe Horn was in to mentor them, Hue Jackson was OC(made Chad Johnson and T.J. Whosurmama), and Petrino actually ran a passing game that made sense(actually allowed audibles, used routes like quick slants, used compliementary routes, and actually called passing plays outside of 3rd and long).

Take your spin game's and play it somewhere else. Before you do that though, take a moment to buy Football for Dummies so you might be able to learn about what you're talking about.

Great post!

Telecaster (1/19/2008)

I haven't read any responses to this thread yet, given that this post just wreaks of hindsight 20/20, but the entire premise of this thread is irrelevant since he (Dimitroff) wasn't here to have any bearing or give any advice of who we picked that year.