If We Do Happen To Draft Andre' Woodson.....

Guest Gritz

I sent an email a couple of months ago to the Sports Information Director at the University of Kentucky. I asked him what type of kid Andre' Woodson is. Although any SID at any school is going to put the best face they can on any kid at their university I thought the following response I got today showed how exceptional Woodson is just as a person....

Tim, please forgive the long delay in replying. We stay overwhelmed during football season.

Based on what I have seen during his college years, I believe that Andre' will be a fine representative of the NFL team for which he plays.

I have seen him act with character on many occasions in many situations. Despite his tremendous popularity, he has been incredibly patient with fans and other people who have been very demanding of his time.

Andre cares deeply for his family and friends. For example, one of his friends was in a terrible car wreck and in a coma for weeks. Andre visited the hospital every day and read books to his friend so that the friend would continue to hear a friendly voice, even while in a coma. (The story has had a happy ending. It was thought that the friend might never walk again, after numerous surgeries and a couple of years of rehabilitation, the friend is now walking and looks good as new.)

Andre's faith has grown tremendously during his college years. I know he has spoken in at least one church and he strives to live his life in an ethical, moral way.

No person is perfect, of course, and anyone in Andre's situation will face new personal challenges as his situation in life changes. But I believe André will handle himself well as he adjusts to being a professional football player.

I believe the Falcons, or any other team, will draft a fine person as well as player when they select André.

Best wishes,

Tony

Tony Neely

Media Relations Director

University of Kentucky Athletics

Joe Craft Center

338 Lexington Ave.

Lexington, KY 40506

67camaro (1/19/2008)
Being a nice person does not win footbal games. He will be a BUST in the NFL make it down!!
I sent this email to the SID right after we got burned by our previous quarterback. I was only looking for character qualities at that point....

But how nice it must be for you to be clairvoyant about all matters.

Do you happen to have next week's lottery numbers near by?

My opinion is that Woodson will be a solid pro quarterback. Most mock drafts have him going to either Chicago or Baltimore. He's a major upgrade already over what those teams have at QB right now.

Telecaster (1/19/2008)
I would rather Woodson over Ryan or Brohm anyday. He's got tons more upside and played in a much tougher conference.

He would be the anti-Vick and Atlanta would love him.

If it was me, I would wait till the 2nd round and if he's available grab him, if not get Chad Henne.

Yeah, as much as I like Woodson I can't justify taking him in the 1st round for us. We have so many other pressing roster needs...Unfortunately I don't see him slipping into the 2nd round or lower.

I don't think he will last until the second round. A lot of the draft predictions have him going to Chicago. I personally hope we pick the LB out of Ohio or Chris Long and then go after a QB in the later rounds. Harrington and Redmon are not as bad as people want to make them out and we can build the team with them. If Chicago can make it to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman then we have just as much of a shot with those two guys.

MidWest Falcon (1/19/2008)
That's pretty cool Blitz. I think it is a great job on UK's part by responding back to you. Im sure it was a well written letter you wrote to the university. I guess a well written letter with correct grammar and spelling goes a long way........some people on this message board should remember that when they post :P
Thanks. I wrote it right after the entire fiasco with #7 was revealed. Like most Falcon fans at that time I was feeling pretty angry and betrayed.

I had always heard that Woodson was a really good kid. I was just looking for some validation of his character at that point.

For some reason a lot of people don't seem to think it's important anymore to write or speak well. I don't get that hung up on what other people do, but it's really important to me. I work for myself and have to deal with regular and prospective clients all the time. They need to have confidence in me.

xcomm (1/19/2008)
I don't think he will last until the second round. A lot of the draft predictions have him going to Chicago. I personally hope we pick the LB out of Ohio or Chris Long and then go after a QB in the later rounds. Harrington and Redmon are not as bad as people want to make them out and we can build the team with them. If Chicago can make it to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman then we have just as much of a shot with those two guys.

The LB out of Ohio is going back to school. I love that you want the Falcons to draft him and you don't even know his name. I bet you never even watched him play, you have just read other people's post's and want to sound smart :cool: Am I right?

I don't usually get to caught up in a players stories from college but that is a good story about his character and I can definetly appreciate the kind of person Woodson appears to be. I never believed he could thrive in the NFL but he was an important part to UKs success in the past couple of seasons so he'd be worth a look at it. I just don't think we should draft any QB right now, if he were to fall down the 3rd round I would be for it but from the way everyone is talking he may not make it out the top 15. Will see.

Andrew (1/19/2008)
I don't usually get to caught up in a players stories from college but that is a good story about his character and I can definetly appreciate the kind of person Woodson appears to be. I never believed he could thrive in the NFL but he was an important part to UKs success in the past couple of seasons so he'd be worth a look at it. I just don't think we should draft any QB right now, if he were to fall down the 3rd round I would be for it but from the way everyone is talking he may not make it out the top 15. Will see.
About 75% of the mock drafts I have seen have him going to the Bears with their first pick, for whatever that's worth.....

He won't make it out of the 1st round, so the odds of him ever being a Falcon are extremely remote.

I think he knew the name of the Ohio St. LB but was too afraid to try and spell the name Laurinaitis. Just a guess.

Anyway, I think Woodson will be a good pro. I don't think he is worth an early 1st round pick but he does have a great deal of potential.

I would honestly rather have Dennis Dixon for many reasons. We can get him in round 4 or 5 and I think he has even more upside than Woodson.

I really hope we decide to draft him. Like camero67 said, "make it down" guys, I think Dixon will be a superstar.

goosedaddy70 (1/19/2008)
I think he knew the name of the Ohio St. LB but was too afraid to try and spell the name Laurinaitis. Just a guess.

Anyway, I think Woodson will be a good pro. I don't think he is worth an early 1st round pick but he does have a great deal of potential.

I would honestly rather have Dennis Dixon for many reasons. We can get him in round 4 or 5 and I think he has even more upside than Woodson.

I really hope we decide to draft him. Like camero67 said, "make it down" guys, I think Dixon will be a superstar.

You have a good point :D That is unlike me too go at someone like that but I'm sick and tired of people posting who we "should" get and not saying why.

There comes a point that we have to stop looking to draft these high profile WR, QB, and RB. Games are won at the line in the NFL, without a quality O-Line all three of those positions will fail no matter who you put out there. They're all important positions I admit but we have to address our line first before we look to draft a QB that is only going to fail with our current o-line. If Dixon is around in the 4th or 5th I say we give him a shot but lets not get to excited about a QB when we have to protect him first, something we couldn't do with last years line.

I am right there with ya on that one MidWest. I keep seeing all these guys post that this guy should be drafted but with no substance to back it up.

Come on guys, give us something so that we know why you want these guys. We are not the psychic hotline but rather we want to know what you may be seeing that we don't. Thats all.

I like Dennis Dixon because the guy is extremely intelligent and super athletic. He throws with touch while also being able to throw bullets when needed. He gets out of the pocket really well but will go through his progression before opting to run.

Look at Oregon and Jonathon Stewart, who a lot of you guys want us to draft, before and after Dixon got hurt. Stewart was a much more effective back when Dixon was there and the team was in the top 5.

I just think this guy is the real deal. I may be wrong but its what I believe.

I don't know if Woodson will be a bust. None of us do. I do have a notion that he will fall to our second pick (or we will have the oppertunity to trade up and get him). Here is my reasoning: Woodson is a project player. He has work to do on pocket awareness and throwing mechanics, among other things. He is certainly not in a position to come in and start immidietly or in his first year even. I do think that he has all of the tools, and that he has intangibles that will not be measured at the combine, but will prove valuable to his career and progress. This email re-afirms this notion.

Interesting post, Gritz.

Joshua Affonso (1/19/2008)
I don't know if Woodson will be a bust. None of us do. I do have a notion that he will fall to our second pick (or we will have the oppertunity to trade up and get him). Here is my reasoning: Woodson is a project player. He has work to do on pocket awareness and throwing mechanics, among other things. He is certainly not in a position to come in and start immidietly or in his first year even. I do think that he has all of the tools, and that he has intangibles that will not be measured at the combine, but will prove valuable to his career and progress. This email re-afirms this notion.

Interesting post, Gritz.

Thanks. I'm a huge SEC fan so I've seen a lot of Woodson. I think your analysis of him mechanically is right on. While his throwing motion isn't as slow and deliberate as Leftwich's, it could definitely use some more tightening up and speed. I think his pocket awareness has improved dramatically since his sophomore year but it's still not pro ready.....good zip and touch on the ball...just okay mobility....Brohm is a lot more pro ready now, but Woodson might have the eventual higher ceiling.